PDA

View Full Version : I need a little help getting started.

Steve Culbertson
01-19-2006, 9:28 AM
I have been kicking the idea around for about 2 years now, to get into pen turning or not. Well the bug has bitten again (hard). Unfortunately this Jarhead doesn't know where to get started. I'm on a limited budget and need some help figuring out what/where to buy. I know I need a lathe, mandrels, etc., but do I buy a kit, buy seperately, HELP!!!!!! I went to woodcraft yesterday and they got up over $500 before I could get out of there. (Wouldn't it be great if checks were just like money ;) ) I really want to get started but there has to be a less expensive way. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

David Hayes
01-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Steve,
Welcome! As you are aware, you have to have a lathe, mandrel, pen kit, and at least a gouge or scraper. Everything else is nice but not necessary.

You can make a blank holder to allow you to drill the hole for the brass tube. I use two 1x4 pieces hinged together on one end with a 90 degree notch in each piece. A bolt and wing nut is through the end opposite the hinge to tighten the blank in the jig.

A pen mill is a nice convenience but there are people who just use a belt or disc sander to get down to the brass tubes after they are glued up.

The pen press is also nice but you can use quick grip clamps or a vice or your drill press (as an arbor) to assemble the parts.

For finishing, you need up to 320 or 400 grit sandpaper and a top coat. To keep the cost down, look at the HUT wax sticks.

To get started, I think you are looking at the following on a budget:
Lathe - $250
Mandrel - $10
Gouge or scraper - $25
Pen kit (10 pack of slimlines) - $25
Sandpaper/wax sticks - $30

So around $340. Maybe you can find a used lathe - that is the single biggest cost in getting started.

Good luck,
Dave

Andy Hoyt
01-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Steve - If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you look up all threads started by Bob Noles and Bernie Weishapl beginning around last Thanksgiving. It will be an educational and informative session. Then post again with the resultant questions.

Semper Fi

Bob Noles
01-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Steve,

The first and foremost thing is to come up with a budget you are willing to contribute to this hobby. From there, I think we could better guide you.

Ron Ainge
01-19-2006, 1:17 PM
for a first time turner on a restricted budget I would recommend that you look at harbor frieght for turning tools. I do not recommend there lathes but the tool they have will do you well to start with. I started with a set of 8 tools from them for about $40. They also have a small 3 piece set that sell for about $10 that would be good to do pens with, they are small so they would not do anything much heavier. You may want to be warned that you are about to fall into a very large abis and that the initial cost of the lathe is a very small part of the cost of tools that you will have on you wish list for ever.

RL Johnson
01-19-2006, 8:48 PM
It is one of the most expensive and enjoyable hobbies that I have ever taken up. If you are going to do pens then I suggest you learn to use the skew. I just hate sanding and the skew eliminates much of what I hate to do.