PDA

View Full Version : How do I hide this crack?

Royce Meritt
01-19-2006, 9:28 AM
After I applied my first coat of finish (Spar Urethane) to my gun case a crack appeared in the maple banding. I didn't notice this crack when I was assembling or sanding the top of the gun case. I don't know if the crack was already there in the piece of maple or if it happened during glue up or what. However, after the finish was applied the crack became QUITE noticable. It appears that I will not be able to sand the crack out. Somehow I need to fill this crack to make it less noticable. How would any of you deal with this crack? See my attached crude sketch for a little better explaination. Thanks.

PS- I should be ready to post a picture by the start of next week. Thanks for all of your help.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-19-2006, 9:33 AM
Royce, the only way that I can think of hiding that crack would be to apply some more finish and then sand the area, the sanding dust will fill in the crack. You will still be able to see it, but it would be filled.

Others should be of more help :)

Ted Shrader
01-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Royce -

Any chance you could saw the piece of banding off that edge and replace it completely? - - or maybe use a straight bit in a router (with a guiide for the router base) to trim it off?

Ted