PDA

View Full Version : Intro bowl

Rob Bourgeois
01-19-2006, 8:44 AM
I have been around this forum for a while, I just dont post much. And some of you might remember me from another forum which has become less than pleasant. I have only been "round" for a few months and while I dont see me becoming an exclusive turner only, I plan on turning a few things, and maybe talking part in the IT contest.

This is my 4th bowl (3rd by myself) . Its cedar and was given as a gift. I know it has a "bump" and not a complete smooth curve but I was going for a tulip shaped curve until a catch forced me to redo the lip. Its about 4-5 in diameter. I like turning cedar and I hate turning cedar. Its soft and easy to turn but it drinks finish and is easy to ding up or scratch.

Any comments are welcome. Yes my photography needs work...

Jeff Sudmeier
01-19-2006, 8:50 AM
I love it, that cedar really looks great. The form looks good from here!!

Andy Hoyt
01-19-2006, 8:55 AM
Rob - Very nice. Love the figuring in the wood.

Looks like a great vessel for a pint of Ginger.

Mark Cothren
01-19-2006, 9:21 AM
Hey Rob,

Great lookin' piece of Cedar! Glad you posted it in here. Looking forward to more!

Thanks for the picture!

Jim Becker
01-19-2006, 9:28 AM
Nice job on the bowl!! Very pretty wood.

BTW, it's best to use a white or grey background on your photos. You don't want to use colors, like blue or green, as those colors will be picked up on the surface of the object being photographed and skew the color.

Rob Bourgeois
01-19-2006, 9:40 AM
Thanks for the comments...
Expect alot more cedar bowls...I picked up about 18-20 linear feet of a few trees that range in size from 16 inches in diameter to 26 inches in diamter. Lots of center rot in it so lots of waste in a log. I got my eyes on another cedar tree down the street that I was told is coming out. I might have to make some into lumber... is that allowed to be said here.

Andy...This is the second cedar bowl from thw same log and both of them has this wild grain quilt pattern.

Jim..I will be producing a photo booth soon. I am tired of trying to figure out where to take the pictures. That happens to be on a pair of sweat pants from the laundry on my dining room table. This was taken whiel my wife and kids were getting in the car on our way to the post office to mail this out.

Mark...when( YES WHEN) I come visit, I will bring you and Dennis some. I need more floor space for the SE Louisiana pecan from my parents house that Katrina blew over.

Keith Burns
01-19-2006, 9:42 AM
Looks good from here. Nice form and nice wood:) . You have definately started your trip to the dark side:D

Michael Stafford
01-19-2006, 9:43 AM
Rob, I think you mostly succeeded in achieving the tulip shape. That is a hard one for all of us. Next time just round the lower section of the bowl some more and you'll have it. Beautiful wood, looks like it has some curl in it and I haven't seen much cedar with curl.

He, he, he, he thinks he is not going to be a turner exclusively. We got him boys and girls. He is now a part of the dark side......:p ;)

Rob Bourgeois
01-19-2006, 9:54 AM
He, he, he, he thinks he is not going to be a turner exclusively. We got him boys and girls. He is now a part of the dark side......:p ;)

Problem is...I like carving/scrolling too much and if I start carving bowls..I am a goner. I will resist that as long as possible.

I also should be considered ADD..nothing can hold my atttention longer than a few weeks before I have to switch to something else.

Also my wife started turning...so I might not be allowed on the lathe much till I get a second one( not in the cards).

Bernie Weishapl
01-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Rob that is a beautiful bowl. Great work.

Dick Parr
01-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the Creek Rob. Your first post is a winner. I love to turn cedar and you did a great job on that one. Hope to see more of your work here and on the flat side.:D

Rob Bourgeois
01-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Hey Dick---nice to see you again. Yep my first turned item post. Dont expect a flood of them.

I will post a sign carving with some scrolling over on the flat side(it's not really flat however).:) Just have to download teh pictures to the computer.

Travis Stinson
01-19-2006, 6:48 PM
That's some awesome curl in that Cedar Rob.
If you want, stop by on your way back up I-55 and take some of my Katrina score to play with. We'll get you fully converted in no time!:D ;)

John Shuk
01-19-2006, 8:33 PM
Rob,
Real nice job on the bowl.

Rob Bourgeois
01-19-2006, 8:58 PM
That's some awesome curl in that Cedar Rob.
If you want, stop by on your way back up I-55 and take some of my Katrina score to play with. We'll get you fully converted in no time!:D ;)

I dont know if I am going down there or its getting delivered here. But I can always arrange a weekend day trip. :)

I dont think you guys have a chance of converting me completely. I know many have said that and none have succeeded but I am a hard headed Cajun boy.

John Miliunas
01-19-2006, 8:58 PM
That is some great looking Cedar, Rob! And personally, I kind of like the little dip! Heck, I've got quite a few similar to that! :D I love the smell of Cedar while turning it, though you're right on the finish. Kind of a PITA..:) :cool:

John Hart
01-19-2006, 9:59 PM
It's funny....a year ago I woulda never thought cedar would look good turned...but over and over again I see wonderful pieces like this one. I think it's time that cedar got a better reputation. Nicely done Rob!:)

Pat Jeddy
01-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I like cedar too! Hope to see some more soon.

Jim Ketron
01-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Nice Job!
The figure in that cedar is beautiful!
Welcome to the SMC turning section Rob!
Keep them turnings coming bud!