PDA

View Full Version : Makita track saw splinter strip question

Bill Szydlo
03-25-2022, 8:45 PM
I recently purchased a Makita track saw and 55" guide rail. I adjusted the saw to remove play and the saw runs freely along the track. When I trimmed the splinter strip it left slightly less than 1/16" visible. Is this common? Saw travels smoothly along the track but I could not find anything in the manual that lists the amount clearance there should commonly be between the edge of the rail and the edge of the splinter strip. I read somewhere of someone over tightening the adjustment mechanisms and in effect bringing the saw blade too close to the track.

Just curious what normal should look like.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Phillip Mitchell
03-25-2022, 8:50 PM
I will measure mine tomorrow and report back, but that sounds about like what I’ve got. It’s not much.

The thing I have always wondered about that initial zero clearance of the the splinter guard...how do they expect you to trim the first and last ~3” (before and after the saw has bearing on the track in both places that register it square) ? I’ve always had more than one track and used the other track as a run in / run out extension to finish off that cut so that it was accurate. What if you only have one track available?

Bill Szydlo
03-25-2022, 8:53 PM
My best guess, from limited experience, is that if you are only using one track it's best to leave uncut portions on both ends. Since it's not advisable to have the saw only bearing on one of the adjusters they serve as a reminder of where to start/end a cut. Some people trim them with a knife but I doubt that would be accurate.

Thanks for taking the time to measure yours.

Marc Fenneuff
03-26-2022, 12:12 AM
Yes - leave the ends uncut. Only way to safely get that last couple inches is to attach a second track to the first. Better to leave the uncut portion as a guide to where you must stop the saw.

Phillip Mitchell
03-26-2022, 1:23 PM
Bill, my splinter guard is only 1/16” away from the track itself, FYI.

Bill Szydlo
03-26-2022, 1:54 PM
Thanks Phillip for checking. That's reassuring.