PDA

View Full Version : Apron back strap. What do you like?

Dave Lehnert
03-25-2022, 7:38 PM
Going to pick up a new woodworking apron. I have it down to the two styles shown. Very similar other than the back strap.
The "H" style back is the one I first picked out. The other is the traditional "X" style.
Anyone have ether style and likes or dislikes?
Going by the number of Amazon reviews, the "H: style is the best seller by far.

Jim Becker
03-25-2022, 7:56 PM
I can't resize the photos nor do I use an apron, but they both look like they would be comfortable. Does the "H" style also have the clippy-clasp thingie? I really like that feature...anything like this I've ever tried required tying behind my back. I also wonder if the "H" style adjusts better for different physical stature up top compared to the basic cross. People really vary in how wide their upper chests are. The one thing I like about both is they are not hanging on one's neck!

Edward Weber
03-25-2022, 8:04 PM
I prefer the X style.
In my experience the H style leaves the straps right on my shoulder blades and is uncomfortable. The X style sits neatly in the center between the shoulder blades and you barely notice its there. This is of course my preference and all body types are different

Dave Lehnert
03-25-2022, 8:05 PM
I can't resize the photos nor do I use an apron, but they both look like they would be comfortable. Does the "H" style also have the clippy-clasp thingie? I really like that feature...anything like this I've ever tried required tying behind my back. I also wonder if the "H" style adjusts better for different physical stature up top compared to the basic cross. People really vary in how wide their upper chests are. The one thing I like about both is they are not hanging on one's neck!

Yes they each have a clasp in the back to take off.
The "H" style apron has a metal tape measure clip I like. The "X" does not.
Im just concerned the "H" shoulder straps may want to slide off the shoulder ???????? But again it gets very good reviews.

Dave Lehnert
03-25-2022, 8:05 PM
I prefer the X style.
In my experience the H style leaves the straps right on my shoulder blades and is uncomfortable. The X style sits neatly in the center between the shoulder blades and you barely notice its there. This is of course my preference and all body types are different

Thanks Edward

Jim Becker
03-25-2022, 8:06 PM
Is there any adjustability to the top cross piece for the "H" design or is it fixed?

Justin Rapp
03-25-2022, 10:52 PM
I never understood the need for an apron for woodworking. I would think it gets in the way.

mike stenson
03-25-2022, 11:39 PM
I like an apron when I'm working with hand tools, finishing, or doing glue ups. Oh, also when it's under 80° in the shop. I prefer the x style.

Pat Rice
03-26-2022, 7:54 AM
My wife who does the laundry, pointed out the need for an apron :) Having worn one for couple of years I really like having my mechanical pencil, 6” rule, tape measure, dust collector remote switch and other items close at hand on the apron.

Rod Sheridan
03-26-2022, 7:55 AM
I never understood the need for an apron for woodworking. I would think it gets in the way.

Hi Justin, I find it keeps my clothes clean and prevents my shirt from catching on stuff…..Regards, Rod.

Maurice Mcmurry
03-26-2022, 8:39 AM
I like the criss cross, wrap around, tie in the back, for in the shop and for light carpentry. I also have and like Hickory stripe bibs with the zip on pouch, I am trying to avoid the nail apron, however the seat belt buckle works best.

476531 476532 476533

Jim OConnor
03-26-2022, 9:08 AM
Prefer the X style since they don’t slip down my shoulder. Be careful of the metal hammer loops or tape measure holders…. They can drag across cabinets and tools and scratch all your hard work.

Jeff Heil
03-26-2022, 9:15 AM
I thought I would find the metal tape loop helpful, except for when I kept frequently bumping the tape off and it always seems to fall to the least reachable location possible. I have the H back and it took a little bit of adjustment to get it to the right spot, but works well. I started wearing an apron to avoid dragging the sawdust back into the house and to keep glue and stain splatter off my clothing. I wear it most of the time in the shop to keep pencils, measuring, and small squares handy. Also gives me a place to put my reading glasses if I take them off.

Scott Clausen
03-26-2022, 9:38 AM
I should wear mine more but always seem to forget. I have the X straps but unless I slide the x leather holder way up towards my neck I will have my right strap fall off while using a plane. It is convenient to have a pen, square and tape at my side.

Frank Pratt
03-26-2022, 11:43 AM
I've had a couple of aprons with the X style & like it a lot. I'm never really aware of the straps, which means they are doing their job. I've never tried the H style.

Maurice Mcmurry
03-26-2022, 8:36 PM
For me, over the shoulders with the X in the back feels much better than around the neck and around the waist. The H looks good too. I wore my bibs today. I am having an unpleasant feeling on one of the two most tender parts on my chest. You know you are getting old when...

Lawrence Duckworth
03-26-2022, 9:37 PM
I saw an apron worn by one of the hosts of a home improvement show. It was leather and had a shoulder yoke that covered most of the back of his shoulder. I've searched and finally gave up. the apron may have been custom made...

Jack Frederick
03-26-2022, 10:14 PM
I wear an X-model from Duluth. It has wide straps, metal clips and I do not know I have it on. Very comfortable. I should wear it more often but generally only when paint, finish, etc.

Jonathan Jung
03-27-2022, 12:40 AM
Have both and like the X much more. Sizing is just as important though. I'd get a cheap one and edit it if you have basic sewing abilities, then order a real one from Calavera leather.

Jim Becker
03-27-2022, 9:32 AM
I wear an X-model from Duluth. It has wide straps, metal clips and I do not know I have it on. Very comfortable. I should wear it more often but generally only when paint, finish, etc.
I've been considering that one for quite some time to use during glue-ups which is pretty much the only time I get "more permanent stuff" on my shop clothing anyway. Almost everything I wear is from them, so... :) :D

James Spangler
03-27-2022, 11:05 PM
I also have the X-model from Duluth with nice heavy duty canvas (a gift from my wife). Once I get the straps adjusted properly, I can slip it on and off over my head without fooling around re-adjusting the straps.
What I don't like about it is the metal clips where the straps attach to the sides of the apron. I wanted an apron that I could through into the washing machine when needed, but I'm concerned that the clips will scrape up the inside of the washer. So last week I spent a half-hour hand washing it. :mad:

Bob Riefer
03-28-2022, 7:28 AM
My issue with aprons (I have that Duluth) was that depending on what I have in various pockets, I sometimes was getting jabbed/pinched when bending down or squatting. My small square for example was poking my thigh at times, and a longer pencil in the chest pocket almost got me in the neck once. Perhaps I have the wrong fit, but the issue was consistent enough that I gave up on wearing it... instead I have a couple pairs of Duluth fire hose pants and some ratty t-shirts that are dedicated to the shop so I don't care how messy they get.

Jim Becker
03-28-2022, 9:16 AM
Bob, that's why if I did choose to start using an apron for glue-ups, etc., I frankly wouldn't use the pockets other than maybe for a pencil. I tend to use a tool and put it back immediately, anyway.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-28-2022, 1:37 PM
I wanted to get something for use while sitting and carving; for example chip carving. I dropped a chisel once (doing dovetails) and it took a nice slice out of my calf. I do not expect an apron to cover my calf, but, if I am sitting and I drop something, I don't want to hit something in my thigh and bleed out.