PDA

View Full Version : SCMI 24" Bandsaw Questions PICS

Steve Mathews
03-25-2022, 4:28 PM
Despite doing quite a bit of research online I haven't been able to find answers to the following question about my new to me SCMI 24" bandsaw, Model SC600. Hope to get some insight here.

What is the purpose of the angled bracket with a hole in it on the upper backside of the saw shown in the following photo?

Anyone know where I can obtain a manual?

The upper and lower guides (photo below) seem to be original. Would different guides be better?

The saw came with what appears in the photo below. Is this the factory miter gauge?

Mike Kees
03-25-2022, 5:01 PM
Steve those guides look like Carter Zephers. I ended up buying them for my Centauro, I have no regrets they work fine for me. I have only run larger blades (3/4" ). I had a roll of band stock 3/4'' 3tpi that equated to exactly 8 blades ,so I am now on the last one. If that miter gauge fits the slot then I would say it is original. Pretty sure that these saws have a miter slot smaller than 3/4'' width .(Metric) Are the thrust bearings seized up on the guides ? If the main work for this saw is Resaw with wider blades by the time they are tensioned properly guides are nearly not even needed. As long as the thrust bearing works ,I would clean them up and try them out before plunking down more cash for new ones.

Mike Kees
03-25-2022, 5:05 PM
How about a few more pics of the wheels/guts of this beast.

Steve Mathews
03-25-2022, 5:36 PM
How about a few more pics of the wheels/guts of this beast.

Here are a few more pics. Yes, the miter gauge fits the table slot. It's a heavy cast part, which is a bit surprising. The long rods on the side appear to be for work holding.

Tony Joyce
03-25-2022, 7:20 PM
"The long rods on the side appear to be for work holding."

Most likely stop rods for repetitive cuts.

Tom M King
03-25-2022, 7:32 PM
I changed the blade guides on mine only because the ones on it were worn out. I only keep a 1" blade on mine for resawing, so they never get changed. I put Carter guides on it, and had to do some fab work for the bottom one to work, but it's been long enough ago that I don't remember the specifics. I ran it once without the upper guide, or the table on it to do one cut that was too wide to otherwise fit, and it cut as smoothly as if it had both guides on it, so I think they're not that important as long as they work.

Jim Becker
03-25-2022, 8:02 PM
I'd probably replace the guides/thrust bearing with new simply because that will be a "most assured" way to insure very smooth action for that function and probably wouldn't be a huge cost. You could stick with Euro style or choose alternatives that are made to replace Euro guides. Euro guides work very well for resaw type cutting and bands, IMHO.

For a manual, sign up for Parts Pronto at SCM and see if they have a downloadable manual available. That's about the only source I can think of if they still have one available. That said, there's not much to learn from a manual for a bandsaw so don't sweat it if you can't find one.

https://www.scmgroupspareparts.com/en/customer/account/login/

Dave Sabo
03-25-2022, 11:30 PM
My w.a.g is that bracket is for mounting a light.

Those are definitely Carter Micro-Precesion guides, and they’re still in the catalog. The Teflon coated side pieces look to be in great shape. The back bearing is a Zefyr and can be replaced if it’s bad. Clean it up and see first.

Doubt I’d replace them with trad. Euro Guides. Some guys swear by Laguna’s ceramic setup. I’m not one of them.

Mike Kees
03-26-2022, 12:50 AM
Steve that saw looks just like my Centauro with the doors open. Very similar design. On the bottom wheel is the pulley for the drive belts simply machined on to the back side of the wheel ? That is how my 1980 Centauro is made. If I remember right it cost me about $190 US for the Carter guides .the Euro 456 guides were closer to 400.

Steve Mathews
03-26-2022, 1:46 PM
Steve that saw looks just like my Centauro with the doors open. Very similar design. On the bottom wheel is the pulley for the drive belts simply machined on to the back side of the wheel ? That is how my 1980 Centauro is made. If I remember right it cost me about $190 US for the Carter guides .the Euro 456 guides were closer to 400.

Yes, the bottom wheel and pulley are the same casting. I was playing around with the guides yesterday and found the side pieces difficult to adjust. The back bearings still turn freely and were much easier to adjust. I'll probably keep them for now, at least until something better is found.

I also noticed yesterday that the fence is adjustable square to the blade to compensate for blade tracking. Never saw that feature before.