PDA

View Full Version : Plate tenon removal question

kirk Witmer
03-24-2022, 10:04 PM
I am turning some large red oak plates and was wondering how to remove. The tenon without Cole jaws. I don't think I can use a jam chuck since the face of the plate is flat and therefore it will not work. Thanks in advance.

Kevin Jenness
03-24-2022, 10:52 PM
Pinch the plates between the tailstock center and a drum or cup shape threaded on the spindle or held in a scroll chuck and cushioned with leather or foam. A vacuum chuck would work as well.

Dave Mount
03-25-2022, 12:43 AM
What Kevin said. Turn a small bowl with a tenon on the bottom. With the bowl tenon in a chuck, push the plate into the bowl rim with the live center. Make the bowl out of a wood softer than your plate wood, or pad it as Kevin suggests.

Best,

Dave

kirk Witmer
03-25-2022, 6:45 AM
Thanks Kevin, I currently do not have a vacuum chuck, although the other way would work quite well. Just curious if I could set up my lathe with a vacuum chuck. The lathe is a Rockwell Delta 46-450

Brice Rogers
03-29-2022, 1:54 AM
I made a big wooden face plate. (I went to Home Depot and bought a round glue up about 20" in diameter, and attached it to a threaded wooden block and then I trued it up.). I drew a whole bunch of concentric circles to help with centering. For some projects I hot glued the large plate to the faceplate. On some others I visually center it and the screwed in a bunch of wooden blocks around the periphery of the plate. With enough patience, it is very do-able to get the plate exactly on center with shims, etc.

Once I had the plate trued up it was pretty easy to remove the tenon. In fact, I also embellished the bottom with a bunch of ribs and grooves.