PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have Experience/Knowledge of the Jet JWP-16OS Planer?

Ronald Blue
03-24-2022, 8:27 PM
I am looking ay a Jet 16" JWP-16OS planer tomorrow. It looks to be in working order. It's an open stand planer and it appears the head raises/lowers to adjust cutting depth. 3 Hp motor. Owner said he purchased it new about 20 years ago. Hasn't been used at all in the last 7. Light use before that. I was leaning towards a 20" planer but this is priced well. Anyone familiar with it and know if it's a decent machine or if I should keep looking? I would probably upgrade it with a helical head. Thanks in advance.

Jim Becker
03-24-2022, 8:33 PM
My recollection is that it was an ok machine...not really different than many others of the same format. If it's ivory color, that would make it early 2000s or later. If it's blue, the previous generation. Upside with a moving cutterhead is that the bed stays at the same height which makes infeed and outfeed support very convenient.

Ronald Blue
03-24-2022, 8:39 PM
My recollection is that it was an ok machine...not really different than many others of the same format. If it's ivory color, that would make it early 2000s or later. If it's blue, the previous generation. Upside with a moving cutterhead is that the bed stays at the same height which makes infeed and outfeed support very convenient.

It is the cream color. I see the fixed table height as a benefit as far as infeed/outfeed support. Thanks for the info Jim.

Jim Becker
03-25-2022, 1:58 PM
It is the cream color. I see the fixed table height as a benefit as far as infeed/outfeed support. Thanks for the info Jim.

At that time period, I had all Jet equipment, although I don't remember what portable thicknesser I owned at this point. Had I not bought the J/P, I probably would have opted for the thicknesser you are looking at or similar.

Ronald Blue
03-26-2022, 8:02 AM
I elected to pass on this after further research. A new 15" Grizzly fixed head with helical head is $2675 and in stock. After adding a helical head to this one it would have almost equaled that amount. It was probably a decent machine and nothing wrong with it but he didn't have a 240 volt power source there so I couldn't verify operation. I really want a 20" machine anyway so will continue my search.

Jim Becker
03-26-2022, 9:45 AM
I would say that the new machine is very much the better buy in that case.