PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at segment turning

mike calabrese
03-24-2022, 9:26 AM
My first attempts at segment turning. Waited nearly 20 years to have a go at these.

Bernie Kopfer
03-24-2022, 11:04 AM
Practicing for 20years obviously paid off. Segmented turning is on my list of things to learn, but I don’t have twenty years left. The beauty of woodturning is that there is always something new to learn or try. Any fatal mistakes you can advise a first timer to avoid?

Edward Weber
03-24-2022, 11:08 AM
Looks very nice

mike calabrese
03-24-2022, 3:53 PM
Hi Bernie
As a baby boomer I don't have 20 years left either and that is exactly why I dusted off my tools after so many years idle.
Just jump into it with a little research and skill. The mistakes you can make are the best learning tools you can have. Sometimes all I manage to make is sawdust but I love it just the same.
There is a lot of detail and experience here on the forum. I also found a ton of methods, styles, and such on you tube.
There are a bunch of folks there and everyone seems to have a valuable bit of experience to share, (some more than others) but way more than you will need.
just search segmented bowls and the world will open up.
mike c

mike calabrese
03-24-2022, 3:56 PM
Thanks Ed for your note and looking in
mike c

Tim Elett
03-24-2022, 5:29 PM
Very nice,I hope to be able to achieve that much success with my hobby.

mike calabrese
03-24-2022, 6:33 PM
Thanks for the note Tim.
Actually there are quite a few boo boo's in each bowl. Most of the work takes place before it ever spins and there is mostly where the gremlins hide .
good luck
mike c