PDA

View Full Version : jig for drawer pull/knob mounting?

Michael Drew
03-23-2022, 2:54 PM
I screwed up the last damn task on a cherry cabinet I built. Drilled the holes on a drawer front off center. One side 1/8" higher than the other on a 3" pull.... I'm so pissed. Didn't even realize it until after I installed it and noticed it was at an angle... And this was after I had already sprayed everything with 3 coats of gloss poly. Can't really fix it either, so I need to make another front. What a complete waste of time.

So now I'm looking into one of jigs I see from time to time in magazines that help position the pull/knob hole placement and positioning.

Just looking for general input to see what others might have used and would recommend. I might as well admit that my eyesight isn't what it used to be and I might as well spend some money on a tool to help prevent me making this dumbassed mistake again. Especially if I have multiple drawers to deal with it.

Lisa Starr
03-23-2022, 3:18 PM
I make my own jig, with a stop the sits on the top and against one side. When I'm finished, I take it apart, toss the scraps back in my scrap storage, and move on. I used to have one of the various plastic jigs made, but found it way too easy to use the wrong holes.

George Yetka
03-23-2022, 3:22 PM
The bad hole doesnt end up under the pull?

Edward Weber
03-23-2022, 3:35 PM
As usual it depends on your needs and wallet. They go from a few dollars for a plastic one to a few hundred dollars for a high quality one and everywhere in between.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Liberty-AlignRight-Clear-Mounting-Template/1000377601

https://truepositiontools.com/product/tp-1934-cabinet-hardware-jig/?gclid=CjwKCAjwiuuRBhBvEiwAFXKaNFoTdPHmxOZx1L7ADdE XSLhw7Vz-kcR9gFkPon3qRDtHdBFg4N-WiRoCb9AQAvD_BwE

Darrell Bade
03-23-2022, 3:44 PM
I use the Kreg. After you set it there are only 2 drill guides so you don't have pick a hole to drill through.

Michael Drew
03-23-2022, 4:23 PM
I make my own jig, with a stop the sits on the top and against one side. When I'm finished, I take it apart, toss the scraps back in my scrap storage, and move on. I used to have one of the various plastic jigs made, but found it way too easy to use the wrong holes.

I've done that before too. Should have this time, but there are three different sized fronts on this build - so I used a ruler (poorly).

The bad hole doesnt end up under the pull?

Not these pulls. The barly cover the screw hole. I suppose I could just find a different pull with same C/C, but I'd need to get six of them to match. I might try ripping the thing in half and glue back together, to take out one hole. Might as well try I guess, and hope the grain pattern doesn't look weird.

As usual it depends on your needs and wallet. They go from a few dollars for a plastic one to a few hundred dollars for a high quality one and everywhere in between.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Liberty-AlignRight-Clear-Mounting-Template/1000377601

https://truepositiontools.com/product/tp-1934-cabinet-hardware-jig/?gclid=CjwKCAjwiuuRBhBvEiwAFXKaNFoTdPHmxOZx1L7ADdE XSLhw7Vz-kcR9gFkPon3qRDtHdBFg4N-WiRoCb9AQAvD_BwE

Yah, I've seen several options. Figured I'd ask to see if anyone has a favorite.

I use the Kreg. After you set it there are only 2 drill guides so you don't have pick a hole to drill through.

Thank you.

Rich Engelhardt
03-23-2022, 4:55 PM
I'm on my third $10 plastic one from Lowes - shoulda bought the Kreg and been done with it.

The plastic ones get brittle or bowed or they break.

ChrisA Edwards
03-23-2022, 6:41 PM
I have The TruePositionTools jigs. Does what it's supposed to do.

Easy to setup, great for repeatability.

johnny means
03-23-2022, 7:07 PM
Double checking is better than any jig will ever be. A jig will just as easily lead to all your drawers having holes drilled incorrectly. I've seen dozens of doors ruined on one job because someone thought a jig would prevent mistakes. That's not to say that I don't make jigs for drilling doors and drawer fronts, they do speed things up. They do not however prevent mistakes.

Rick Potter
03-23-2022, 7:40 PM
Check youtube. You can make one quicker than going to a store to buy one.

Bill Dufour
03-23-2022, 8:08 PM
Time to buy some backplates or make them from contrasting wood.
Bill D

Wojciech Tryc
03-23-2022, 8:13 PM
Got one from China. 100% metal, accurate with imperial and metric scales.
support for 4 and 5mm screws.
https://www.banggood.com/DOCTORWOOD-Red-Aluminum-Alloy-Metric-or-Inch-Cabinet-Hardware-Jig-4mm-5mm-Drill-Guide-Cabinet-Handle-Template-Jig-p-1388473.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

Phillip Mitchell
03-23-2022, 8:25 PM
That sucks.

I typically use cheaper 1/4” plywood offcuts and cut out a piece that is the exact size of the drawer front, lay out from top or bottom edge with same setting on combo square and drill the holes in it. Then just lay it/clamp it to the drawer front and drill away. It’s not hard or too time consuming to make a few different sizes / heights and/or make one that fits the shortest drawer and then re-use on taller drawers (same length) by offsetting with a combo square to ensure squareness. I’ve never used a store bought jig for this as I like to measure the actual hardware centers for each new pull I use.

Bruce Wrenn
03-23-2022, 8:48 PM
Always made my own out of Lexan. Have them for different sized handles. By using a jig, if I later build another cabinet for same location, handle heights match.

Mitch schiffer
03-23-2022, 11:01 PM
I have tried a few different brands so farmy favorite has been the true position brand.

Erich Elfeldt
03-23-2022, 11:15 PM
Another vote for the True Position.

Dave Roock
03-23-2022, 11:52 PM
Kreg jig works good - careful double checking center measurement is probably great idea with any jig.

George Yetka
03-24-2022, 7:43 AM
I usually make a jig as needed.

You could add an accent piece under the pull or "washers" under where each pull hits the drawer front.

Dave Sabo
03-24-2022, 8:45 AM
I’ve had all of the at one time or another. The TP is the most versatile as it’ll do shelf pin holes and really looong handles with the accessories. But , that capability will run you close to 500 bucks. Prob. With Kreg is that it’s limited to 5” handles and you have to index off of a center mark which takes a lot more time.

This is what I use more often than not : around $50

http://www.eurolimited.com/products/eurohandleit.htm

pro tip: use a mechanical pencil with a thick lead (2-3mm like a Pica, Ox, Rockler) and mark the holes. Verify the first set with your tape measure and a few subsequent ones too. Also, a thin , narrow piece of weather strip on the very bottom edge of both sides makes it more user friendly and accurate.

andrew whicker
03-24-2022, 10:55 AM
On the project I did last, I had a friend CNC a jig out of clear plastic.

Although that True jig looks pretty sweet.

edit: got rid of my yoda speak

Jim Becker
03-24-2022, 11:43 AM
I typically make my own with some scrap Lexan and wood. I don't do enough of this to justify buying something that will sit in a drawer or on a shelf, honestly. But I will also say that there are some pretty darn fancy drilling jigs out there with micro-adjustability and measuring scales, etc., built in! Matt Reisinger of the Build Shop on the 'Tube recently showed one that was used in his personal kitchen for knob-work. Something like that would be great for pro installers where flexibility in a single, accurate device is really a time saver. For the rest of us, there are more practical solutions as noted by many in this thread for sure.

Michael Drew
03-24-2022, 1:02 PM
I’ve had all of the at one time or another. The TP is the most versatile as it’ll do shelf pin holes and really looong handles with the accessories. But , that capability will run you close to 500 bucks. Prob. With Kreg is that it’s limited to 5” handles and you have to index off of a center mark which takes a lot more time.

This is what I use more often than not : around $50

http://www.eurolimited.com/products/eurohandleit.htm

pro tip: use a mechanical pencil with a thick lead (2-3mm like a Pica, Ox, Rockler) and mark the holes. Verify the first set with your tape measure and a few subsequent ones too. Also, a thin , narrow piece of weather strip on the very bottom edge of both sides makes it more user friendly and accurate.

I like the simplicity of that jig. Too bad they make it difficult to buy. Half their internet dealers do not ship to Alaska. Same with Amazon.

Edward Weber
03-24-2022, 1:26 PM
I make my own as well if I'm doing one or two pieces.
The problem with home made jigs is that they just don't hold up as well over the long haul. The holes inevitably become enlarged and this creates a loss of accuracy in hole position. The retail jigs typically have steel guides that maintain the spacing and alignment of the bit. If you have a room or house full of knobs/pulls to install, I would recommend a quality jig with guides.
JMHO

Jim Dwight
03-24-2022, 5:26 PM
I did my kitchen without ruining a single door or drawer front. But I was praying as I went. I've certainly messed it up before. I used a home made jig but I used it to mark the position for the holes on a piece of painters tape on the door or drawer front. Then I stopped and stepped back and looked at it to make sure it looked right. Then and only then I drilled the holes. I also waited to drill the holes until I had the doors hung and adjusted. I used bar pulls which have no baseplate so you have to get the hole pretty much right. I might have drilled a little larger hole in a few cases to get the pull better alighed but the screw head and diameter of the pull has to cover it so you can't do much.

I've also made jigs I used to bore the hole before too but I've messed up with them. A bit of debris against the stop can mess them up and you cannot see it with a plywood jig.

Bill McNiel
03-24-2022, 9:39 PM

ditto for me.

Jonathan Jung
03-25-2022, 12:24 AM
I made my own for a few years. Now I have a TruePositionTools in the max size. It's enjoyable to use, works well, and should last a long time. Expensive is worth it if you do several big projects a year.

Michael Drew
03-25-2022, 12:27 PM
I made my own for a few years. Now I have a TruePositionTools in the max size. It's enjoyable to use, works well, and should last a long time. Expensive is worth it if you do several big projects a year.

The TruePositionTools jig looks to be copied by numerous off-shore manufacturers, ranging from $25 to $75 on Amazon. They all look very similar. I might just buy one that appears to be the best made. Difficult to determine quality from pics though.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person on the site that's f'd up a drawer pull install. I think I just allowed myself to get in a hurry, wanting to clean up a mess in my shop on a Sunday afternoon, before I start my work week (my real job). I know better.

If I would have had a simple and easy to use jig, this mistake probably would have been avoided.

Dave Sabo
03-25-2022, 11:36 PM
I like the simplicity of that jig. Too bad they make it difficult to buy. Half their internet dealers do not ship to Alaska. Same with Amazon.
Call em directly , I bet they’ll accommodate you.

Richelieu also carries them and has a long reach in Canada and the USA

these guys are in Alaska

HARDWARE SPECIALTIES INC.
424 West 5th Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99518
(907) 563-1312 (tel:(907) 563-1312)

andrew whicker
03-26-2022, 1:11 AM
The TruePositionTools jig looks to be copied by numerous off-shore manufacturers, ranging from $25 to $75 on Amazon. They all look very similar. I might just buy one that appears to be the best made. Difficult to determine quality from pics though.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person on the site that's f'd up a drawer pull install. I think I just allowed myself to get in a hurry, wanting to clean up a mess in my shop on a Sunday afternoon, before I start my work week (my real job). I know better.

If I would have had a simple and easy to use jig, this mistake probably would have been avoided.

For the record, I'm perfect and don't make mistakes.

: )

Greg Quenneville
03-26-2022, 6:47 AM
Last year I made a jig that was tee-shaped out of scraps. It was accurate of course, but not centred on the vertical axis. So of course I used it the wrong way around and offset my holes about 1/2”. My wife remarked, with only a little bit of sarcasm: “really good…they are precisely, exactly wrong” I am still trying to come up with a snappy reply to that. I just bought the pro jig for my upcoming kitchen build.

Michael Drew
03-26-2022, 12:38 PM
Call em directly , I bet they’ll accommodate you.

Richelieu also carries them and has a long reach in Canada and the USA

these guys are in Alaska

HARDWARE SPECIALTIES INC.
424 West 5th Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99518
(907) 563-1312 (tel:(907) 563-1312)

I'll give that a try. I guess I need to be a business to register and/or buy from Richelieu? Looks like they have a fantastic selection of "stuff". I do not own a business though.

Hardware Specialties is where I get all my hardwood and misc tools/etc. They did not have one of these last time I was in their store, but I'll give them a call anyway.

Thanks for helping Dave.

Michael Drew
03-26-2022, 12:41 PM
For the record, I'm perfect and don't make mistakes.

: )

:D Well at least your recognize your strengths!

Jonathan Jung
03-27-2022, 7:17 PM
TruePosition units come up on eBay. It's nice to support an American business anyway.

Michael Drew
03-27-2022, 7:39 PM
I found the Euro jig and ordered one. Ordered a Kreg jig too, as that one looks like it would be better for in place use and better on doors.

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.