PDA

View Full Version : Is there any use for old planer blades?

dennis thompson
03-23-2022, 7:16 AM
I just got a new planer so I have some planer blades from my old planer. Does anyone know of any use for old planer blades?
Thanks

Maurice Mcmurry
03-23-2022, 8:34 AM
They make good scrapers. There are good hard steel. They can be cut and shaped with a grinder, almost impossible to drill.
476367 476368

Rob Luter
03-23-2022, 8:35 AM
I just got a new planer so I have some planer blades from my old planer. Does anyone know of any use for old planer blades?
Thanks

They make good raw materials for striking knives and the like. Depending on the width and thickness they might make good skew or detail chisels for dovetailing.

Jim Dwight
03-23-2022, 9:22 AM
With my Ryobi AP-10 I just sharpen them and reuse them. I am pretty sure mine still had the original blades in it when I got it. The previous owner thought it might be broken. But the blades were just so dull they were about like a butter knife. Sharpened they work great - better than the replacements I also purchased. It is far from the ideal planner but it works and I have no expense for knives. My two sets will easily outlast me.

Dan Cameron
03-23-2022, 11:34 AM
I use one as a straight edge to tear full sandpaper sheets into quarter sheets.

Mike Kees
03-23-2022, 1:46 PM
Dennis what kind of planer and what are the knives ? Do you mean used dull ones ?

dennis thompson
03-23-2022, 4:29 PM
Dennis what kind of planer and what are the knives ? Do you mean used dull ones ?

Used knives from my old broken Ridgid planer