PDA

View Full Version : Small Tenon Saw

Mike Wenzloff
01-19-2006, 3:20 AM
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share this small tenon saw with y'all I am just finishing.

12" long blade with 3 1/4" depth of cut, 15 ppi filed rip. Handle is Cocobolo with brass split nuts.

Tomorrow it will be disassembled, the blade and brass polished and the handle well waxed. Reassembled and sent on its way.

Take care, Mike

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/saws/sml_tenon_0001a.jpg

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/saws/sml_tenon_0002a.jpg

John Edwards
01-19-2006, 3:57 AM
Darn you Mike,
I my have to dump those junky Adria`s and buy some more Wenzloff `s.

Take care,
John Edwards

Dan Forman
01-19-2006, 4:17 AM
Thats a mighty fine looking piece of work.

Dan

Bob Noles
01-19-2006, 6:32 AM
Mike,

Another magnificent masterpiece. That thing makes one drool all over the keyboard.

Nice job!

Mark Singer
01-19-2006, 8:25 AM
WoW! There is some work in that baby! If it were mine I would just look at it....I would be afraid to use it!

Jim Becker
01-19-2006, 9:27 AM
Purdy!!! That's an outstanding looking saw, Mike.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Nice saw Mike. It is a little unusual the way the blade is set into the handle. Is there a reason for that other than aesthetics?

Mike Wenzloff
01-19-2006, 1:20 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Ah, Mark, it's meant to be used--but you should see the handle I'm making for a saw from Panamanian Rosewood...

Dennis, this is a handle and saw that is based very closely to the Harvey Peace Perfection line of saws. Pretty rare saws, actually. But they do have a function. One can use a thinner saw plate because of the the inletting like that.

One good thing about the saws we are making is--we'll make any saw just about and the prices are comparable to what we make as "standard" saws--as long as the amount of steel etc. is similar. Else we need to provide a quote. So far, saws other than we offer have been about $10 more than the price list for a comparable size saw.

Take care, Mike

Alan DuBoff
01-19-2006, 4:46 PM
One can use a thinner saw plate because of the the inletting like that.How much Thinner Mike? The saws for finer joinery were typically .020" with about .005" to .006" in set. Most of the larger backsaws were more in line with .035" or thereabouts, I think. I know that Disston No 4s were about 21-22 gauge and some were, and the 8" models were often 23 gauge.

I think this relates to about .026" (23 gauge) - .033" (21 gauge).

It's also not clear to me that all 8" saws used 23 gauge, but some did.

Mike Wenzloff
01-19-2006, 5:47 PM
Hi Alan, thinness also is realted to depth of cut and ppi--the taller the unsupported blade the more likely buckling can occur, as well as a lower ppi the more agressive the cut and resistance against the bottom edge.

I am assembling a kit to go out that has a 2 1/2" depth of cut that uses a .020" blade 10" long, 16 ppi that is more than stiff enough at the toe. Especially with a progressive rip filed in. More rake at the toe which steepens towards the heel. Makes for an easier start anyway.

For a thinner blade, say a .018" blade I would want less depth to feel secure in sending it out.

For a large tenon saw where there is a lot of blade in the cut, .030" to .035" is necessary on a push saw depending on the other factors such as ppi and depth of cut. An inlet handle can allow use of .030" steel where one would need to use .035" normally with a "regular" closed handle style, ala a Disston #4 et al.

We set the saws for their intended use, even if that use is general purpose. Where a saw will be used for hard hardwoods, less set is required and we have sent some out with as little as 1.5 thousandths per side. Most are used for cutting secondary woods like Pine or Poplar, in which case more set is required due to fiber springback. As well, set is more on larger tenon rip saws with thicker saw blades. Lots of variables--and another reason to own more than one saw!

Take care, Mike

Dennis McDonaugh
01-19-2006, 7:05 PM
Thanks Mike

Mark Stutz
01-19-2006, 8:18 PM
Hi, Mike. Will my saw look something like this?:D

Mike Wenzloff
01-19-2006, 8:58 PM
Hi Mark,

I need to send a few pics of wood samples we've dug out. 14" borders on large and heavy as you already know, As the handle above is a 2 bolt handle, yours will be of another style. Which is known as a London Pattern handle, shown below in a Makore blank.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/saws/london_pat_0001.jpg

Take care...Mike

Bob Oehler
01-20-2006, 8:49 AM
Hey
Last time I was at HF I did not see any saws like that :D

Seriously
Great work :)
Some day maybe I can afford a nice dovetailing saw by you.
Great work.
Bob Oehler