PDA

View Full Version : veneering - Foam Core (FoamKore, Foam Light, etc)

andrew whicker
03-22-2022, 2:44 PM
Hi,

I was introduced to the idea of doing a chevron plank look with veneered foam core sheets. The poplar version of FoamKore is priced at $493 / sheet!! The hardboard version of Foam Light is $132 / sheet.

The obvious question is how I'm supposed to veneer smooth hardboard? Is this a typical process? What adhesive?

Cheers,

Edit: I understand this how commercial projects avoid weight on ceilings (liability reasons).

Kevin Jenness
03-22-2022, 3:04 PM
There are guidelines for banding and veneering on the FoamKore web page https://kerfkore.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Worklite-XPS-Foamkore-Specifications.pdf. Basically, just like any other substrate. I usually use a t-shaped edgeband let into a channel cut in the foam for added glue surface. You can lay up your own substrate with builder's grade extruded polystyrene and epoxy but it is not calibrated for thickness and it probably makes sense to buy the ready-made stuff.

John TenEyck
03-22-2022, 3:17 PM
If you have a drum sander wide enough, you can calibrate the thickness of extruded foam sheet. I've glued MDF panels to it with Gorilla Glue; works great.

Veneering onto hardboard should be the same as MDF. Unibond 800, epoxy, Gorilla Glue all work well. I usually sand the surface with 80 or 100 grit to roughen it (MDF) up a little first and would do the same with tempered hardboard.

John

Richard Coers
03-22-2022, 3:26 PM
I sure don't like the warnings for application pressure. Firm hand pressure? Your veneer better be dead flat! How do you intend to press it? Are you just curious, or is this an architectural specification for a job?

Decorative Surface Application
a) Use LIGHT TO MODERATE pressure with intial placement/positioning of the
decorative surfacing material to Worklite.
b) Use firm hand pressure or moderate pressure with a J-Roller.
To maintain balance and stability, apply equal materials to both sides.

DO NOT OVERPRESS! Over pressing can cause ridge lines and stress cracks.

andrew whicker
03-22-2022, 3:44 PM
The Tips pdf from KerfKore suggest 10 to 15 PSI pressure. I have a vacuum press and the customer service person told me that people do have success with vacuum pressing.

Reading the spec sheet, etc., it looks like I can use PVA glue as mentioned above.

I don't have access to a wide enough sander.

andrew whicker
03-22-2022, 3:51 PM
Finally got pricing for the FoamKore XPS brand: 3/4" thk, 4x8 sheet, hardboard... $360 / sheet.

andrew whicker
03-22-2022, 4:02 PM
Okay, so learning more here...

I don't think EPS type foam will work as I was told you can simply add a T & G to the ripped foam core and EPS would probably fall apart.... I'll look into it.

XPS seems like the ticket, but that is a steep price and will probably be out priced by just using decking and T&G flooring.

John TenEyck
03-23-2022, 5:18 PM
I built these hanging shelves a year or so ago.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLV86-gL3ZLeYO4ASpSQCnwzuTX7BbaOyMyHbHUCkbU5FKiAUZ4T9DLd tQe3wrCVvZW-iUtfy5doBbUodvJK9Jo3GVM3ItyXmC_1A1YWNgvU_sSa5fVnNm 5pDRQHalOZtJChxrYXOCe2MTQYo7kqtyL_IQ=w1470-h828-no?authuser=1

The construction was like this.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVZG3RZzlgLkGcthP4HKcrTgsQqVTM0C7QdDZdDFmwQfIPiC 25wHDAKuHbyYBcXdRs3pe-K24hPdUDIAMsP0zDEbEM20WdulBJSUaBWxO5lN7HBffdklW3C3 yY5T2RjAO0XExFLgfvHXVm77fgq_jWoog=w1470-h828-no?authuser=1

As you can see, I did run the panels through the drum sander to make them a consistent thickness. I also used an internal rib between the two pieces of foam, and that's what I would do if I had to make panels wider than my 24" drum sander can handle. I used 1/4" plywood for the skins but MDF works just as well and is a better substrate for veneering. Gorilla Glue bonds really well to the foam. I used TB around the wood edges. I didn't use T shaped edging; didn't see a need, but foam cuts cleanly so you could. I would have no concerns using this type of core for a panel veneered in the vacuum bag. It's 14 psi, or less.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVZG3RZzlgLkGcthP4HKcrTgsQqVTM0C7QdDZdDFmwQfIPiC 25wHDAKuHbyYBcXdRs3pe-K24hPdUDIAMsP0zDEbEM20WdulBJSUaBWxO5lN7HBffdklW3C3 yY5T2RjAO0XExFLgfvHXVm77fgq_jWoog=w1470-h828-no?authuser=1

John