View Full Version : Start the day sharp

Richard Hutchings
03-22-2022, 9:09 AM
I keep expecting more time out of a sharpened blade. There's nothing like a freshly sharpened one, what a joy. I put a camber on this one using the MK2 with the camber roller for the first time. What a great tool. This is one of my free to me planes and I just love it and put it to good use this morning, made a good pile of curls.

John C Cox
03-22-2022, 11:07 AM
Freshly sharp is a wonderful thing, isn't it.

I've sort of been changing my attitude toward edge prep. I'm now pushing more towards setting edges up for specific purposes rather than trying to find some mythical "One solution for everything."

For example, chisels and planes which mostly see spruce and cedar are pushing towards lower angles and finer edges which produce glass smooth cuts. These edges simply fail if pushed too hard or are used on nasty stuff.

Edges for hardwoods are pushing towards higher angles and more aggressive edge buffing. I can mallet away on these edges for a LONG time without failure, but they just crush and mush softwood end grain.

Horses for courses...

Jim Koepke
03-22-2022, 2:12 PM
[edited]

… chisels and planes which mostly see spruce and cedar are pushing towards lower angles…

Edges for hardwoods are pushing towards higher angles and more aggressive edge buffing. I can mallet away on these edges for a LONG time without failure, but they just crush and mush softwood end grain.

Horses for courses...

That is a good reason for having more than one set of chisels from which to choose.

jtk

James Pallas
03-22-2022, 8:13 PM
Something I learned years back was I hate to work with dull or borderline tools. I would put them aside and tell myself “I’ll sharpen later”. Than I need it or waited until the next day, that is worse. Now I just stop and sharpen. Strop is within reach and stones are not hard to grab. I always try to sharpen up before I quit for the day. Makes for happier days for me.
Jim

Andrew Hughes
03-22-2022, 8:18 PM
Sharp wins every time.