PDA

View Full Version : Wondering Why Your Package is Late?

Jim Koepke
03-21-2022, 1:52 PM
Maybe the driver is having a bad day…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i_GFrlaStQ

jtk

Ron Citerone
03-21-2022, 2:38 PM
I could see that happening to me!

Bill Dufour
03-21-2022, 6:10 PM
Meanwhile in russia, supply chain reaction problems.
Bill D.

https://www.today.com/video/forklift-accident-creates-warehouse-disaster-in-viral-video-1376824387639

Michael Schuch
03-21-2022, 7:17 PM
It looks like some WAY cheaped out on the pallet racks! It almost looks setup to have so many pallets cascade down like that.

Michael Schuch
03-21-2022, 7:22 PM
That delivery driver is lucky no property was damaged. I am guessing the transmission popped out of park. I remember seeing an motel airport transport Ford van pop out of park into reverse back in the 90's right in front of me. It was sitting there idling in front of the motel with no one in it and it just popped into reverse.

Bruce Wrenn
03-21-2022, 8:44 PM
That delivery driver is lucky no property was damaged. I am guessing the transmission popped out of park. I remember seeing an motel airport transport Ford van pop out of park into reverse back in the 90's right in front of me. It was sitting there idling in front of the motel with no one in it and it just popped into reverse.

Ford had a recall as early as late seventies on this. Neighbor's custom van self engaged reverse, and hitting a tree. Total repair cost was about 2K, which was almost what van was worth. Couple years later Ford offered to settle due to recall.

Jim Koepke
03-22-2022, 1:23 AM
My parking brake is always set when the vehicle is stopped.

I have been in places were people do not use parking brakes, especially in the winter.

jtk

Bill Dufour
03-22-2022, 2:18 AM
Several times in high school i heard about a cop who gave tickets to all the cars parked on the hilly street who did not have their wheels cocked correctly.
Bill D

Mel Fulks
03-22-2022, 3:08 AM
Several times in high school I heard about a cop who gave tickets to all the cars parked on the hilly street who did not have their wheels cocked correctly.
Bill D

Yeah, hadn’t thought of that in long time, but thanks to you I now remember seeing a movie in school about it. Had the old standard
authoritarian, stentorian voiced narrator. Car had a good set of high tech “curb feelers”.

glenn bradley
03-22-2022, 6:57 AM
I am often surprised by the number of people who were taught to drive without the step of setting your parking brake before exiting the vehicle. This was as basic a step as putting on your seat belt and checking your mirrors before starting the car when I was taught. Small bad habits set in and grow like a snowball down a hill in a cartoon. Compound that with the apparent loss of driving skill over the pandemic isolation period and it might start to explain some of the things I see on the road lately. :D:D:D

Jim Koepke
03-22-2022, 10:03 AM
Several times in high school i heard about a cop who gave tickets to all the cars parked on the hilly street who did not have their wheels cocked correctly.
Bill D

In San Francisco there were a few parking enforcement officers who would even write tickets for uncurbed wheels on flat streets.

I am often surprised by the number of people who were taught to drive without the step of setting your parking brake before exiting the vehicle. This was as basic a step as putting on your seat belt and checking your mirrors before starting the car when I was taught. [edited]
:D:D:D

When I was in the midwest during winter I was told many times to not set the parking brake. In older cars if water got in to the brake cable or drums it could freeze and lock up the brakes. Not sure if that is a problem in this day and age.

Like you said,

Small bad habits set in and grow like a snowball down a hill in a cartoon.

jtk

Brian Elfert
03-22-2022, 7:50 PM
In areas where salt is used the parking brake cables will seize up if not used regularly. A lot of drivers never use their parking brakes so eventually you don’t even want to try to use it.

Derek Meyer
03-24-2022, 3:35 PM
I bought a new vehicle last summer (model year 2020) and if I park on an incline above a certain degree, it will automatically set the parking brake. It does this in my driveway as it has a fair slope.

Frederick Skelly
03-25-2022, 7:48 AM
That actually happened to a buddy of mine. The tru ck went over ythe curb and dodnt stop till the front bumper hit the house. Fired!

Zachary Hoyt
03-25-2022, 8:26 AM
I use the parking brake any time I am parking on a slope, but on flat ground I don't. Once my sister left the parking brake on for a week and when she came back to the van to drive away the cables had rusted in place and the brakes would not release. It had to be towed to a garage and worked on. I avoid leaving a vehicle parked for more than a couple of days with the parking brake on for that reason. My current car is a 2013 and has electric parking brakes where you push a button and the brake is set, or pull it and they are released. It seems funny since I can't tell if it's actually engaged or not, since there's no feel like there is with manual parking brakes.

Dave Roock
03-25-2022, 8:39 AM
And with FedEx, those ground delivery drivers actually work for a separate contractor - that truck is property of a private contractor. He got real lucky, looked like it might run right into a tree.

Bernie Kopfer
03-25-2022, 11:42 AM
Setting the parking brake is a leftover from the manual transmission era. It is a habit that most older drivers have kept thinking it was needED tO proTect the Automatic transmission. If it were every manufacturer would plainly state it is needed.

Tom Stenzel
03-26-2022, 2:11 AM
I've don't recall reading an owner's manual that didn't say to set the parking brake. From my 2012 Town and Country manual:
Before exiting a vehicle, always apply the parking brake, shift the transmission into PARK, and remove the key fob.
Right on page 435! How could you miss it?

Also it wasn't just Ford vans that would back up when in park. Cars with the C4 auto and column shifter would do it too. I bought a used 1970 Fairlane and almost bagged a fence with it. Fiddling with the shift linkage stopped it. Just can't get anything good for $350. Drove the car 3 years, sold it for what I paid for it.

-Tom

Mike Soaper
03-28-2022, 8:52 PM
Maybe the driver is having a bad day…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i_GFrlaStQ

jtk

He's not alone. About 2 weeks ago this container ship ran aground in about 15' of mud in the Chesapeake Bay when coming out of Baltimore. Seems it swung a bit too wide on the turn. I've heard they plan trying to free it tomorrow

The same company owned the container ship that got stuck in the Suez Canal awhile back.

A massive container ship has run aground in the Chesapeake Bay : NPR (https://www.npr.org/2022/03/28/1089121168/a-massive-container-ship-has-run-aground-in-the-chesapeake-bay)

Mike Soaper
04-13-2022, 6:18 PM
A month has passed, and the container ship is still stuck in the Chesapeake after 2 attempts to pull it out. So, they have started to unload about 500? containers before they try again.

I've heard that the ship's operator has utilized a maritime law that has the cargo owners paying for some? of the salvage/rescue costs.

(https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/salvage-crews-offloading-containers-from-ship-stuck-in-chesapeake-bay/3022413/)
sorry about any ads
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/salvage-crews-offloading-containers-from-ship-stuck-in-chesapeake-bay/3022413/

Jason Roehl
04-14-2022, 5:09 AM
Setting the parking brake is a leftover from the manual transmission era. It is a habit that most older drivers have kept thinking it was needED tO proTect the Automatic transmission. If it were every manufacturer would plainly state it is needed.

If you’ve ever been into the guts of an automatic transmission, and saw the size of the park pin…you’d set the parking brake, especially on hills.

Mike Soaper
04-17-2022, 9:48 PM
At 7am after 5 weeks of dredging, removing 500 containers, a full moon and a spring tide they finally refloated the Everforward container ship. It's been towed to near Annapolis for inspection.