PDA

View Full Version : DIY vise screw, and the sacrifice of many a twist bit...

Luke Dupont
03-20-2022, 1:04 AM
I've always wanted to try making my own vise screw. But, I'm not a metal worker, and I don't own any machinery (or even an electric drill at the moment, believe it or not!)

But I didn't let that stop me... I drilled the holes out for this DIY vise screw with a bit and brace...

Or, actually many a bit. I broke 4 twist bits including a nice vintage one (yikes! Not going to do that again) trying to drill and ream out these holes.

I hate twist bits. Inevitably, they "catch" and it becomes impossible to proceed any further without over torquing and breaking them... A smaller sweep brace would no doubt help, but is no solution.. If anyone knows of a better way to prevent this, I'm all ears!

I'm going to play with making a tiny, removable shoulder or end vise with this...

Jim Koepke
03-20-2022, 1:25 AM
When drilling in metal a bit of lubrication helps a lot. Automotive oil is fine.

Oil also helps with a hacksaw.

Next thing that really helps is a drill press.

jtk

Lee Schierer
03-20-2022, 8:52 AM
Twist bits are not designed to be used at a speed as slow as a hand brace. Now is the opportunity to buy a nice cordless drill.

Scott Brodersen
03-20-2022, 9:17 AM
Luke, I'm curious about what are the things you make that you'll need this little shoulder vise for?

Jim Ritter
03-20-2022, 12:14 PM
Here are a couple I made years ago. The first is a custom work holding fixture/vise.

This is next one is a little different take in that I used a bolt instead of threaded rod because I wanted the non threaded portion.

Jim

Luke Dupont
03-20-2022, 10:06 PM
Twist bits are not designed to be used at a speed as slow as a hand brace. Now is the opportunity to buy a nice cordless drill.

Yeah, I was wondering if higher RPM's would have prevented this "catching"?

I do need to get a cordless drill. It's just been low on my list of things to buy because I'm not usually drilling metal, and when I drill wood, I need an accurate and clean hole more so than a quick hole, and the brace works so well for that.

But, when you do need it, you need it, I guess! Certainly would have saved a lot of time, and probably some bits...

Luke Dupont
03-20-2022, 10:11 PM
Luke, I'm curious about what are the things you make that you'll need this little shoulder vise for?

When I find out, I'll let you know! Haha.

I have three potential plans for it:
1. I'm curious if I will like replacing my large vises with a smaller, low profile vise, because they get in the way sometimes and I have a big Moxon now anyway. Maybe keep a big face vise and just use this low profile one as an end vise.
2. If I find that I like the large vises already on my bench, I will probably use it on a small Japanese atedai / planing board or make a small vise for detailed work that sits on top of the bench.
3. If I wind up not needing any of those vises for some reason, I'll can always turn it into a monster C-clamp or something.

I've been keen to try an English style face vise with one screw and one guide rail only, such that the right side of the face vise is completely open and you can clamp work right next to the screw. So I may also try that design, but probably with a larger screw and not this one.

Basically, I'll try putting it in a few different places and see what I like, and maybe foray into DIY vises a little more.

Luke Dupont
03-20-2022, 10:15 PM
Here are a couple I made years ago. The first is a custom work holding fixture/vise.

This is next one is a little different take in that I used a bolt instead of threaded rod because I wanted the non threaded portion.

Jim

Wow, those are awesome! What is that little Roubo looking bench thing for, and how big is it?

Jim Ritter
03-20-2022, 11:12 PM
Luke, I did a whole write up on the bench and the build in the woodwork section.
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?291419-Travel-work-bench

Jim