PDA

View Full Version : used lathes?

Stephen Hibbs
01-18-2006, 10:42 PM
I am looking at buying the Jet mini non-VS, and I'm wondering A- does anyone have a better, similarly priced lathe in mind? and B-would it be a good idea to buy one of these used, or is it risky?

Thanks,
Stephen

Ernie Nyvall
01-18-2006, 10:51 PM
I would think it would be fine to buy one used. Look for someone who upgraded in size in the first year or so... or maybe a reconditioned one.

Ernie

John Hart
01-19-2006, 6:18 AM
Yeah..I think it's a great way to get going without spending yourself to death. The only suggestion I would have is making sure that it was not abused, and that all the alignments are good. For that, I would want to see it in person before the buy. I'd be leary of an internet buy.

Randy Meijer
01-19-2006, 6:32 AM
If you can find a used mini it would be a good way to go.(Unless you run across one that has obviously been abused) But many folks keep their minis when moving up to a larger lathe. They don't take up much space and it is nice to have the smaller lathe around for small projects.

Raymond Overman
01-19-2006, 7:45 AM
There are two (one delta and one jet) midi lathes for sale by members of the club I belong to. If you're anywhere near Charlotte, NC they would be a good option.