PDA

View Full Version : Crotch in My Blank

Joe O'Leary
03-18-2022, 9:35 PM
I just got a log of an unknown species (maple?) that has a branch or crotch in it.
As an inexperienced turner, what should I do here?
Photos attached. Thanks!

Thomas Canfield
03-18-2022, 10:45 PM
Turn it with natural edge and the pith side on bottom to retain the crotch like grain pattern. If you turn with rim on side shown for a normal bowl, you will turn off all the crotch pattern. I am not sure that what you have is a real crotch but it will ppossibly have some interesting grain pattern. The section is longer than wide and will make a long oval bowl or shallow platter. Look forward to see post of what you turn.

Joe O'Leary
03-18-2022, 11:09 PM
Just to be clear, the pics are two different halves of the same log. My main concern is safety, second creative possibilities.

John Keeton
03-19-2022, 5:31 AM
I agree with Tom and think instead of a crotch what you have is actually an embedded branch that is not cellularly bonded to the wood. I suspect it will dislodge upon turning, at least partially, and that there will be minimal figure or interest from it. Were I turning these pieces I would remove the pith and branch. Otherwise, you stand a good chance they will crack.

Joe O'Leary
03-19-2022, 7:49 AM
I agree with Tom and think instead of a crotch what you have is actually an embedded branch that is not cellularly bonded to the wood. I suspect it will dislodge upon turning, at least partially, and that there will be minimal figure or interest from it. Were I turning these pieces I would remove the pith and branch. Otherwise, you stand a good chance they will crack.

Thanks. That's what I'll do.