PDA

View Full Version : Adjust The Indent Stops On A Miter Saw?

Joe Wood
03-18-2022, 7:56 PM
So I got the cordless makita 12" slider, and almost immed saw that the square cut, 0* indent is off, by quite a bit! Can you adjust these indent stops? Talking about the angle stops, not the bevel.

Paul Mosteller
03-19-2022, 5:44 PM
Hi Joe, What is the model number? I glanced at the XSL07/08 Instruction Manual on the Makita site and in the maintenance section there are instructions on adjusting the miter angle on page 39. The following is copies from there:
"Lower the handle fully and lock it in the lowered position by the stopper pin. Push the carriage toward the guide fence. Loosen the grip and the screws which secure the pointer and miter angle scale. Set the turn base to the 0° position using the positive stop function. Square the side of the blade with the face of the guide fence using a triangular rule or try-square. While keeping the square, tighten the screws on the miter angle scale. After that, align the pointers (both right and left) with the 0° position in the miter angle scale and then tighten the screw on the pointer."
If you need more adjustment than this allows the rear fence may need to be adjusted. This was the only option on my older Makita corded miter saws and more complicated as I had to align for 90* and 45* at the same time. Hopefully moving the miter angle scale is all you'll need.

Joe Wood
03-19-2022, 5:47 PM
yeah I figured it out by reading the manual and it was easy! Do you ever feel so stupid after posting a question! But I can't remember adjusting that indent bar on any saw I've ever owned!

found another saw that was out a tad, and fixed that one too!

Paul Mosteller
03-19-2022, 5:55 PM
Glad you got it fixed.

John TenEyck
03-19-2022, 8:12 PM
It's amazing how helpful the owner's manual can be! Out of the box my Bosch was off, a lot. Wasn't vertical, wasn't square, and bevels were off, even though the reviews said it was perfect. Two hours to set it right. It's been great ever since.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
03-19-2022, 8:32 PM
yeah I figured it out by reading the manual and it was easy! Do you ever feel so stupid after posting a question! But I can't remember adjusting that indent bar on any saw I've ever owned!

found another saw that was out a tad, and fixed that one too!

When I replaced an old Delta because it wouldn't hold an accurate miter angle, I did have to adjust the angle on the Dewalt replacement. Once, I adjusted it once. I have had that saw for at least 5 years now. I check the miter angle accuracy periodically but it hasn't changed since I adjusted it.