PDA

View Full Version : A new supply of Lumber in the shop...

steven c newman
03-18-2022, 11:36 AM
And, letting sit a few days. Bought a stack of 11 boards, yesterday. $30 for 52 linear feet of 1 x 6
Four boards are 4/4 x 6" x 74" long, the other 7 boards are 4/4 x 6 x 48" long..

Couple of them have some bark to them...
All boards had been bandsaw milled a decade ago, and dried in a barn rack, well stickered. End grain suggests these were all quarter sawn.

Wood is Ash. Been using a lot of this type of lumber over the years....have gone through about 1/2 of the fellow's stash...down to the short stuff, now...10 footers are about gone. Would have been hard to haul those 1 x 6 x 10' boards IN my Chevy Equinox anyway...no longer have the van.

So, now I have to bring the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up back on-line, and see what I can cobble together....

Was trying to figure up the bft for that stack.....somewhere around 26bft?

Stay tuned....:D

steven c newman
03-18-2022, 2:29 PM
There is a bit of wasted space in the shop..
That area between the bottom stretchers, and the stretchers under the top....too narrow out in front, but...maybe a bank of small drawers, that open out from the side of the Drill Press Stand?

Either as a unit..like a chest? or built in with the drawers sliding on runners? Maybe build the drawers as overlay fronts?

Hmmm...have to sleep on that...will have to measure how much space I'd have.....

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-19-2022, 1:41 AM
Went and measured the available space in the stand...between the top and bottom stretchers ..20-3/4 height to work 4 or 5 drawers into...width would be..11-1/2" plus any "overlay" of the drawer's fronts...sides of the drawers can go back about10-1/2" deep.....may start to cut a few parts Saturday.....have to haul a few planks to the shop, anyway...

Stay tuned..:D

Hauled 3 planks to the shop....since I am on Laundry Detail, at the moment...started to lay out a few cuts....and move a load of clothes from the washer to the dryer...

With a 60 pound Drill Press bolted down to the top of the stand....will have to do thing at the bench, then fit into the stand where it is sitting...we'll see..

steven c newman
03-19-2022, 10:18 AM
A 4th plank has been moved to the shop, last night, since I had to go and bring the load from the Clothes dryer back upstairs. Bad thunderstorm also came through, last night...small creek was running through the shop. Walls of the basement were made from "Field Stone" then parged over with "Rich Mortar"....at least there is a floor drain down there.

Will sort out the bad areas, maybe this afternoon....and do a few cuts, and rips. Planks (4) are 4/4 x 6" x 48"

Looking like rain has settled in for the day....A Taste of a WET Spring Day.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-19-2022, 11:42 AM
Hmmm, 20-3/4" of vertical space to work with.....might see about how either a 4 drawer, or a 5 drawer set up would work....thinking more towards 5 drawers at 4" deep....should handle about anything I need to stash in them. Counting a 3/8" rebate on the ends....might see about 3/4" x 4" x 12' drawer fronts...

Fronts, sides and back will be from this stash of Ash....Might have a panel for most of the drawer bottoms....the "back" off of a Flat Pak cupboard....

Will need to make about 10 slats, for the drawers to slide on....Will need to mill grooves into the sides of drawers.

This just MIGHT take a while....at 2 hours per shoptime..

Stay tuned..:D...Might even make one of those drawers as a place to store the Brace Bits.....:confused:

steven c newman
03-19-2022, 4:19 PM
Right knee declared ONE hour in the shop was quite enough for today...had 4 boards to sort through, getting the "best" out of each board...some took more than others...
And..
Crosscuts were a bit on the rough side...this is what I wound up with...
Next, was to remove the wavy edges...
Took 3 cuts, until all were ripped to final width and parallel edges...
Of 4" width...square an end, cut 5 drawer fronts at 12"....and 5 drawer sides at 10-1/4" long..

And this is all those 4 planks could produce...from 8 bft.

More to come...as drawers sides at 7/8" thick are tad too thick...
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-19-2022, 4:28 PM
So..resaw down to 5/8" thick....need a kerfing saw set up..
All four edges....that is about all the deeper my saw will cut..next..
D8 Rip saw to finish the cuts...times 5 boards...bit of a work out...then the waste just falls away...
Then a plane to clean things up..
Until...
the last of 5 sides are done...
At this point, I am out of lumber to cut, until I bring a couple more planks to the shop..Right knee had had enough....closed up for the day...

Having an ICE COLD Yuengling Lager...I think I might have earned one...

Stay tuned...need 5 more drawer sides milled, and 5 drawer backs....and see about some bottoms for 5 drawers...

steven c newman
03-19-2022, 4:31 PM
BTW: I will need 10 runners for these drawers to slide on, along with a stopped groove into the drawer sides. Fronts need a rebate on the ends, as these will be overlay drawers. Sides also get a dado to house the back of the drawer...should be a bit of fun....enough to keep me busy until April?

steven c newman
03-20-2022, 3:40 PM
2 planks hauled down to the shop....now have the other 5 drawer sides milled...and got a start on the backs (2)for the drawers

Both legs are hurting...Baker's Cyst behind the right knee...Uncle Charles is in the Left Calf. had to turn the shop's fan on...was getting a might too toasty

Swept the shop, called it a day...for now..

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-20-2022, 8:42 PM
Now have all 10 drawer sides milled..
And..a rebate milled on the ends of the drawer fronts..
Thinking that bark end will be the top of the drawer...

Had to re-arrange things in the shop...needed a different "table"
had to sit that Mitre Box over, onto the tablesaw...and move both out of the way...kept the fence handy, though..
Table says it is from SKIL...router underneath?
Is from Black & Decker...a clone of the DeWalt No. 610

First cuts are done...tomorrow I can reset the fence a few times..
There are "start" and "STOP" lines on the fence...btw.

Tails will be done with hand tools, though.

Stay tuned...

Luke Dupont
03-20-2022, 10:38 PM
Bought a stack of 11 boards, yesterday. $30 for 52 linear feet of 1 x 6

Wow, I'm jealous!

1 x 6 Ash costs about 10 times that price for me... Granted, ordering online, and not in the rough.

I need to see if I can't find a local lumber yard somewhere...

steven c newman
03-21-2022, 1:23 PM
Helps when the owner of the trees is also a very good friend of mine...

2 hours IN the shop..on a Monday, to boot....film at 2300 hrs...

steven c newman
03-21-2022, 5:33 PM
Reset the fence a couple times...
Made a "Pattern" that seems to fit...
Considering I needed a mallet to drive this all the way in...for a dry fit.
Lay the pattern on the next side, trace around the pins..
Knife in the baseline...get a couple drawer sides done...test for fit...
Got the sides for 2 out of 5 drawers milled....at about 2 hours in the shop...knee had had about enough...

Maybe tomorrow, I can get the rest of the sides done?
Then some grooves to house the drawer bottoms in....And make 5 drawer backs. THEN I can fit a dado to the backs....

Stay tuned....just getting started..

steven c newman
03-22-2022, 4:05 PM
Trying out a few other ideas...first try this morning resulted in a fit so tight, I NEEDED a block of wood and a hammer....

Goal AFTER supper, will be to get the rest of the sides done...then start laying out where the grooves for the drawer bottoms will go....and LABEL them.

THAT should be quite enough for today.....that "lap" around inside Wall E World did not do my knee much good...Trying to remember what I used to get rid of those Baker's Cysts....

Stay tuned...

Matt Hunstiger
03-22-2022, 8:46 PM
I'm also envious of the long boards! Will be cool to see the finished project/s. I've been trying to get free stuff via Craigslist, especially during the summer, searching about once a week for free lumber/logs. A neighbor just a few blocks from us cut down a large silver maple, and posted the base logs on Craigslist as "free firewood." I split and stickered it last fall. Hoping to make a little cabinet to replace the junky one in our dining room. Jealous of the longer stuff!:)

steven c newman
03-22-2022, 9:11 PM
Bandsaw mill was cutting 10' logs. They split the wood between the owner of the tree and the owner of the mill...been stickered away for about 10 years...

Trying a couple things out...After tracing around the "pattern" I made the knife wall just short of the line. All bandsaw cuts stopped just before the knife lines...
Chopped about halfway down on one side...using the knife wall to guide the chisel...flip over..
Then, try a dry fit...
Looking better...Stash this drawer with the first one...
Just to keep them out of my way...had 3 more to do, today...
Getting to the point a hammer and a wood block was needed for the dry fits....
At this point....I was done, for today...

Tomorrow, the Stanley No. 45 comes out....time to get "Groovy, Man"

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-23-2022, 10:26 AM
The Stanley No. 45 is all set up with a 1/4" wide cutter (#12) with the fence set about a 1/4" away.....just need to find the time today, to USE the thing...Boss has errands she wants to run...and I am the Driver..

Film @ 2300 hrs..I hope..

steven c newman
03-23-2022, 4:23 PM
Ok..task for today, in the 90 minutes my knee will allow...is to add a groove to 5 drawer fronts, AND 10 drawer sides..to house the bottoms of the drawers...sounds easy enough..build a jig, set up the Stanley 45..
And make a couple of pounds of 1/4" wide noodles..
about 1/4" deep. Cutter is a #12. Had an issue with it..wanting to shift a bit to the right....a couple taps with a mallet cured that..got a bit carried away tightening the back hold-down..
And had to make a new one, one that WON"T crack under pressure..

Since I push the planes with my right leg...right knee was NOT amused...once the last grooves were milled, swept the floor..
Noodle soup, anyone? Hang up the shop apron...
And call it a day.

I had an old candle handy...helps to make the plane slide in the grooves better. Insides are marked as to which drawer they will be...and where the grooves will go...had the shop fan blowing on HIGH trying to keep me cooled down...didn't work.

And that was all I can do, for today....Tomorrow, I need to mill 5 drawer backs, and 10 drawer glides.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-24-2022, 12:41 AM
Sat around for awhile, resting up the knee...was ONLY go to the shop to take a couple pictures....yeah..RIGHT....

Took a 4'plank along? drag out the tablesaw...start cutting parts..wound up with 5 blanks to make the drawer backs with...and a few blanks to make 10 drawer runners with...

More resetting the fence and the blade height...ran a kerf cut all around the blanks for the backs..AFTER cutting them for length and square...THEN time for a hand tool or two..

Ugly, ain't they? On that saw...the "8" is inside the "D"...from before 1928...so, needed to clean these up?
With a Stanley No. 3, Type 11 (original iron, too)
Set these aside...back to the tablesaw..
And mill up 10 runners...these are what the drawers will be sliding on...so, I need a groove..
Two cuts, to help out the Stanley 45...
Tablesaw also does dado work,too..
Needed 10 of them done..

See what happens when I sit around, bored.....
Yeah..that'll learn me...

Stay tuned..:D

steven c newman
03-24-2022, 12:08 PM
It got worse later...Youtubah was acting up...got tired of all the "pop-ups" decided to try the shop, again...

Tried the Stanley 45...was not working that well...not really a secure way to hold the part...Hmmm, tablesaw? I don't have a dado set for it, doubt IF one would fit...so
Took a few cuts, times 10 drawer sides?
That pile is over 2" deep. Then back to the bench...round up the Usual Suspects...
Chisel to snap the waste out...
And get started on leveling the floor of the groove...then the other 2 planes joined in..
Made a mess, doing it..
Just to get a dry fit with one of the runners..
repeat 9 times...

Depending on the grain directions...I could pull the 71-1/2,Type 5 back towards me, or run the Stanley 45, Type 4 away..

Dry fit showed the drawer back weren't square on the ends, and some were a bit too fat....they were also 3/16" too long...got all 5 backs done...

Bedtime was about 0330 this morning....I gotta quit doing that..

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-24-2022, 3:02 PM
Have since hand planed the 10 runners, for a better fit....most were a bit too fat. All now sit in that groove, just below the top of the groove's edge....

Need to make a run to Lowes.....Bandsaw needed a new bulb, so I can see better....and a 1/4" x 24" x 48" plywood panel...for the drawer bottoms....$14 and change....

Waiting on Mister Gumption and Mister Motivation to return....til then, I can just sit in me chair...

steven c newman
03-24-2022, 8:34 PM
Went to take a couple photos..and a couple dry fits...ran into a problem..
These are sides for Drawer #4....Ooops...they are supposed to be mirror images of each other....will have to fix that, later..

next dry fit showed the backs are still a tad thicker .too tight a fit in the dado....simple, bevel the ends a hair...

There IS a slight "toe-in" in the back, now.....which is perfectly fine....

A view of the side...showing the groove for the runner to slide in....

Need a cutting plan...1/4" x 24" x 48" plywood...cut into 5 drawer bottoms, in as few cuts as I can make....we'll see, but...not today...
Next trip to the shop, I'll try to get the size of the panels needed...

Stay tuned...almost time for glue and clamps, again..

steven c newman
03-25-2022, 9:56 AM
Panels for the drawer bottoms...need to be about 10" wide by 9-1/2"long. May set the rip fence at 10" strong. Run the plywood through with the 48" edge against the fence....once...then cross cut the 9-1/2"

Sound like a plan?

May need a block clamped to the fence, to keep the plywood from bowing up...going to need a lot of room, fore and aft of the tablesaw...this MIGHT be "FUN" to do...by myself...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-25-2022, 7:31 PM
1st task..was to rip 10" wide strip off of a 1/4" x 24" x 48" panel.
Then cross cut that into 5 panels for the bottoms of the drawer....10" was a hair too wide...the 9-3/8" dimension was spot on..dry fit..
A couple hand drills were gotten out..
Pilot hole and a countersink...for attaching the sides to the back with screws...in addition to the glue.

Then moosh some glue around, add a few clamps..
taking a few more than I had planned on...

I was going to glue as many of the 5 drawers up..today....just got one done...had to go run some errands...

Got back home, and glued up a second drawer...and dry fitted a 3rd....now have to wait on clamps from the first drawer..and might even got a fourth one glued up?

We'll see..
Second drawer in the clamps...getting a bit crowded..
Waiting on glue to dry....

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-26-2022, 9:45 AM
A 3rd drawer was glued up late last night...first 2 drawers are out of their clamps...last 2 drawers have been dry fitted.

An "issue" with the left back leg of the drill press stand.....the 2 x 4 leg has bowed a bit towards to front....will not allow the drawer to slide all the way in. Will dig up the 3 pounder and drive a spacer bar into place, to bow it back the other way...then add a plywood back panel to prevent any more such shenanigans from coming back. Front, where the drawers slide in at (left side of the stand, when facing the Drill Press) has no such issues....just that one back leg...

Might have to un-bolt the Drill Press from the stand....both to fix the back leg, and install the runners for the drawers to slide on...Hmmmm, anyone want to stop by and help out?

Stay tuned, this could get "Very IN-ter-est-ing"...film @2300 hrs...cussing will be involved..

steven c newman
03-26-2022, 3:13 PM
Cut a stick, that matched the front opening, where the drawers will slide in...then held that stick to the backside of the drawer area...where the drawers are sticking..
Seems to have bowed in a tiny bit? Used that stick and the "Adjuster"..
To spread things out a bit....fine tuned with a coarse sander...

Glue-up #3..
Was done late last night..about time to remove a few clamps..
Fine tune the slot for the runner to slide in..
Trim as needed...bevel the drawer front's 4 edges..
Beveled with the Stanley No.3. I also cleaned up the first 2 glue-ups...and got the fourth glue up done..

I used one of the drawers to fine tune where they will be going...getting rid of any "sticking points"...and got a start on installing runners...

I'll leave the spreader bar in for a bit longer...until a back is attached to keep things spread out

3 hours of shop time, today...right knee had had about enough...

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-27-2022, 11:41 AM
2 other sets of runners installed..
Decided to make use of a panel from IKEA...
Panel is a hair thicker than 1/4"
With the back in place, I could knock that spacer bar out...
That drawer turned out to be out of square..just a bit...loosened a couple screws( for the bottom panel) and pulled it into square with the clamps

The last drawer is now in the clamps...
That diagonal clamp?
What I should have done with that other drawer, but was in too big of a hurry, at the time...

Last 2 sets of runners need installed, 2 drawers need cleaned up, fronts beveled....and go and see about some handles...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-27-2022, 8:19 PM
BTW: This in NOT meant to be anything more than a simple stand to hold my drill press....and the drawers are a way to practice what meager skills I do have.
Last drawer is now out of the clamps, and getting tuned up. Need to install the runners for Drawer #3 and Drawer #4. made a run to Lowes today...and bought a handle for each drawer...nothing fancy.

Stand itself: Paint the pine and plywood....And what colour....I could stain it, but then it would LOOK just like stained Pine. Intend to 2 coat the drawers with Amber Shellac...

I have a jig...that I have used, to place handles on the front of a line of drawers, so that the handles will all line up with each other....will see IF I can adapt it to these drawers..
people may not like the style of handle going on these drawers, but they will work for what I need them to do......open a drawer. All handles in my shop are coloured black, and so are these...will post a photo (maybe) when the drawers are finished.

Stay tuned...( and just remember...I still have four more planks, at 7/8" x 6" x 74" just waiting around for the next project...)

steven c newman
03-28-2022, 4:38 PM
Today is a Monday, and the shop is closed for the day....

Sitting here. resting the right leg up...too much walking around, doing errands with the Boss.

Somedays, one just has to take a step back....

steven c newman
03-28-2022, 9:10 PM
Handles...was NOT going to spend an "arm& a leg" on handles....they merely have to open and close these...
( still need to install the runners for #3 and #4 drawer)
So, a trip to Lowes the other day...did not even spend enough for the 10% Military Discount to kick in.....and brought home 5 handles...
Will make a jig to center all 5 of these onto the drawers...so they all will line up.

Thought I had such a jig..somewhere....can't find it at the moment...always tomorrow, eh. About a week from buying a cheap shoplight...to light up the drill press AND the Bandsaw....they are kind of in a "Black Hole" at the moment. Have a quart of Kilz Oil-based Primer to apply to the pine parts of the stand.....intend to shellac the drawers.

Still have about 24 linear feet of 1 x 6 x 6' Ash to find a project for....Hmmm...;)

Stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
03-29-2022, 10:54 AM
Errands to run, today..Boss needs "a few items" from the store....

Need to move the drill press out/off of the stand...

Pull the tablesaw back out..

pull the drawers out and set aside...Makes the stand a little bit lighter to lift..
Lay the stand on it's side, and install 2 runners on one side of the stand..

Rotate the stand, and install the other two runners....

While the stand is up where I can get to it....brush a coat of Kilz Primer (oil-base, white) on all the Pine parts...turn the stand over onto it's back and complete the Primer job...including the top of the stand.

Work on the last drawer fronts....bevels need done, handles need installed, a coat of Amber Shellac all around..

I think THAT will be quite enough for today....maybe?

Stay tuned, down to the "Punch List" now...

May add some sort of pad to the bottoms of the feet.....to get them off the concrete floor...in case the Dungeon Creek should rise up...( next Gulley washer?)

steven c newman
03-29-2022, 8:30 PM
The Handles: Start here..
Preferred NOT to chase a drawer across the bench,,next, find the center..
Set a handle in place, using the MK2 Eyeballs to line it up over the center mark...mark the locations for the 2 screws..
Then drill a couple pilot holes..
Wax the 2 screws up, and install them....stash the drawer(s) out of the way, for now..
Keep going until all 5 drawers have a handle...
All line up.

Place the stand on it's side...and add the last 4 runners...using a drawer to help layout where the runners will go..
And see how they all line up..and that the drawers all work freely..

later, I can amber shellac the drawers, and primer coat the pine stand...

Just MIGHT get this project done by April?
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-30-2022, 9:09 AM
Managed to get 2 out of 5 drawers..
A coat of Amber Shellac...the only spot that did not get any shellac was the plywood bottoms...

Will see about the other 3 later today....and, give the pine stuff of the stand a coat of Kilz Primer....haven't decided on a top coat, if any.

Drawers will get just a second coat of the shellac....

BTW: the stash of Hardwood used for these drawers, was supposed to be Ash....

Stay tuned...MIGHT have this Project done, by tomorrow?

steven c newman
03-30-2022, 12:00 PM
Last 3 drawers now have a coat of Amber Shellac...inside and out.

Pine and plywood parts ( and me, as usual) got have coat of white primer...waiting for that to dry, before any second coats are applied.
Sides..
And top.
Primer..

Apparently, a package with a brand new light bulb for my bandsaw had fallen onto the floor while I was painting...stepped back onto the bulb....$3.95 at Lowes, next time I go there...drat!

steven c newman
03-31-2022, 10:41 AM
Painting day continues....film at 2300 hrs...

steven c newman
03-31-2022, 11:33 AM
Will see how these turn out..fingers crossed..
Primer was dry...rattle can, light blue..drawers were rubbed down with 0000 steel wool..
With the drill press bolted down...even it got a "touch-up"
Do I use this vise, or..
This one, with the "Quick-release"

Calling this Project..done.
Thanks for looking in...