PDA

View Full Version : How would you attach this to that...

Don Morris
03-18-2022, 8:40 AM
My neighbor is a former diplomat from Mexico. He gave me this very unique piece of Native Mexican Craftsmanship. It is a seed from a tree in the south of Mexico, cut in half and locally used to hold water as you would a cup. His sister works with the native tribe that makes these, so I even know the name of the individual artisan who made this. i would like to attach the seed to the plaque it is on. But, I am stumped as to how to go about attaching it. The sides do not lay flat against the plaque. I will have a brass plate below it describing what it is, where it came from and the artists name.Ideas Please!

First photo is the back/inside of seed. Second photo is art work on outside of seed. Third photo I tried to show how it doesn't adapt well to the plaque, and thus my dilemma about how to attach it to plaque.

Earl McLain
03-18-2022, 8:44 AM
I'm only seeing one photo, what appears view of the inside.
earl

Don Morris
03-18-2022, 8:55 AM
I see onky one in the post too. on my computer when I edit I see all three. How does that happen?

Don Morris
03-18-2022, 8:58 AM

These are the other two images.

Paul F Franklin
03-18-2022, 9:18 AM
To me, this cries out to be suspended from above from a stand so it can be examined from all directions.

Something like this, but made from wood and nicer:

johnny means
03-18-2022, 10:05 AM
To me this cries out for a spot on my kitchen counter, so it can be my vessel of choice for a quick sip of ice water.

Dwayne Watt
03-18-2022, 10:25 AM
Very pretty piece of art.
I would epoxy a piece of wood on the inside of the shell to do one of two things: permanently mount on the plaque but offset (float) the shell or use the epoxied wood as a hanger to connect with a permanently mounted arm on the plaque (much like a french cleat). The second option allows for removal and examination of the piece.

Frank Pratt
03-18-2022, 12:34 PM
Those are a pretty common souvenir item, so you don't need to treat it as fine art. Putting a suitably sized and shaped block on the plaque that will fit inside the piece, then use a blob of epoxy putty to secure it to the block & keep the edges elevated from the plaque the desired amount.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2022, 1:39 PM
I would make an interior frame to fit the interior of the shell in both horizontal and vertical planes. I'd attach the frame to the plaque and then use epoxy to attach the shell to the frame. The idea of suspending it as depicted above looks good too!

Charles Lent
03-18-2022, 3:24 PM
The outside of it is beautiful. I would want it to show more than the interior, but being able to see both sides should be high on your design goal. Hanging it in a stand so both sides can be seen, or a piece of wood attached to that plaque that fit the inside of it to hold it in place, but allow it to be lifted off for examination of the interior, would be my suggestions. Epoxying it in place would rob the viewer of half of it's beauty.

Charley

Ed Aumiller
03-18-2022, 4:46 PM
All good ideas... except I would use hot-melt glue to attach anything to the inside. Hot-melt glue will allow the glue to be completely removed in the future if you decide to change mounting, etc... and it will last a long, long time.

Like the idea of hanging it best.

Don Morris
03-19-2022, 10:59 PM
Didn' even think of suspending it so both sides can be seen. Worthy idea to be able to see both sides. That's more easily accomplished as I see it too. Have to think on this a little. Or as we've heard often: "There's more than one way to skin a cat." Thanks everyone for the input and putting up with my problem photography. New computer (Macbook Pro M1chip) is great but I'm still getting to know it. Don M

Tom Bender
03-24-2022, 5:50 PM
I might just put it to use, filled with pistachios or something.