PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Adapters

James Baldwin
03-17-2022, 5:56 PM
Hi, I'll be picking up my new to me Jet 1642 EVS lathe next week. I'll be getting a Nova 1 1/4" x 8 insert for my Nova chuck. I'll need to get a 1 1/4" x 8 female to 1" X 8 male adapter to use some of my other accessories. There seems to be a lot of choices in that department. I have noticed that some of them don't have set screws to lock them in place for reverse turning. Is a set screw necessary? I sure wouldn't want a face plate to fly off. Thanks, Jim

Tim Elett
03-17-2022, 7:26 PM
I always give the set screws a little nudge on my insert for my nova chuck. I guess it depends if the insert is used for reverse operations

David Walser
03-17-2022, 8:03 PM
... There seems to be a lot of choices in that department. I have noticed that some of them don't have set screws to lock them in place for reverse turning. Is a set screw necessary? I sure wouldn't want a face plate to fly off. Thanks, Jim

Short answer: Yes, the set screw is necessary if you're going to run the lathe in reverse. Long answer: Heck, yes! The set screw is absolutely necessary if you're going to run the lathe in reverse.

James Baldwin
03-17-2022, 9:03 PM
I know that my Nova chuck has a set screw which I used with the insert. So on the 1 1/4" x 8 female to 1" x 8 male adapter for face plates I should get one with a set screw right. Then I can lock it to the head stock spindle for reverse operation correct? Say if the adapter doesn't have a set screw would if fissionable or practicable to drill and tap it for a set screw? I have drills and taps. Jim

David Walser
03-17-2022, 11:02 PM
Jim -- If you're comfortable with your metalworking skills, there's no reason you could not drill and tap the spindle adapter to accept a set screw.

Tim Elett
03-18-2022, 3:53 AM
I purchased mine ready to go ,I think the instructions stated, for reverse turning.

James Baldwin
03-18-2022, 10:18 AM
I'm probably going to purchase the Nova adapter for the chuck and the Nova 1 1/4" x 8 female to 1" x 8 male adapter at my local Woodcraft store. They're less than $35 each and one with out the set screw is $20 and my time is worth something. Jim

Tim Elett
03-18-2022, 7:06 PM
That's sort of what I thought, out of the box on with the turning.