PDA

View Full Version : dewalt 616 & 618 template mounting

Brian Runau
03-17-2022, 10:58 AM
OK. Cleaned the collets, shafts of bits etc...Played with my Freud routers this morning. the FT2200 is working fine. Holds bit etc... the FT1700 not so much so I need to replace it. Jim Becker recommended the dewalt units and I am trying to make sure it will accept the bushing guide kit like the type set up I have on my Freud units. I looked on their site and believe it said they accept std bushing template kits, but I can't see anything in the manual or on their site that shows how they mount on the Dewalt units and not sure what standard in the industry is? May be over thinking this, but wanted to be sure before I do anything.

These are how mine mount now, is this industry standard?

Thanks.
Brian

Lisa Starr
03-17-2022, 11:15 AM
My 618 takes these bushings https://www.grizzly.com/products/shop-fox-brass-bushing-10-pc.-set/d3117. I can't tell exactly what your bushings look like.

Brian Runau
03-17-2022, 11:34 AM
My 618 takes these bushings https://www.grizzly.com/products/shop-fox-brass-bushing-10-pc.-set/d3117. I can't tell exactly what your bushings look like.

Lisa, thanks same set up I have appreciate it. Brian

Jim Becker
03-17-2022, 3:41 PM
The DW618 (and it's siblings) take "standard PC" type guide bushings. Most routers do, but there are certainly a few outliers... :)

Kurt Wyberanec
03-17-2022, 5:06 PM
Yes they take the standard porter cable style guides... good machine though I've had to replace 2 over the years with burnt out motors....

There also appears to be some variation of the machine over the years some are made with aluminum bodies and others had magnesium....I feel the magnesium ones were smoother in operation that requires the movement of the body.

One thing I'll note is that the spindle lock is not very convenient for most people if using in a table... I've got a little tool that works well for me to push on it when using. Out of a table you have to hold the machine against the handles to get enough torque to tighten.

Overall good machine with fairly adequate power, though sometimes is like more...I currently have 3 in operation...

I thought about trying a festool unit but it's a hard pill to swallow. I like the size factor of the 618 and don't really want something larger just a bit more power.

Definitely buy one as a combo though if you get one.