PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielsen Chisels - Setup

James Jayko
03-17-2022, 9:44 AM
I bought a bunch of Lie Nielsen chisels and they're absolutely amazing.

That said...the edges are so sharp that they literally cut my fingers if I choke up on them to get into a cut. Do you guys ever ease the edges on these chisels?

George Yetka
03-17-2022, 9:56 AM
I didnt with my veritas. I dont use them too heavily, but when i do I avoid wrapping around the metal tightly. I will hold top and bottom occasionally but never around the sides.

Robert Engel
03-17-2022, 10:18 AM
I've heard of this, but haven't experienced it.

But I have heard of people easing the edges.

Jeffrey Hood
03-17-2022, 10:21 AM
I had the same problem... just took a small diamond file (maybe 1k grit or so...?) and just took a few strokes on the sharp edges to break the edge... works like a charm and no more slicing fingers...

Rob Luter
03-17-2022, 11:08 AM
Mine have very crisp edge geometry, but not cutting edges. I've had them a few years and have never had an issue.

mike stenson
03-17-2022, 11:21 AM
I eased mine. The edges are now crisp, but not as sharp as they were. I got mine very shortly after they were introduced. Most of the time I just wish chisels were flat and square enough for this to be an issue.

Scott Winners
03-17-2022, 1:09 PM
One of my L-Ns had edges so crisp I could hardly pick it up without bleeding. I left future cutting edge on the lower side alone back an inch or so, but the rest of the corners I eased. I think I used a fine file and then sand paper to clean up.

Ben Ellenberger
03-17-2022, 3:18 PM
I typically hit the edges of my chisels with sandpaper to ease them. I don’t do much, but enough to keep them from cutting me.

todd butler
03-18-2022, 9:43 PM
I recently purchased 5 LN chisels, all of them had a 10 thousands or so wide flats on the long edges. Definitely not enough to cut my fingers. But 1 of my 5 the back was not even close to flat.

Al Weber
03-19-2022, 1:01 PM
Bought mine years ago and had bleeding fingers until I softened the edges with a fine diamond stone. Just enough to remove the knife edge.

Mike Henderson
03-19-2022, 2:21 PM
Bought mine years ago and had bleeding fingers until I softened the edges with a fine diamond stone. Just enough to remove the knife edge.

That's basically what I did, also.

Mike

Frederick Skelly
03-19-2022, 8:18 PM
I recently purchased 5 LN chisels, all of them had a 10 thousands or so wide flats on the long edges. Definitely not enough to cut my fingers. But 1 of my 5 the back was not even close to flat.

If you bought them new, why not send the one back to LN. For what you pay, it needs to be flat.

James Jayko
03-21-2022, 7:30 AM
If you bought them new, why not send the one back to LN. For what you pay, it needs to be flat.

Agreed. Having bought a lot of stuff from them, seems like they take pride in everything leaving the factory perfect.