PDA

View Full Version : Shop Vac Upgrade

Mike Congiusti
03-17-2022, 9:33 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking to get better dust collection from what I have now. I currently use a Rigid 16 gallon wet dry vac with a Oneida dust deputy. It does OK but I want something better. I was looking at the Oneida mini gorilla but I don't want to spend that much ($1,800) and space in my garage is very limited. Oneida makes a 10 gallon dust deputy deluxe which looks nice and has added capacity. Is there a better vac other than the Rigid with better CFM? I plan to build an upright cart to house this with the vac on the bottom and the dust deputy on top. I know its not a dedicated dust collector but space and money come into play.

My needs include using a Dewalt 735 planer (it has a fan assist), a Grizzly hybrid TS, miter saw, sanders and general cleaning.

I'm spoiled as I had a 3HP Oneida Dust Gorilla system fully plumbed in my shop up north.

Thanks

Mike

Leigh Betsch
03-17-2022, 9:44 AM
Just for a cart idea

Robert Engel
03-17-2022, 10:25 AM
Shop vacs are just that - vacuums, meaning high suction/low CFM. So they don't work very well for table saws, or any machine with a cabinet (jointer, router table).

How about a portable DC? There are some with pretty small footprints, not much bigger than your shop vac set up.

Lisa Starr
03-17-2022, 11:25 AM
It may be more than you want to spend, but I'm very happy with my SuperCell. It holds its own with my bigger equipment and works great with the small port tools. Additionally, I was able to stuff the thing into a 3 x 3 closet and make my shop much quieter.

Greg Parrish
03-17-2022, 11:30 AM
Just went through this too. The SuperCell looks awesome but was $1k more expensive than the Mini Gorilla. Having previously had a V-3000 also with hard plumbed dust collection, I wanted something good but mobile. I took a chance on the Mini Gorilla and am happy so far. Seems to have a ton of air flow and is basically as quiet as the V-3000 was. Doesn't take up much floor space and should work well for my usage on one tool at a time.

Mike Congiusti
03-17-2022, 11:51 AM
Just for a cart idea

I have something very similar. Again, it works OK. I plan to build a better cart as this type is not very sturdy. When I was first thinking about the mini gorilla it was around $1,200 or $1,300. At $1,800 no way! I just can't justify it. With a garage shop I'm very limited. Grizzly and jet have a small wall mounted unit I was considering but I could not build it around a cart.

I will come up with something.

Greg Parrish
03-17-2022, 12:31 PM
I have something very similar. Again, it works OK. I plan to build a better cart as this type is not very sturdy. When I was first thinking about the mini gorilla it was around $1,200 or $1,300. At $1,800 no way! I just can't justify it. With a garage shop I'm very limited. Grizzly and jet have a small wall mounted unit I was considering but I could not build it around a cart.

I will come up with something.

holy cow. Bought mine around a month ago and it was $300 to $400 less. Doh!!

Andrew More
03-17-2022, 12:42 PM
What is your budget? If you just need a bit more power, you could stop routing the shop vac through the dust deputy. You'll have to replace the bags more often, so trade offs. If you're looking to just spend a little more money, then I'd look at getting a dust extractor. Festool, DeWalt, Bosch, etc all make them for work with concrete tools, and they're a step up from the typical shop vac. After that comes the Harbor Freight 2 HP Dust Collector, and then I'd look at some of the portable DCs from Grizzly and the like.

al ladd
03-17-2022, 1:36 PM
I've never seen a report about how these work, but I'd love to hear about it--
https://www.oneida-air.com/multi-cyclone-dust-deputy-diy-design-kit?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuMuRBhCJARIsAHXdnqM8uGJQ39OipMnh vcK3eS6sAaMvUTEpqeaAtC0S11UstLnsqlW7puwaAnH7EALw_w cB

William Hodge
03-17-2022, 8:42 PM
An Ultra Clean SC200 has 125" of static lift at 121 cfm. It works great for sanders, over the blade on a table saw, and any small port tool. It works well with a regular dust collector for shavings. It works great with a dust deputy on a 55 gallon drum.

One great thing about the SC 200 is that made in Canada, is almost completely metal, and has an easy to replace motor. Instead of buying a plastic vac from China every three years, this thing should out last me.

Dave Sabo
03-18-2022, 9:18 AM
I've never seen a report about how these work, but I'd love to hear about it--
https://www.oneida-air.com/multi-cyclone-dust-deputy-diy-design-kit?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuMuRBhCJARIsAHXdnqM8uGJQ39OipMnh vcK3eS6sAaMvUTEpqeaAtC0S11UstLnsqlW7puwaAnH7EALw_w cB

I doubt it’s suction would be impressive. Those vac they’re using are rated at 50-60cfm for a total of 120cfm and that’s before you subtract the loss the 3 cyclones are gonna place on them.

Mike Congiusti
03-18-2022, 9:39 AM
I have a Drain Vac central vacuum that I made it portable because I did not want to open all the walls in my home. It's a 150 CFM unit. I had this unit as a central vac in my home I sold in PA. That worked great for the house. I can easily hook up the dust deputy to see how it works.