PDA

View Full Version : NJ Shop Build – Finally Started Work

Sal Cangialosi
03-16-2022, 4:55 PM
Well, it has been quite some time; but work has finally started on the new shop addition I previously posted about. I mentioned in an earlier post that the goal was to get the shop out from the basement and to accommodate a larger stroke sliding table saw and possibly CNC. For a number of reasons, the property did not support a separate building so I ended up adding an addition to our walkout basement of approximately 320 Sq/Ft where I will do bench and non-large machine work. Here’s a concept drawing of the outside and a pic of work starting.

To do this I moved my existing equipment out of the corner of the basement to a space adjacent to the new addition. Here’s a pic of the old space. And a photo of the new space where the equipment has been moved. I’ll post a pic of the new layout once all the clutter is relocated.

Best,
Sal

Leigh Betsch
03-17-2022, 8:45 AM
Excellent. I very much a fan of having the shop attached to the house, provided that the shop noise is controlled. My new shop is an addition to the attached garage so the noise doesn't get to the house. How do you plan to handle the noise?

Sal Cangialosi
03-17-2022, 9:20 AM
First and foremost, being kind to my wife!
Since I’ve been working in the basement for about 14 years, the track record has been successful.

I find that as a hobby shop the machines are not running for very extended periods of time.

The biggest contributors to noise are the dust collector and the compressor. I am looking at a California air tools 20 gallon Compressor to help with that noise. Also I built a closet for both the dust collector and the compressor. Once I get settled in the machine space,I need to work on that closet to minimize the noise. I started by putting rock wool on the non-cinderblock walls and ceiling.

Thomas Wilson
03-19-2022, 1:14 PM
I remember your posts planning and dreaming this space. I know it feels good to have the dream become a reality. I like the rear elevation. It looks nicely integrated into the existing house. I suppose there is an elevated porch/deck over the shop? That will be a nice addition to the main level. Congratulations.

Jim Becker
03-19-2022, 8:27 PM
'Glad you have your project going, Sal! I'll be following along for sure.

Sal Cangialosi
03-20-2022, 11:11 PM
Thanks Thomas and yes. The original deck was just demoed and a new one will be built over the addition. It will be slightly larger than before which will be a nice bonus.

Sal Cangialosi
04-05-2022, 9:41 AM
Some progress...

Footings done and inspected, block walls completed with insulation and waterproofing. Now waiting for some clear weather to pour the slab.

Jim Becker
04-05-2022, 9:48 AM
Nice progress!

Unfortunately, this is not going to be your week for a concrete pour based on the weather...rain starting later today and not abating until Friday it looks like.

Sal Cangialosi
04-05-2022, 10:47 AM
Yes... I was anxious to see the slab done since they are ready for framing. Oh well. Waited quite a while already. Hopefully by end of May/June we will be done.

Sal

Jim Becker
04-05-2022, 11:36 AM
They theoretically could do the slab after the framing work... ;) ...but doing framing in the rain isn't fun, either.

I took advantage of the sun yesterday to do my initial grade baselines with the laser as I knew that most of the week is going to be more appropriate for indoor activities. This is not going to be a good week for the building trades where something isn't already enclosed!

Tom Bender
04-08-2022, 9:06 AM
Actually rainy weather can work ok for a concrete pour, if it is not real heavy. Your finisher will know what to do. Anyone can place concrete but a good finisher can make all the difference. I definitely recommend hiring a good finisher.

You have a couple of downspouts to manage. I guess you could run them just under the new eves.

Sal Cangialosi
04-08-2022, 12:15 PM
Concrete is starting today!

Tom, We installed drainage pipe both inside and outside of the footings. They tie into a drywell at the back of the yard. The downspouts from the roof will also be connected along with runoff from the new deck/roof.

Jim Becker
04-08-2022, 1:33 PM
Very exciting! I hope the pour goes well and it's a beautiful day for it for sure!

Meanwhile, my back yard feels like a swampy-bog...we got 3.57" of rain in the last two days.

Sal Cangialosi
05-02-2022, 2:05 PM
Slab poured and initial framing done. Nice that it now feels like a real space.
Roofers should be in tomorrow to install the waterproof membrane under what will be the deck.

Jim Becker
05-02-2022, 3:43 PM
Good move with all the windows...not only nice for you, but very attractive to potential buyers for "someday" when it's time for you to move on. The roof deck will be nice outdoor living space, too. Matt Cremona is doing a similar thing above his addition project and the membrane just went on for that, too.

Jack Frederick
05-05-2022, 10:31 AM
Taht is a nice space Sal, but looking at the pics seeing the guys with the wheelbarrows of concrete I just groaned. To much of that work is why i feel like I do today;) I hired a pumper. In looking at the top deck area I would think that a nice screened in porch would fit really well. In our MA house we had a nice deck, but you couldn’t use it evenings because of the bugs. In order to maximize the view from the elevated porch I set the sills at 18” and made mahogany grids up to the 36” height for safety purposes, but it allowed us to see the ground close to the house so it worked out well. The screened porch allowed us to actually be outside and it became the best room in the house.

Sal Cangialosi
05-05-2022, 12:20 PM
Thanks Jack and that is a good idea to consider. We certainly have our share of bugs in NJ...

Being now 66 and watching these masonry guys work was truly impressive. I can see how doing that overtime can take its toll.

Best,
Sal

Sal Cangialosi
05-05-2022, 12:29 PM
Jim,

I give up some wall space; but a main driver was having good light and aesthetics. Especially since much of the time is spent at the bench.
I have an area behind this new addition for machinery and it will compensate.

We installed the 60mil EPDM membrane. Will do flashing around the adjacent walls next. Hopefully this stuff stays watertight!

Sal

Sal Cangialosi
05-07-2022, 12:41 PM
Well - here's a pic of the membrane on the roof. At least we will have a good test with the rain yesterday and today.

Sal

Jim Becker
05-07-2022, 2:47 PM
Yea, with as much as 3" of rain before this storm is done...real good test of that membrane!!

Zachary Hoyt
05-07-2022, 6:55 PM
The membrane looks great. Now you have a reflecting pool too, which is always a nice feature.

Sal Cangialosi
06-04-2022, 10:48 AM
Seems like it takes forever to schedule each sub in succession!

Some progress:
- Siding primed and installed.
- Rough electrical done
- Installed gas line and electric to the deck
- Outside hose bib
- alarm
- water proofing and sealing

next we need to finish brick detail and terrace
some insulation will be done next week; but spray foam is backed up 6 weeks. Looking for alternatives

glenn bradley
06-04-2022, 12:09 PM
Looking good. Exciting stuff.

Leigh Betsch
06-05-2022, 8:57 AM
I did my own general contracting on my home addition and shop build. Well, the lumberyard manager and me. He had all the supplies and really employed all the subs on the projects that were run thru the lumberyard. He said if I pay the subs directly I could save the 3% he would charge if the labor billing went thru him. After getting to know the subs I realized that they just talk between themselves and really just scheduled themselves. They were all working on multiple jobs and would bounce around so none of the subs were at a standstill. But, this did optimize things from a sub workload it didn’t necessarily optimize my project from a timeline point of view. I understood this very well and really was okay with it. I got along great with all the subs and even today I can call any of them up and likely get them here within a day or two for a small project. It took about 3 years (it was a much bigger project than just a shop) but I really could not be much happier with the entire project. I pulled the lumber yard manager aside and told him how happy I am with all the subs and lumberyard staff. In my career I managed a lot of engineers and I learned that if you are willing to acknowledge good work you will get great respect and work ethic in return. In the end I saved way more money than the 3% billing.
I even sold my ATV to my carpenter and my Mercedes to my plumber.
I bought my concrete guy a beer last week, he’ll be here next week to pour my kennel slab!

it’s like having an entire construction crew on a retainer.

Sal Cangialosi
06-05-2022, 1:25 PM
great points Leigh

I am hoping for the same opportunity to work with the sub contractors in the future. Although the scheduling is frustrating; we are really almost done! Just need an alternative for the backed up spray foam.

Sal

Sal Cangialosi
06-16-2022, 9:49 AM
Some more progress...

Retaining walls, blue stone patio, brick trim are now done. Need final details and walkway down to the new addition.

Inside we completed the sub floor and closed cell for the ceiling. We got lucky and the sub for the foam came in earlier than their delayed schedule which now allows the finish of drywall and other dependent steps.

Sal

Sal Cangialosi
08-05-2022, 4:24 PM
Other than the deck, which is delayed for too many reasons, I am done with the shop. Now starting the process of moving in. Good to finally be able to start using it.

Jim Becker
08-05-2022, 4:31 PM
That's going to be an amazing space to work in, Sal! Congratulations!

Ron Selzer
08-05-2022, 5:14 PM
Very nice!