PDA

View Full Version : Buy materials for summer projects now

Bill Dufour
03-15-2022, 5:39 PM
I plan to replace the galvanized pipes under the house this summer or fall. I decided to buy the PEX pipe now. I figure it is basically solid petroleum so the price will go up sharply, soon. Home depot does not carry pex-a. Lowes I had to special order it but they have free delivery of 100 foot coils.
Bill D.
Stupid HD search engine when I put in -"pex-B" all they show is pex-B pipe.

Barry McFadden
03-16-2022, 8:51 AM
Stupid HD search engine when I put in -"pex-B" all they show is pex-B pipe.

Maybe I'm missing something here but if you search pex-B pipe wouldn't you expect to see pex-B results??

Ronald Blue
03-16-2022, 9:02 AM
My search shows Pex-A at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/pex-a%2520pipe?NCNI-5

Michael Weber
03-16-2022, 10:41 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here but if you search pex-B pipe wouldn't you expect to see pex-B results??
The hyphen before the quoted statement means do no include. Or should anyway. Search engines suck for the most part.

Jim Becker
03-16-2022, 10:51 AM
Big box home improvement stores have different product/inventory mixes depending where they are. Many of them will also show search results that indicate an alternative location for availability when the local store is out or doesn't carry something. HD's system works that way in my experience. But also consider a "real" plumbing supply for a serious project when you want a particular PEX "system"/brand.

Bill Dufour
03-16-2022, 11:16 AM
My search shows Pex-A at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/pex-a%2520pipe?NCNI-5

I could only find the 1/2 in pex-a. Lowes got the sale thanks to hds search engine failure.

Bill Dufour
03-16-2022, 11:18 AM
The hyphen before the quoted statement means do no include. Or should anyway. Search engines suck for the most part.

Is it a hypen? I thought it was a minus sign. Is there a difference on the keyboard.
Bill D

Ronald Blue
03-16-2022, 5:38 PM
I could only find the 1/2 in pex-a. Lowes got the sale thanks to hds search engine failure.

That link showed 3/4" available with free delivery. I think Barry is correct. Your search returned exactly what you searched for. I rarely use either of those two businesses. Menards is my go to for most things. I realize that isn't an option out your way however.

Bill Dufour
03-17-2022, 2:08 AM

I did not put in " pex-B". I put in "-pex-b". I thought that would remove any result with "pex-b".
The logic gets a bit confusing when they use "-" in the title. Like PEX-A and PEX-B.
maybe the search engine sees it as a double negative and thus includes only stuff with PEX-B in the title. But that is not true since it returned a few pex-a things.
Ferguson pipe will not talk to me since I am not a licensed contractor. I should have asked normac. Not sure if they carry pex or not. I doubt it.
Bill D

Bill Dufour
03-24-2022, 7:52 PM
I need to buy a few more sheets of 2" Polyiso insulation. In a month the cost went from $32 to $47 at Hoe Despot. Holding at $33 at Lowes.
Bill D

Jack Frederick
03-24-2022, 10:33 PM
I have an acct at Ferguson. I could place a “will call” order for you. That would be the Uponor pex-A which is all I use. Certainly there are other good products but I’ve had excellent results with Uponor. I also have the expanding tool which I much prefer to the crimp ring. Should you choose to go this way, I’ll send you my Milwaukee tool. I lent it to a friend who had the hand operated expander. He said it “saved his a**”. Let me know if I can help.

Bill Dufour
03-25-2022, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the offer Jack. I have the handtool for expansion pex. I was able to order the pex-A tubing from Lowes so I think I am set for this project. Like I said I am not going to do this until summer at the earliest. I also need to do some attic insulation and radiant foil work.
Bill D

Brian Elfert
03-25-2022, 10:58 AM
I need to buy a few more sheets of 2" Polyiso insulation. In a month the cost went from $32 to $47 at Hoe Despot. Holding at $33 at Lowes.

I wish I could find 2” polyiso isulation at any of the big box stores locally. Menards is special order with a month lead time. One insulation supplier will sell retail, but they are a 50+ mile round trip and I don’t need it bad enough to spend that much on gas.

Bill Dufour
03-25-2022, 2:08 PM
I have three Hd's and one lowes within 5 miles. I am lucky if one of them will have one or two sheets of the 2" polyiso.

Brian Elfert
03-25-2022, 3:04 PM
I haven't been to Lowes, but neither Menards nor Home Depot seem to carry 2" polyiso here. There isn't even an spot on the shelves for it.

Bill Dufour
03-25-2022, 4:43 PM
Today lowes claims 133 sheets of 2" in stock. I bought all four they had at $33. The shelf tag said $27.
HD $47 a sheet.
Bill D

Michael Schuch
03-25-2022, 5:40 PM
If you don't need it till summer forget the big box stores and order it online!

https://www.supplyhouse.com/

I have purchased many orders through these guys and they always beat Lowes/HD by a wide margin on the stuff I purchase (They don't have to pay the Amazon man in the middle tax). Don't hold me to this but their shipping has actually been faster than amazon lately. Usually 2 - 3 days at my door which does beat Amazon at my location. I believe they have free shipping on orders over a set amount. Their plumbing selection makes Lowes/HD look like a corner gas station mini-mart.

No affiliation other being a happy customer.