PDA

View Full Version : Machinery transport costs

Kurt Wyberanec
03-15-2022, 1:46 PM
So I've got a thread going about a particular full sized slider in looking at... it's about 2000 miles away and would need to be shipped....

Was getting a little more excited as the chances of getting it were going up but decided to call a shipper today to see what is be looking at......3k!!!

I can't believe how much this adds to the purchase... needless to say think I can't consider machines this far away... very disappointing...

If anyone has any other solutions or know of better rates let me know... thanks

Greg Funk
03-15-2022, 2:30 PM
Did you try Freightquote? There is often a significant variation in pricing from one carrier to another. It will still be expensive but you might get a more competitive price.

Dave Roock
03-15-2022, 2:47 PM
Just calling a shipper is why you got that high of a price. Seller should have a shipping account for much better price. Is slider going to be put on pallet and wrapped by shipper ? Having weight & dimensions & pallet would be essential before calling freight trucking company. Shipping freight is very expensive, I get a good laugh when I see people complaining about a $300-450 charge for large power tool - only because a very large company, with a big volume discount pricing, is the price so low - residential delivery adds greatly in cost also. Big shock for most people when they ship 1 item. Such a machine will not unload with liftgate ( most likely).

Kurt Wyberanec
03-15-2022, 2:56 PM
It's an auction house and I simply called their recommended shippers... the auction house will load the machine but I think the super will tarp it... trying another outfit as well but not expecting much better... have to figure round trip they're looking at a 3k fuel bill, so depending how many loads they have that can add up fast....I was hoping around 1k.... boy was I off!

Dave Roock
03-15-2022, 3:05 PM
Try to calling ArcBest https://arcb.com (https://arcb.com/) Do you have weight and dimensions ? Taking delivery at a commercial location will save $$$$. Should be much less in cost - big national trucking company will have many other crates in trailer, this will lessen costs - they also will be picking up many in your general area.

Kevin Jenness
03-15-2022, 3:16 PM
Try calling a trucking or moving company local to you. If they are making a trip to your target area they may be looking for a return load.

Have you inspected this machine? Is it a sweet enough deal to account for any unseen problems that may crop up, or does it come with any warranty?

Dave Roock
03-15-2022, 5:00 PM
Try calling a trucking or moving company local to you. If they are making a trip to your target area they may be looking for a return load.

Have you inspected this machine? Is it a sweet enough deal to account for any unseen problems that may crop up, or does it come with any warranty?

Local company will not be able to compete on price, much their shipping is somewhat local - big national/semi-national freight company will have other freight moving to OP's area & have freight scheduled for more pickup and return delivery. I have done a lot of crate building, shipping & receiving for many years. Always will be able & willing to assist others. $3,000 was probably quote from small shipper. Can be discouraging when calling in for quotes - don't give up !

Richard Coers
03-15-2022, 6:18 PM
Do some research and identify the correct shipping code. Then maybe try FreightQuote.com Did they add custom pallet construction in the price? That could easily be $500. How about fuel surcharge? One thing against you will be that the slider is likely factored in as oversized freight. I'd really be nervous that they would support and strap down the slider correctly.

Dave Roock
03-15-2022, 8:00 PM
Do some research and identify the correct shipping code. Then maybe try FreightQuote.com Did they add custom pallet construction in the price? That could easily be $500. How about fuel surcharge? One thing against you will be that the slider is likely factored in as oversized freight. I'd really be nervous that they would support and strap down the slider correctly.
FreightQuote is a third party which sends out mass email to small shippers & takes percentage/adds extra cost. Big national/semi national freight companies handle huge volume and can afford to offer better prices = no empty trailer drives back. We use ArcBest. YRC, Old Dominion, Holland Freigt ht, etc are big national companies also - they do not need a 3rd party to get business. Best price will come from those companies ( unless you have friend with truck !)

Ronald Blue
03-16-2022, 5:48 PM
I had no success with freightquote when I needed two large pallets of lumber moved from Pennsylvania to Illinois. YRW ended up being the best rate. That was in 2018 and the dimensional sizes were roughly 4x4x12 feet and about 2,000 lbs. Cost was just under $900. Undoubtedly it would be higher now but still much better than what you were quoted. The best bid I received from Freightquote was 1500 and then the guy got nasty when I declined. Said I'd regret it etc.

Kurt Wyberanec
03-17-2022, 12:29 AM
I had no success with freightquote when I needed two large pallets of lumber moved from Pennsylvania to Illinois. YRW ended up being the best rate. That was in 2018 and the dimensional sizes were roughly 4x4x12 feet and about 2,000 lbs. Cost was just under $900. Undoubtedly it would be higher now but still much better than what you were quoted. The best bid I received from Freightquote was 1500 and then the guy got nasty when I declined. Said I'd regret it etc.

That's ok... today I got a quote for 4800!! It's absolutely insane... gas is high but not that high.

David Buchhauser
03-17-2022, 12:40 AM
Also - make sure the transport company or shipper you are planning to use has cargo insurance. Have them provide a copy of their "cargo insurance affidavit" or certificate to make sure they have this type of insurance and their limit is sufficient to cover their full load of equipment or cargo. Some of the providers offer optional insurance that you can purchase to cover your item in case of damage or loss.
David

Jim Becker
03-17-2022, 3:48 PM
That's ok... today I got a quote for 4800!! It's absolutely insane... gas is high but not that high.

Kurt, it's not just about fuel cost...there is big demand for shipping services and a lot less drivers are available due to retirements, etc., over the past couple of years. I forget what the number of needed drivers in the industry is right now but it's "yuge". Less trucks moving, in other words, and that pushes up the cost.

Malcolm McLeod
03-17-2022, 4:44 PM
... a particular full sized slider in looking at... it's about 2000 miles away ...

So after speculating that we wouldn't compete for the same used machines, due to how far apart we are ... :( ... I put together some details from your other posts, and concluded that maybe we did?

I put in a bid today for the SCM unit up for auction in Austin; closing today. I did not get it, stopping well short of the final bid price, since all the adders associated to an auction drove my 'landed' price too close to a new machine - and that was with me going there to pick it up - only 250miles. Not sure if you did bid, but if so, I hope you won and it will serve you well!

Kurt Wyberanec
03-17-2022, 5:00 PM
So after speculating that we wouldn't compete for the same used machines, due to how far apart we are ... :( ... I put together some details from your other posts, and concluded that maybe we did?

I put in a bid today for the SCM unit up for auction in Austin; closing today. I did not get it, stopping well short of the final bid price, since all the adders associated to an auction drove my 'landed' price too close to a new machine - and that was with me going there to pick it up - only 250miles. Not sure if you did bid, but if so, I hope you won and it will serve you well!

Haha Malcom... was it the technomax machine? It clicked a lot of boxes for me and I was tempted but the crazy shipping costs kept me from bidding... it went for higher than I would have thought though and don't think I would have went that far... was worth around 5 maybe 6 to me all in and this would have put it close to 10. Too bad seemed good.

Malcolm McLeod
03-17-2022, 5:03 PM

This could be A LOT OF WORK with unknown timing, but if you know of a manufacturer in your area that runs their own trucks, and they run full to a customer site (however far away). Once they drop the load, either the driver or their traffic manager, will contact a freight broker to try to arrange a back-haul ...so they are earning at least something on the run back to the home facility. Contact that company and let them know your needs... a long shot and very much dependent on their schedule, but often all they want is enough revenue to pay for fuel and maybe the driver's time.

(In a life long ago, we routinely ran from DFW to as far away as Denver and one duty of the Plant Engineer was to help work this equation. It ate my time, the driver's time, fuel, tires, and could delay our next shipment - - and often I would have run convenient back-haul freight for pennies on the dollar.)

Malcolm McLeod
03-17-2022, 5:04 PM
Haha Malcom... was it the technomax machine? It clicked a lot of boxes for me and I was tempted but the crazy shipping costs kept me from bidding... it went for higher than I would have thought though and don't think I would have went that far... was worth around 5 maybe 6 to me all in and this would have put it close to 10. Too bad seemed good.

Great minds think alike.:cool:

Dave Roock
03-17-2022, 7:07 PM
The best way the best freight shipping price is to have a business account with that freight carrier - if unable to do that, think if you have any friends/relatives who have a business account. Multiple crates often get a better price under "volume shipping" rate prices. One time shipping always gets higher rates.