PDA

View Full Version : Cutting board questions

George Yetka
03-15-2022, 10:35 AM
Im working on this end grain board. and have a couple questions.
1) Glue up. Im thinking the easiest thing for me to do is glue up small sections. maybe 4x8 or so using cauls. Clean up those glue ups and glue the rest. Is there any easier way. Final board should be just under 14x20x 2-1/4"

2) The 16 corner pieces are a pain in the butt to make and I got to the end and miscounted making them. Individual blocks are 1x1 and I have to cut it to get the 45s to glue up. Ive been making laminated strips 12" long or so but cutting it down seams to be very dangerous. Should I give up on trying to cut down 1x1 stock on a 45 and go to making a 1x6 or so and cutting that down or is there a safe way to cut 1x1 stock down?

al ladd
03-15-2022, 9:02 PM
Pretty board! When I make boards with a similar element, I rip stock on a tilted band saw,and made a sled with a v groove(the sled was made on a table saw) to hold the resulting triangle pieces to go through a thickness planer to clean up the band saw marks. I work in 18" lengths, making blocks 18:" thick I'd cut into 17 or so cutting boards (this was production livelihod work for me). For small amount you can probably hand plane or sand the band saw marks away.... See https://www.alladd.com/cutting-boards-large-square/index.html for examples.

George Yetka
03-16-2022, 11:43 AM
Thanks Ill give it a shot