PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop - Router table - Floating Dust Collection - Question

Greg Parrish
03-15-2022, 8:36 AM
Has anyone figured out a way to use a router table on the right side of the saw while also using the floating dust collection setup from Sawstop? I've seen some ideas while using the blade guard mounted collection tube, but haven't found anything for the floating setup yet. Just curious if it's possible and looking for ideas. Thank you.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm referring to the dust tube physically being in the way of the router table as opposed to using it for dust pickup on the router table. LOL :)

Andrew More
03-15-2022, 9:22 AM
I haven't really thought of it as a problem, since I run dust collection through the fence and box.

Greg Parrish
03-15-2022, 9:25 AM
I haven't really thought of it as a problem, since I run dust collection through the fence and box.

Right, but isn't the overhead tube for the saw in the way of any larger work pieces on the router table? I wasn't thinking about connecting it to the router but more that the tube would be in the way during use if I put the router option on the right side. Was initially thinking I'd add a router to the left of the blade but may want to put a slide table on that end one day.

Alan Lightstone
03-15-2022, 9:25 AM

I do the same with my combo. I actually have switched to using my Festool vac for the fence and the dust collector for the router box. I find the combo works much better than having the dust collector do both alone. Must be my bad for design of the system, as the dust collector should easily handle both, but in any case using both the Festool vac and the dust collector works decently well.

I guess you could add blast gates and duct to share the floating arm with the router box, but seems like a lot of work.

Jim Becker
03-15-2022, 10:14 AM
I don't use an overhead collector with the PCS in my temporary shop, but I do have a cast iron router table on the right side. (I share the drop hose between them which is easy with quick connect hardware) I can see how a collection arm that has to fasten to the machine structure itself would interfere with the routing function if the normal direction for using the router table is perpendicular to the saw blade. I don't really envision a good solution other than either considering putting the routing station on the left side or creating a routing solution that is use parallel to the front fence rail instead of perpendicular to it.

Frank Pratt
03-15-2022, 10:37 AM
I have a router table on the right as well, so those over arm ducts don't work for me. I have a 2.5" flex dropping from an overhead duct that connects to the standard SS guard. Works great.

Last weekend after a couple of hours of using the table saw the .3 micron particle count was at 20/cu. meter. The count in the shop after it's been vacant overnight is usually around 120 - 250. In the house, which has 3M's finest 2 stage electronic filtering, it's around several hundred. Last night I did some cutting with the sled, so no guard. The count was over 65,000. But I could not see any dust coming off the top of the saw & the shop air was just as clear as can be. I was quite shocked at that. It took the DC about 20 minutes to get it back down.

Robert Engel
03-15-2022, 10:40 AM
I see some people put the router table on the left.

Greg Parrish
03-15-2022, 10:56 AM
The left side mount seems to be a no brainer and with that I can probably use the floating over arm for router table top dust pickup also.

The idea of putting it on the right side but turned 90 degrees is appealing. Wish someone made a cast top with that orientation. It would add more usable table surface as well, so I'm surprised no one offers it. Might consider building my own as a replacement for the 36" table insert that came with the saw. Plus it would not add to the overall length and would still allow a slide table if I ever wanted it.

Andrew More
03-15-2022, 11:31 AM
I do the same with my combo. I actually have switched to using my Festool vac for the fence and the dust collector for the router box. I find the combo works much better than having the dust collector do both alone. Must be my bad for design of the system, as the dust collector should easily handle both, but in any case using both the Festool vac and the dust collector works decently well.

I've hooked up a shop vac to my guard collector on the sawstop as well. The small power on the guard dust collector means that only high static pressure from one of these units is going to work well, most dust collectors don't have high static pressure.

@Greg - I don't see a solution with the floating overarm dust collector from SawStop. You could make your own, it's not that challenging, and then either mount it to the left hand side of the table, or the ceiling. You could also build a stand for the OEM version, making it free standing, and then put it on the left, or mount it to the ceiling. I think in both cases the length of the first part of the arm means a lot of space dedicated to the tube.