PDA

View Full Version : Panel Clamps: Frontline engineering vs Woodpeckers Clampzilla

Justin Choi
03-14-2022, 11:50 AM
Anyone have experience with both? I've been wanting the Frontline clamps for a while, but toolguyd hasn't had the 3-pack of 36" clamps in stock for a long time, whereas woodpeckers looks like it's taking clampzilla out of onetime tool status and making it a part of their regular product line. Conceptually, I think the frontline clamps apply more flattening force than clampzilla, but if the boards are reasonably square and true, I would think that either would work fine. In truth, I think my glueups would be a lot easier if I just broke down and used dominoes to assist with alignment. But for some reason, overpriced clamps seems like less of a splurge than an overpriced domino. Even though I know in the back of my mind that I do want a domino down the line anyway...

That said, I'm still looking for a better clamping system. Hand cranking my parallel clamps and setting up cauls on bigger glue-ups always makes me nervous, and that makes woodworking a lot less fun. So I'm looking for something to make it less stressful.

Alan Lightstone
03-14-2022, 12:27 PM
I just have the Clampzilla. I find it very awkward to use, and generally skip it. Shame, and money down the drain. You would think it works great, but getting the clamps positioned for the correct size wood, and do it in time before the glue starts to set are, to say the least, difficult. Now this could just be me, mind you , but...

Patrick Kane
03-14-2022, 1:16 PM
I had the product that you mount vertically to the wall and looks a lot like the Frontline clamps. Plano Clamp or something like it--I forget the name of it, but thankfully i purchased it used for a song. Immediately sold it after using it a few times. In theory, these products are great. In practice, i found they are too finnicky and therefore arent effectively used often. Things you might find more helpful. Look for a JLT panel clamp flattener. Some are pneumatic so you need a compressor, and some are hydraulic. I am 90% sure they can be used independent of a clamp rack/carrier. Finally, i can tell you the domino is the most effective panel glue up tool ive used to date. On big glueups like a table top or island, its more than worth the 20 minute investment to put 3-4 dominoes along the length. My stock is very flat and true from my milling process, but the domino ensures you dont have any clamping woes. Over the years, its saved me a hundred hours of extra sanding/hand planing to flatten a big glue up.

Albert Lee
03-15-2022, 5:18 AM
here is a link to a very detailed discussion/review of Frontline engineering clamps

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f171/frontline-clamps-review-236095

I have 6 sets of Frontline, I will take them to my grave with me.

Patrick Kane
03-15-2022, 10:56 AM
here is a link to a very detailed discussion/review of Frontline engineering clamps

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f171/frontline-clamps-review-236095

I have 6 sets of Frontline, I will take them to my grave with me.

Looks like my earlier comparison to the brand i had was unfair. The user Aargghh goes out of his way to say how horrible the Plano Clamps(i remembered the name correctly!) are in comparison to the Frontline clamps. However, i still stand by recommendation that for $800+, i think your money is better spent on a domino.