PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
03-14-2022, 10:10 AM
14 Mar 2022

Greetings,
It's been a good week and a busy week. I spent some time in the shop getting my new DRO setup and working on my tablesaw that I ordered from Accurate Technologies (ProScale). The install was easy enough and I like how it works so far.
I also ordered a new miter saw to replace the 15+ year old Hitachi SCMS 12" slider that I've worn out the bearings on. The new saw is the 12" Makita SCMS and I hope it's going to be as good and long-lasting as my old Hitachi.
I got the joinery marked out for the legs on the bed for my #2 son. I start cutting that joinery later today.
I start oncall duty for the day job tomorrow morning. So, we'll see how this week goes for time in the shop.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Myles Moran
03-14-2022, 10:21 AM
I got all of the mortises cut in an aquarium stand that's been sitting partially completed on my workbench for a couple weeks. I was happy I got the time to run them all in a single operation since with the panels using the same alignment I had to be careful to reference everything off the same face (easier than trying to get the router jig perfectly centered in the stock).

More importantly i finally got to use my new router table and lift. I now 100% see why they're so popular, getting the bit dialed in perfectly was the easiest it's ever been - much better than the 1618 was with it's "above the table adjustment) that liked to walk a little when I tightened the clamp.

Aaron Rosenthal
03-14-2022, 11:30 AM
A few years ago I harvested some branches ~12" diam. of Alder, and they've been drying whole in my basement. Yesterday I bandsawed the wain and flattened the cuts with a #7.
Today I plan on starting cutting them into a few 8/4 blanks, checking the moisture content etc. so I can build a pair of memory boxes for 2 granddaughters I'll be seeing at the end of the month in Los Angeles.
From a previous log, I already have book-matched live edge top and bottom panels.
Otherwise, it was a clean up week. I replaced by rear fence, and rather than try and work the 6/4 red cedar planks which were fairly deteriorated anyway, I threw all the debris into the pickup and took it to the dump.
Time to get the garden ready with good prices gong up exponentially.

Jim Becker
03-14-2022, 11:55 AM
'Glad you had a good week, Dennis!

Our whole house generator project is now complete, outside of my painting the bollards after things dry out in a few days. It's nice having the peace of mind that backup power brings, especially in a 100% electrice home. :) Also made some progress on the initial things for the shop building project...zoning letter is about to be released and I made the decision to go post frame for cost, fast build and adaptability. Once I have the zoning letter, I can make a final decision on the purveyor of said building, get a deposit in to hopefully freeze the cost via contract and proceed with the building permit process. I'm thinking about ground prep, too, which I intend to do myself as I have the Big Orange Power Tool available. It's a little machine and will not be as fast, but it will do the job. I'll add a toothbar to it to be a little more savage with that pesky ground. :)

This week is more planning, getting a package together to explore power scenarios with the electrician, and thinking more about interior layout. I also have to get moving on tax returns; finishing up our older daughter's and getting started on ours.

Eugene Dixon
03-14-2022, 12:27 PM
Finished flattening the pecan cookie. Road trip to FL and delivered the lighthouse to USF. Good to get a little R&R away. Filed taxes. Time to finalize DC planning.

Bruce Wrenn
03-14-2022, 9:46 PM
Got back to heart rehab. Had to take a break as wife had right knee replaced and a Statin drug did me in. Hoping for no permanent muscle damage from drug. Cut the grass TWO times. Boy does it grow fast in the spring. Pruned grape vine. Need to prune a lot of hedges / bushes. Bought materials and started mixing potting mix for self wicking tubs. Buying store bought would kill me as each tub takes three bags @ $15 each. Tomato seedlings are doing nicely, under grow light. On these warmer days, they go out on front stoop, which is sheltered from the wind. Started both peppers and lettuce seed. In less than five days, lettuce is up. Thursday had first senior pot luck luncheon in some time (Covid.) Took Red Beans and Rice, candied yams (actually sweet potatoes,) and tea for iced tea, along with deviled eggs. Worked on a rescued mower. Took carburetor off and drained the water out. Put in fresh fuel and it cranked right up. Made a couple of pies (chocolate meringue.) One and half of the second, I gave away to grandson, and some of the widows in our small goupe from Sunday school class.

Paul F Franklin
03-14-2022, 10:52 PM
Finally finished getting all the humps and dips in the hallways flattened out. The corner where the two hallways meet was a royal pain as the two hallways were tilted in different directions so I had to taper the rather large patch in two directions, and it was still a compromise. The feather finish floor patch sets really fast, 15-20 mins, so I had to mix small batches and work quickly. Anyway, it's done, and I got flooring down in the main hallway with the entry hallway still to do. But I switched direction to start pre-finishing the trim. Weather will be mild this week so it's a good week to have to be in the garage, and since I'm using oil based stain and poly, it will take a while to do all the trim. I can lay more flooring while waiting for finish to dry between steps. In spare time, I've started designing flatware and knife organizers for a few kitchen drawers, and spice bottle racks for two rollouts in the pantry. Small projects, both, but at least it's woodworking!

Meanwhile, Golda is recovering from her ACL repair and has been cleared by the vet to take short walks, so we're back to talking her for two short hikes a day. She still limps, and her leg is still wobbly, but vet says it will take time to build her muscle back up. She is so happy to get to go for hikes, even short ones.

Mike Stelts
03-15-2022, 9:19 AM
Having seen the picture of a fancy storage compartment for Felder outriggers, I decided a to make a quick and easy version. Now, I can keep Fritz, Franz, clamps, squares, pencils, etc. right in front of me.

Jim Becker
03-15-2022, 9:45 AM
That's actually a pretty kewel idea, Mike! The outrigger takes up the room it does, so leveraging it like that makes sense.

George Yetka
03-15-2022, 10:11 AM
'Glad you had a good week, Dennis!

Our whole house generator project is now complete, outside of my painting the bollards after things dry out in a few days. It's nice having the peace of mind that backup power brings, especially in a 100% electrice home. :) Also made some progress on the initial things for the shop building project...zoning letter is about to be released and I made the decision to go post frame for cost, fast build and adaptability. Once I have the zoning letter, I can make a final decision on the purveyor of said building, get a deposit in to hopefully freeze the cost via contract and proceed with the building permit process. I'm thinking about ground prep, too, which I intend to do myself as I have the Big Orange Power Tool available. It's a little machine and will not be as fast, but it will do the job. I'll add a toothbar to it to be a little more savage with that pesky ground. :)

This week is more planning, getting a package together to explore power scenarios with the electrician, and thinking more about interior layout. I also have to get moving on tax returns; finishing up our older daughter's and getting started on ours.

Jim, your all electric? Do you have gas to the house? That is pretty expensive heat.

Jim Becker
03-15-2022, 10:19 AM
Jim, your all electric? Do you have gas to the house? That is pretty expensive heat.

I'll modify my statement...the heat is currently a heat pump with oil backup. IE, it's oil when it's colder than a certain temperature. It's not "resistance heat" which indeed would be expensive. Everything else is full electric. The generator will use propane. There is natural gas in the street, but the local provider requires a huge investment within 12 months of agreeing to conversion in order to get the line into the house, and even then, there is almost a year wait for installation at the current time. The heating system was brand new in 2016 in this house and it's not cost effective to replace it with a gas system and that would be a requirement to get natural gas. If I had to replace it, I'd be very inclined to go to a really efficient, zoned split system (a very modern heat pump) but that's not needed right now. Our power bills here are a third of what they were at the other house and we DID have gas heat there! We only used about $1000 of oil for this winter season and that was only that high because the more recent fill was at a higher price.

Steve Wurster
03-15-2022, 3:02 PM
Having seen the picture of a fancy storage compartment for Felder outriggers, I decided a to make a quick and easy version. Now, I can keep Fritz, Franz, clamps, squares, pencils, etc. right in front of me.

If I ever get a shop that's big enough for me to leave my outrigger mounted all the time then I definitely want to do something like that. My shop is too small for that now though, so the outrigger hangs on a wall when not in use.