PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #6 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
01-18-2006, 8:56 PM
This morning was cold, 13 degrees. Coldest we've seen in a few weeks around these parts.

The forms came off this morning revealing fresh concrete walls which will support our new home. A couple of guys from the GC showed up and proceeded to get the drain tiles installed as well as a couple more sump holes. The inspector was there about 8:45 and checked over and signed off on the foundation walls. It's a go for the next stage.

By late morning the flat work guys showed up to prep the ground for pouring the floors in the new section tomorrow. They really want to get the floor poured as tomorrow [Thursday] is supposed to be in the mid 30's and sunny. After tomorrow the weather goes down hill for the weekend. Predicting snow for Saturday with maybe as much as 4 inches from what I heard.

Brian, the GC's lead man is supposed to be there tomorrow and we are going to discuss the removal of enough block to make two doorways into the new sections. I might have to make the doors myself because they won't by any means be standard height and I would prefer them to be wider than normal. I may be coming to the collective wisdom of the great people here for advice making doors. Never done anything like that before.

Still no electric to the garage and there won't be until week after next. So my woodworking is going to be non existant until that time. I'm really getting antsy to start on a couple of lamps for the new house. I also have promised my mom a headboard to match her walnut bedroom set.

A surprise:cool: coming in about a week. ;) :cool:

Thanks for looking. More to come.

Karl

Art Mulder
01-18-2006, 9:12 PM
I see in the background of photo #4 that you've got yourself a bathroom -- Good old Johhny on the spot.

As for doors... since the crawlspace will have a poured floor and wall, and be sealed against the outdoors... why bother? You could just leave it as an opening. In any case, no rush on that.

John Miliunas
01-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Hey Karl, tell those jerks to quit messin' up your grass!!!:eek: :D :cool:

Jerry Olexa
01-18-2006, 11:30 PM
And I thought all this was for a new pool...Only kidding, my friend. Looking good, Karl. Get the cement in before it hits 32 degrees.

Frank Pellow
01-19-2006, 4:52 AM
These reports are great Karl. I feel like I am your neighbour watching prgress on the house just across the street (instead of across most of one province, all of one state, and part of another state).

Karl Laustrup
01-19-2006, 6:38 AM
Art, yeah not really where I wanted the thing, but they dropped it off while I was gone. I'm waiting for him to come back and get him to move it. I'm guessing he'll be back at some point during construction. :eek:

Spring there are green spots, but for the most part the lawn is toast. That'll keep me busy once they're done building. Gonna have to go over the area with a magnet first though. I've already seen a slug of nails and they aren't even framing yet. I don't need a bunch of flat tires on the JD.

OH NO!!! I forgot the pool. :eek: ;) :D

Thanks Frank. Glad you are enjoying the posts. Hopefully, as much as I enjoy your posts when you document a project.

Karl

Bill Lewis
01-19-2006, 8:02 AM
I've already seen a slug of nails and they aren't even framing yet. I don't need a bunch of flat tires on the JD. When we were building our house the first framing crew decided to burn the cutoffs, bracing and scrap. I was not pleased and put a stop to the practice. I went over the burn pile with my magnet on a stick and picked up SIX 2-liter bottles of nails (the only container I could find). After all the fuss I made, I caught a cleanup guy sweeping the floor out the back, nails an all. Shortly thereafter that crew was fired, for many reasons.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-19-2006, 8:22 AM
Hey Karl, tell those jerks to quit messin' up your grass!!!:eek: :D :cool:

Man I tell ya Karl it's hard to find good help! Let Spring and I know if you need some muscle to keep them boys in line!! Or just for holding up shovels! :O