PDA

View Full Version : New Dewalt TS blades

Doug Jones
07-19-2003, 5:15 PM
Any one have a user opinion on the new line of Dewalt table saw blades? I went to Woodcraft (another story on this in Keith's posting) today and the guy there said he swears by the new ones. Just as good as Forrest blades and at half the price. Told me if I buy it and don't like it to bring it back at full refund. Also Woodcraft is having a 10% off everything in the stores next week. Since I drove over an hour to get to the store he said he would give me the blade at next weeks sale price. So I bought it and wondered if anyone else has used this blade before. Its the 40 tooth final cut blade with triple chip guard.

Jason Roehl
07-19-2003, 5:22 PM
Any one have a user opinion on the new line of Dewalt table saw blades? I went to Woodcraft (another story on this in Keith's posting) today and the guy there said he swears by the new ones. Just as good as Forrest blades and at half the price. Told me if I buy it and don't like it to bring it back at full refund. Also Woodcraft is having a 10% off everything in the stores next week. Since I drove over an hour to get to the store he said he would give me the blade at next weeks sale price. So I bought it and wondered if anyone else has used this blade before. Its the 40 tooth final cut blade with triple chip guard.

I can't comment on the TS blades, but I do have the DW7630 miter saw blade (12" 96T -5deg hook)--and it makes glass-smooth, accurate cuts. I got mine for around $105 with shipping from someplace out East (can't remember the name, but I just saw it mentioned here in the last week or so, too). Even though I like it, I am also intrigued by all the rage around Forrest blades, so one of those will likely be my next when I need one.

Ron Meadows
07-19-2003, 7:10 PM
Doug,

Mind telling us what you paid for the Dewalt blade? The last Forrest WW II blade that I bought cost me $89 + shipping. Over the years I've tried Oldham, Freud, Jesada, Lietz, and a couple others but without a doubt my favorite blades are made by Forrest. True some of then cut comparatively well when new, but report back after using it moderately hard for say a couple months. Forrest uses a better grade of carbide than the others so the good cut you get from them lasts longer. I can't see myself ever buying anything but Forrest from here on out.

Ron

Bob Boake
07-20-2003, 9:46 AM
I went into the tulsa store to ask about forrst blades and the sales person steered me to dewalt blades. I did not buy. Not a bad blade from my understanding, but doesn't stand out from the competition. Sounds like the dewalt reps are working with the stores to increase market share.

Ken Salisbury
07-20-2003, 10:30 AM
Pics are better than words:

Doug Jones
07-20-2003, 10:37 AM
Ken,
I had a feeling that I'd be seeing that picture of yours again, when I posted this thread. Thanks for your input.

Jim Becker
07-20-2003, 11:04 AM
Well...I suppost the Dewalt blades are fine blades, but I'm also a dyed-in-the-wood Forrest believer. I've been using the 40t WW-II for over four years now as well as the Dado-King and recently bought one of their new 20t "extreme" ripping blades. Not only do these blade cut extraordinarily well, they also stay sharper longer. I also paid $89.95 for my last WW-II 40t purchase which isn't all that different than other premium blades.

Herb Kelley
07-20-2003, 2:21 PM
In my opinion I have found the best blade... Thank you but not interested in spending money in search of a better blade. Paid $89 plus tax for my last two WWII blades. Also very happy with my 12 inch chop saw blade.
But to be honest it is not used everyday. It only comes out for special cuts.

Perry Schmidt
07-20-2003, 4:02 PM
What do the teeth look like? Read an article in Shopnotes (I think - maybe Woodsmith) talking about sawblades. Basically said that the really good smooth cutting blade's teeth don't taper in. Looked at some Freud and my Forrest and sure enough - the Freud - although a fine blade - the teeth taper in and the WWII doesn't. (When looking at the blade from the end, the teeth taper in from the edge/tip going to the center of the blade.)

So what does the DeWalt do?? Anyone else read that article?? I wondered what other blades besides the Forrest use this type of tooth?? The article (unfortunately) didn't elaborate on brands that had these types of teeth...

Perry

P.S. Oh yea - until someone 'proves' the DeWalt cuts like the WWII I - like the others - am sticking w/ the WWII. Nice blade!!

Kevin Hewitt
07-20-2003, 6:26 PM
I have been using Dewalt blades for three or four years now. I am quite happy with the results. I purchase them when they are on sale (40%) at a Dewalt factory outlet.

After a lengthy dicussion with my sharpener, I will be replacing them with Forrest and Dimar blades as they reach the end of their life. I have what I consider a unique relationship with my sharpener. He has, first of all, a top notch reputation, but secondly, gets to talk to all the other users for their opinions on blade performance. He also knows first hand how many sharpenings he can get from a blade. Because of his knowledge I involve him in my blade purchasing decisions.

To make a long story short, in his opinion, Forrest has a lot of high quality carbide on a high quality blade. User satisfaction is also extremely high. From an economical standpoint, he said that I would be further ahead financially if I spent the money up front and let the blade pay me back with considerably more sharpenings than the Dewalt. I can't remember the figures that he threw at me but Forrest won.

The Dimar blade was to replace my dado set when it's time.

I hope this information helps.

Kevin

nic obie
07-20-2003, 7:23 PM
Wouldn't be nice if Timberwolf and Forrest got together.

Think of the money they could save on advertising.

Maybe then they could lower their prices.

Till then.................

I'll buy other blades. :D

Jim Becker
07-20-2003, 10:43 PM
Wouldn't be nice if Timberwolf and Forrest got together.

Think of the money they could save on advertising.

Maybe then they could lower their prices.

Till then.................

I'll buy other blades. :D

Vell, I tell you...the Forrest at $89.95 is not a bad price, considering it will last for years and years with only a few sharpenings required. I did a calculation awhile back (numbers lost), and the payback period of the WW-II over buying inexpensive "throwaway" blades was fairly quick taking into account one sharpening per year or so. It's only a little longer in comparison to a mid-range blade that has a lot less (and softer) carbide, too.

As far as Timberwolf blades, if you buy them direct from Suffolk (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com), they generally cost the same or less than any mediocre blade you can find on the shelf in a retail store. Sure, if you buy the PS Wood packaged versions, you're paying through the nose, but direct purchase from Suffolk is about half the retail packaged price. And the great advise from them is free...