PDA

View Full Version : California 10020C Air Compressor

Dave Fritz
03-13-2022, 2:12 PM
Today the pressure relief valve went off and the pressure didn't react to turning the valve down as the compressor just kept running until the tank pressure popped the pressure relief valve. Reading the troubleshooting guide they say pressure switch bad or needs adjusting. I see information on their website about adjusting it so I'll give that a try, however if that doesn't do it will a generic pressure switch from our local farm supply store work?

Mark e Kessler
03-13-2022, 2:37 PM
i just had this happen, I don’t think mine is the same model and California Air was use less in helping. I ended up taking the pressure relief off (i think thats the component, and cleaning it and haven’t had the problem since. I have heard of one that had that problem and continually ran and almost burned their shop down so watch it. I am up on the mountain but when i get home will take a pic of what i am talking about and post it.

Today the pressure relief valve went off and the pressure didn't react to turning the valve down as the compressor just kept running until the tank pressure popped the pressure relief valve. Reading the troubleshooting guide they say pressure switch bad or needs adjusting. I see information on their website about adjusting it so I'll give that a try, however if that doesn't do it will a generic pressure switch from our local farm supply store work?

Dave Fritz
03-13-2022, 3:02 PM
Thank you, I would appreciate that. I was outside and heard the pressure relief valve let go. When I went in I turned off the machine and released the pressure some, then turned the control valve down to 60 PSI and turned it on again. I quickly went past 60 and kept going. I shut it down before the pressure relief valve popped again. I did take the cover off and turned the pressure valve down 1/4 turn and it made no difference. On a good note I have the compressor on a remote and turn it on and off only when I'm using it. I'm glad I was home when it popped. I was going to put air in my truck tires.

i just had this happen, I don’t think mine is the same model and California Air was use less in helping. I ended up taking the pressure relief off (i think thats the component, and cleaning it and haven’t had the problem since. I have heard of one that had that problem and continually ran and almost burned their shop down so watch it. I am up on the mountain but when i get home will take a pic of what i am talking about and post it.

Bill Dufour
03-13-2022, 3:10 PM
The regulator has no control on tank pressure. is the relief valve good or not? what is tank pressure when it pops off.
If the tank pressure is too high the presuure switch is not working correctly. Unlikely to need adjustment. More likely something is jammed or the contacts are welded shut.
Bill D.

Mark e Kessler
03-13-2022, 3:14 PM
It’s not the pressure switch its som sort of other safety gizmo, I don’t think i have seen them on a reg ol’ compressor but i am sure they exist on other brands, I thought it was my pressure switch as well bit it was not

The regulator has no control on tank pressure. is the relief valve good or not? what is tank pressure when it pops off.
If the tank pressure is too high the presuure switch is not working correctly. Unlikely to need adjustment. More likely something is jammed or the contacts are welded shut.
Bill D.

Dave Fritz
03-13-2022, 3:26 PM
I did not see the exact psi when it popped but it was high enough for me to conclude the pressure relief valve was working, thank goodness. According to the California Air Compressor troubleshooting materials it's the pressure switch and I too suspect no adjustment will fix it. I'm wondering if a generic air compressor pressure switch would work, much cheaper. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200873379_200873379?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Compressors%20%3E%2 0Air%20Compressor%20Parts%20%2B%20Maintenance%20%3 E%20Air%20Compressor%20Pressure%20Switches&utm_campaign=Powermate&utm_content=104281&gclid=Cj0KCQiAybaRBhDtARIsAIEG3klO8MwUdvu2vbKlNXx8 itptEbA0C2-w54OvwTxo1cEHA2bnO1W24hcaAk9fEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bill D.

Mark e Kessler
03-13-2022, 10:21 PM
Rereading this I am thinking maybe we had different issues, my check valve (pic below) was randomly sticking open causing the compressor to continuously run.

Did you contact the company? I would, I had an issue that I thought was the pressure switch a few years back and they sent me a new -I don’t know what it’s called part (lol) its where the pressure gauges connect

I did not see the exact psi when it popped but it was high enough for me to conclude the pressure relief valve was working, thank goodness. According to the California Air Compressor troubleshooting materials it's the pressure switch and I too suspect no adjustment will fix it. I'm wondering if a generic air compressor pressure switch would work, much cheaper. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200873379_200873379?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Compressors%20%3E%2 0Air%20Compressor%20Parts%20%2B%20Maintenance%20%3 E%20Air%20Compressor%20Pressure%20Switches&utm_campaign=Powermate&utm_content=104281&gclid=Cj0KCQiAybaRBhDtARIsAIEG3klO8MwUdvu2vbKlNXx8 itptEbA0C2-w54OvwTxo1cEHA2bnO1W24hcaAk9fEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Paul F Franklin
03-13-2022, 10:40 PM

A generic pressure switch might be ok....but you have to make sure the switch is rated to handle the voltage and current for your compressor. I don't see any voltage or current rating for the switch you link to, so no way to know if it's suitable. You also need to know if the current switch has a bleeder (unloader valve) or not, and make sure the new switch matches. The unloader releases the pressure between the compressor and tank when the motor is off so the compressor isn't starting against a load. Most compressors have them. There is a check valve that prevents the unloader from draining the tank.
Other considerations are the size of the tubing connections to the switch. You want them to match what you have or you will have to fool around with adapting the connections.

ETA: One thing you might check is that the pipe that connects the pressure switch to the tank isn't plugged up with rust and gunk. If it gets plugged up, it can prevent the pressure switch from opening when the setpoint pressure is reached.

Bill Dufour
03-14-2022, 1:19 AM
Did you contact the company? I would, I had an issue that I thought was the pressure switch a few years back and they sent me a new -I don’t know what it’s called part (lol) its where the pressure gauges connect

475807[/QUOTE]
Manifold?
Bill D.

Mark e Kessler
03-14-2022, 8:31 AM
Bill,
You are right, is manifold - I was out of it from skiing all day and a few beers at the bar didn’t help my thought process…(did help in other ways though), lol

Manifold?
Bill D.[/QUOTE]

Curt Harms
03-14-2022, 8:33 AM

I had something similar happen to a small Campbell Hausfeld compressor. I ordered a pressure switch which incorporated an unloader valve. When I got it, it looked like something from Fisher Price. Returned that, went to Grainger and got a Square D pressure switch and separate inline unloader valve. No problem since.

Dave Fritz
03-14-2022, 3:14 PM
Positive outcome: I called the company number and after trying non-warranty extensions I finally found a person on the warranty extension even though it was out of warranty. Eddie was extremely helpful. We trouble shot it and found the pressure relief valve was faulty. Simple and cheap fix. Thanks again for all your help.

Jim Tobias
03-15-2022, 10:42 AM
Just saw this.......I've had to take it off and clean and reinstall this part on my 10020C twice in the last couple of years. I think there is a sprink that has to be restretched and put back in.....don't remember exactly. Anyway, this seems to be a California Air Tools issue( along with poor customer service.

Jim

Dave Fritz
03-15-2022, 4:27 PM
Just saw this.......I've had to take it off and clean and reinstall this part on my 10020C twice in the last couple of years. I think there is a sprink that has to be restretched and put back in.....don't remember exactly. Anyway, this seems to be a California Air Tools issue( along with poor customer service.

Jim

Jim, did u mean spring? Did u remove the entire pressure switch and clean it? I'd b curious to learn more.