PDA

View Full Version : Router Table - Build or Buy???

Dennis Collins
01-18-2006, 8:22 PM
I am ready to own a router table and would like your opinions regarding the option of building or buying. And if buying is your suggestion, which one would you recommend. If I were to build a table, it would be something similar, if not the same, as the one that Norm uses on NYW. I already have a top that I can use but when you take a complete look at the costs for each option, I am not sure which is best.

To build, you have a substantial amount tied up in materials and parts, knobs, switch, casters or levelers, and of course your time.

If you buy, then the choices seem to be limited when looking at a comparable unit. BullDog, CMT, ?? These run ~$300.

So doing the life cycle cost analysis, and NPV, and Unit cost comparison and a full-expedited depreciation and whatever else. What would you do?

Thanks, Dennis

Jack Hogoboom
01-18-2006, 8:38 PM
Dennis,

I always wanted to build Norm's router table. As a woodworker, it felt dishonest to think aobut buying one. however, my time in the shop is limited by family and career responsibilities. Then I saw the recent router table review in FWW. The woodhaven router table kit won top honors for cabinet-style tables, so I asked my wife for the kit for Xmas. It came in several boxes, went together pretty easily (although there is still a lot of assembly to do) and seems to be at least as good as what I could have made myself.

So, while I wanted to build one, I recently bought one, and it works for me.

I hope this helps.

Jack

Bill Fellmy
01-18-2006, 8:53 PM
I wrestled with this decision several months ago and finally decided to build my own table (next project.) You can search this site and finds lots of outstanding examples. I plan to use/modify one of the members' tables (Aaron Montgomery) OR build/modify the floor standing model that Bill Hylton details in his book, Router Magic. The time will be much greater and the cost may also be equal to or greater than a purchased table, but I like the customized aspect of it.

Tom Peterson
01-18-2006, 8:59 PM
I built my with a Rockler top based on a variation of a plan. The nice thing about building your own is that you can get the height of the table set for you. Most times you are standing when using the table so higher seems a little better. Sommerfeld has their phenolic top on close out so you may consider that if you like that style.

Jim DeMarco
01-18-2006, 9:10 PM
I did build Norms router table, and I love it!! Of course Norm has re-designed... so now I have to build another one ;)

Gregg Mason
01-18-2006, 9:35 PM
Has anyone seen this one on that auction site, you know the one. You will find it if you search for ROUTER TABLE RT-1000SE.

It looks pretty nice and they have greally good feedback on it. I think it is simular to Norms, but I haven't had a good look at his. I was considering buying this one. I also dont have the shop time to build one right now.

PS. No assoc. with this item, just thought about buying it for myself.

Jim Becker
01-18-2006, 9:49 PM
IMHO...build. Even for someone with limited shop time available for projects, a router table is an excellent project. You can then make it exactly to your needs, including size, height, fence design, etc.

Peter Pedisich
01-18-2006, 9:52 PM
Dennis,

I built my own and to tell you the truth I learned a LOT. I researched (in 2001) all the popular tables and decided to model mine after the Bench Dog. I spent an hour or so here and there after work for weeks (before we had our son) and came up with a table that functions about the same as a Bench Dog type. I spend time with my boy when I get home now and would buy one without thinking twice.

There are so many nice ones out there now, with awesome lifts.

Good Luck!

Pete

John Harden
01-18-2006, 10:02 PM
You can do both if you want. I built a variation of the first Norm version and it's worked well for about 3 or 4 years. Recently, I purchased the JessEm phenolic router table top with built in lift. I particularly like the dust collection feature built into the lift that gobbles up the dust before it get's down to the router or inside the cabinet.

So, on this go around, I'll use a pre-made top and lift, then custom build the cabinet. This is a good solution for this lift and top as stock bases do not have storage built in. They're also a bit small. By building my own, I can make it higher as I prefer it up about 3" or so above the optional stand they offer or the Rockler stand. I also can build around the lift and belts and pulleys that go from the lift to the micro adjust dial built into the top.

Lessons learned from my other one will go into this new one.

That's my .02 anyway.

Regards,

John

Peter M. Spirito
01-18-2006, 10:21 PM
My first table was just like on the Router Workshop TV program. Actually my first was a little metal Craftsman table. My first real table I built just like on the Router Workshop and I have been real pleased with it. I then added some t-track etc. Now I am getting some hardware and Formica together for my second table. At the same time I am building a table for my drill press. Both will be similiar to the Incra tables sold by Woodpecker's. (same color top) I bought my t-track etc from them. :)

Don Selke
01-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Build your own router table, that is what woodworking is all about. As previously stated, you can design it around your own needs.

I built mine around Norms design with modifications to meet my needs. I recently added a router lift to accomidate my TR-12 router. It made all the difference in the world and life a lot easier. The fence is a clone to norms and I have to admit, it works perfect.

Allen Bookout
01-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Dennis, What router are you going to use in it? If you are going to use the Milwaukee 5625 build your own. Piece of cake. If so I will try to post some pictures tomorrow and if not I will defer. Allen

Jim Young
01-18-2006, 10:58 PM
I built mine out of mostley scrap material. It was based off the table in Bill Hylton's Router Magic. At the bottom of the link you can see some more pics with a slightly more detailed description.
http://www.simoli.net/pages%20woodworking/Shop%20pages/shop.htm

http://www.simoli.net/images/Woodworking/Shop/6rt.JPG

Jerry Olexa
01-18-2006, 11:44 PM
I wrestled with same decision a few years ago and ended up[ buying a top/fence kit from Rockler. Then built the underpinings myself. Used "router Magic" book as a guide (excellent book)

Cecil Arnold
01-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Build it. I've got one that looks almost just like Jim's, which is also very close to Norm's and it works great. As others have said, you learn a lot in the process.

Monte Milanuk
01-18-2006, 11:52 PM
After messing around w/ a couple cobbled-together contraptions (and that's being nice) I was starting to look for a nice little benchtop router table... I was eyeballing the Bench Dog unit, but finally got the Bosch RA1171 down at Lowe's. Works nicely w/ my Bosch 1617EVS and the extra under-table mount I have for it. Couple things I would definitely do differently when I get around to designing/building my own, but I figured for the quickie jobs that seem to be most of what I do right now, this works just fine.

Allen Grimes
01-19-2006, 12:17 AM
I vote build.

I built my own, though I will never show any pics of it. It works great, but it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen (I will build another when I have more tools).

Anyway, in my opinon, if you are a hobbyist then there is no reason for you not to build it. Isnt the building part the whole point of being a hobbyist? Besides, what could be a better project to learn off of than something like a router table, or a workbench for that matter.

Another thing, we woodworkers love our tools, I know that there are some people who like to pretend that the tools arent a part of the passion, but they are. What could be more rewarding than building your own tools? I know that I would build all of my tools if I could, the problem is I would still need to buy other tools to build them with.

tod evans
01-19-2006, 6:38 AM
my vote is build......02 tod

Tom Jones III
01-19-2006, 8:41 AM
Here is a little different take on it, build, but nothing like NYW model. Mine is all maple and consists 4 legs 1.5"x1.5" angled out in 2 directions 9*. 4 aprons only surfaced on the outside so near 7/8" thick maybe 1.5" or 2" tall. 2 stretchers hand DT into the apron. The stretchers are just far enough apart to put the router between them. Top is 1/2" thick MDF screwed down. Router is mounted with screws straight to the MDF. Total cost maybe $40. Work with it for a little while then build a fence. Maybe install some t-track or use your dado blade to make a slot for a miter gauge.

Be sure to check out http://www.patwarner.com/ He has a section on router tables. Search through the archives here for a thread referencing instructions on how to build his fence.

Ron Robinson
01-19-2006, 8:49 AM
Dennis,

I was in the same quandary last summer. I chose to purchase a table top with aluminum inserts from woodpeckers and build a cabinet underneath it.

Ron

Jim Becker
01-19-2006, 8:49 AM
Peter brings up a good point...I also am on my second router table. The first was cobbled together from an old microwave stand and a shop-built top. Worked fine and was a learning experience. My second is similar to both Norm's table and one in Bill Hylton's Router Magic book and even better fits my needs.

Pete Harbin
01-19-2006, 8:58 AM
My Dad and I built one a few years back. It's an open stand with a nice heavy table. One of it's best points is that I was able to customize it to a comfrtable hieght for me...6' 3" (me, not the table :rolleyes: )

Pete

Dan Larson
01-19-2006, 9:19 AM
I'm currently facing the same dilemma, but am leaning toward building my own. I've found the information in Pat Warner's book "The Router Book" and on his website www.patwarner.com (http://www.patwarner.com) to be very useful. I suspect I'll ultimately end up building a table like the one that he uses. Be sure to check out his fence design-- it's a clever bit of engineering and craftmanship.

Dan

Edit: Whoops, just saw that I retread the ground already covered by Tom...

Stan Mijal
01-19-2006, 5:09 PM
Greg,

I bought one of those RT-1000S's about 2 years ago. They are clones of the NYW table and are built well. You need to add in the cost of shipping however, since it is a heavy item (Mine to MI was about $80) .
I will still build my own (two router model for rail and stile making) but it is very functional right "out of the box".
I would not hestitate to recomend one of these to anyone.

Stan

Bob Yarbrough
01-19-2006, 6:25 PM
Bought the rockler top, modified it and installed an Incra fence system. Next is a quality lift.

Gregg Mason
01-19-2006, 6:57 PM
Greg,

I bought one of those RT-1000S's about 2 years ago. They are clones of the NYW table and are built well. You need to add in the cost of shipping however, since it is a heavy item (Mine to MI was about $80) .
I will still build my own (two router model for rail and stile making) but it is very functional right "out of the box".
I would not hestitate to recomend one of these to anyone.

Stan

Thanks Stan. I thought it looked like Norms. If I can get one at a decent price I may go for it. Shipping looks to be about 65.00 to me.

Steve Beadle
01-19-2006, 7:35 PM
I vote build.

I built my own, though I will never show any pics of it. It works great, but it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen (I will build another when I have more tools).
Allen, I'll wager mine is even uglier--but it works! I, too, vote "build."
I made mine out of scraps. The cost was minimal. Yeah, I'll probably build another someday.

The only way I would show a picture of mine is if I was entering an Ugliest Router Table contest!

Peter M. Spirito
01-19-2006, 7:51 PM
Thats quite a piece of furniture you most humbly call a router table. I enjoyed touring your shop via your web site.:cool:

Allen Grimes
01-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Allen, I'll wager mine is even uglier--but it works! I, too, vote "build."
I made mine out of scraps. The cost was minimal. Yeah, I'll probably build another someday.

The only way I would show a picture of mine is if I was entering an Ugliest Router Table contest!I dont know, mine is pretty hideous, (I'll never post pics). Its also made out of scraps, warped unplaned/unjointed craps.

It took me about ten minutes to build because all I did was cut some laps out and slap it together with some titebond. Even the fence is one big nasty scrap with one flat end that I push my wood against. The onlything that is not ugly about my router table is the router. But it works so I am happy with what I got (no Im not, but at least I dont have to spend any money on a router table for a while).

I will post pics of it after I build a new one so I can show a before and after.

The funny thing is as ugly as it is, it is ten times better than what my ex-teacher used to do. He would just sit his router upside down on top of a table and tie it down with with this cheap rope that broke real easily under pressure. That set up scared the crap out of me everytime I used it, because the router would slide around on the table during the whole process. I got a luxory set up compared to that guy.

John Keane
01-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Build.

I have built three router tables. First one was a plan from Woodsmith with a Rockler top. Worked extemely well until I went to Incra Jigs. My second table was a plan from Jointech (about $10) and that was for an offset table from Woodpecker.com. My third table was Norm's for a center set router top from Woodpeckers. The tables are/were all built form 3/4" birch plywood. The casters and hardware included probably did not exceed $75 per table. New deal is that Woodpeckers will fabricate a table top to your dimensions. You have to figure out whether you want a center position or an offset. Regardless of which table you want/select the Jointech plan (Jointech.com) is head and shoulders over Norm's, has more usable storage, and is easier to build. Jointech table is the offset. Good luck.

Dennis Collins
01-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Dennis, What router are you going to use in it? If you are going to use the Milwaukee 5625 build your own. Piece of cake. If so I will try to post some pictures tomorrow and if not I will defer. Allen

I have the PC 3.5HP plunge base router.

CPeter James
01-20-2006, 9:17 AM
Here is a link to a table built in Canada. I have seen them and the quality is quite good for the price. He is very good to deal with.

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/abarb/

CPeter

Frank Pellow
01-20-2006, 9:57 AM
I
The funny thing is as ugly as it is, it is ten times better than what my ex-teacher used to do. He would just sit his router upside down on top of a table and tie it down with with this cheap rope that broke real easily under pressure. That set up scared the crap out of me everytime I used it, because the router would slide around on the table during the whole process. I got a luxory set up compared to that guy.
That is the srariest use of a tool that I have eaver read about. :eek: :(

You say that the guy is your ex-teacher. I would think that, with tool use like that, his chances of also being also ex-this-world are quite high. As long as it's him that goes and not one of his students, we could regard this as natural selection in action.

Frank Pellow
01-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks for starting this thread Dennis. I am still not sure whether or not I even want a router table (remember the recent accidents that were reported here). But, if I do get one, John Harden's approach is probably the one that I will take,

You can do both if you want. I built a variation of the first Norm version and it's worked well for about 3 or 4 years. Recently, I purchased the JessEm phenolic router table top with built in lift. I particularly like the dust collection feature built into the lift that gobbles up the dust before it get's down to the router or inside the cabinet.

So, on this go around, I'll use a pre-made top and lift, then custom build the cabinet. This is a good solution for this lift and top as stock bases do not have storage built in. They're also a bit small. By building my own, I can make it higher as I prefer it up about 3" or so above the optional stand they offer or the Rockler stand. I also can build around the lift and belts and pulleys that go from the lift to the micro adjust dial built into the top.

Lessons learned from my other one will go into this new one.

That's my .02 anyway.

Regards,

John
Thanks for puting that idera into my head John.

Allen Grimes
01-20-2006, 10:09 AM
That is the scariest use of a tool that I have eaver read about. :eek: :(

You say that the guy is your ex-teacher. I would think that, with tool use like that, his chaces of also being also ex-this-world are quite high. As long as its him that goes and not one of his studenets we could regard this as natural sel;ection in action.I use the term teacher lightly. I learned practicly nothing useful from the guy at all. Everything I've learned has either been from books or the internet.

Anyway, one of his students recently had an accident, he somehow managed to cut his forearm open with a chisel. It was the teacher who actually told me about it when I saw him on the street and he was laughing about it saying that the guy was too dumb to be in his class.

I tried to tell him on many occasions that his practices were dangerous, but me being the student, he just ignored me or laughed it off. Needless to say I left that class, but it still gives me chills to know that some of the things Ive done in that class could have caused me to lose a finger, or even an arm.

By the way, I did talk to his superiors and they dont seem to care either. The laws here are basicly non-existant when it comes to stuff like that so there is no worry of him ever getting sued. All I can really do is recommend that people find another teacher.

The strange thing is, he says hes been WWing for 10 years, and he does still have all his fingers.

John Dingman
01-20-2006, 10:20 AM
I vote for build as well.....

I built this one using a rockler top, extended the top with melamine (sp) and used an old kitchen cabinet for the base. The fence is a Freud with zero clearance inserts. I wanted to build Norm's table or a variation of it but I couldn't see throwing this cabinet out.

hth,
John

Greg Narozniak
01-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Looks like great minds think alike :)

Marcus Ward
01-26-2006, 7:12 PM
I was torn between buying something and building something, thinking I could save money if I bought something nicer off ebay but in the end a big discount at amazon (fence and insert) got me to do it myself. I bought the freud fence and rousseau insert. And then I bought a PC router (690rlvs) because the router I had didn't have a removable baseplate! (skil). One thing, those bits are sharp even when they're not moving. I whipped my hand across the insert to see how flush it was and forgot there was a bit sticking up. Ouch. Seems to work great and the freud fence hooks to my shop vac and almost completely eliminates dust, even on mdf, and the adjustment on the fence is very fine.