PDA

View Full Version : Motor buying choices

Mark Gibney
03-11-2022, 11:42 AM
I'm in the market for a 5 hp 1725 motor, new or used.
There are some motors available from private sellers around here in the $150 - $180 range, Dayton and Marathon. Used, but have been sitting idle for some time by the looks of things.
No warranty, but they will be shown to run before I'd buy them.

My local electric motor service shop has used / serviced 5 hp 1725 motors for about $400, Baldor, several of them.
Six month warranty.

The plot twist is that I can buy a new 5 hp motor that of course is made in China for $400 locally.
It has two speeds - 1725 and 1480.

I googled this speed setup but I found zero information on it.
I prefer to buy American made, all else being equal.

A motor set on 1480 rpm would allow me to use the same pulley as on the old motor (it's 1420 rpm).
What would those of you with more experience in these sensitive matters do?

Thanks for any advice! Mark

Brian Runau
03-11-2022, 3:26 PM
I'm in the market for a 5 hp 1725 motor, new or used.
There are some motors available from private sellers around here in the $150 - $180 range, Dayton and Marathon. Used, but have been sitting idle for some time by the looks of things.
No warranty, but they will be shown to run before I'd buy them.

My local electric motor service shop has used / serviced 5 hp 1725 motors for about $400, Baldor, several of them.
Six month warranty.

The plot twist is that I can buy a new 5 hp motor that of course is made in China for $400 locally.
It has two speeds - 1725 and 1480.

I googled this speed setup but I found zero information on it.
I prefer to buy American made, all else being equal.

A motor set on 1480 rpm would allow me to use the same pulley as on the old motor (it's 1420 rpm).
What would those of you with more experience in these sensitive matters do?

Thanks for any advice! Mark

On the 1720/1480. If it was a true two speed motor it should say so on the nameplate? Not many around in industrial applications anymore with VFD's, many more used in the HVAC industry. I suspect it is the speed rating for 60hz/50hz hook up depending on how you wire it for what electrical source? It is difficult to actually purchase a standard American made motor. Like standard smaller 6000 series bearings most of them are made overseas and the larger HP, specials or lower volume units are made here. Baldor still makes motors in the US, but it is the specials or small runs. Techtop is a good quality Chinese made motor as well as North American Electric branded motors made in China. Rolled steel unit below.

https://naemotors.com/Electric-Motors/General-Purpose/Rolled-Steel/PR184T5M4A/ (https://naemotors.com/Electric-Motors/General-Purpose/Rolled-Steel/PR184T5M4A/)

Patrick Kane
03-11-2022, 3:38 PM
What is the application? Compressor maybe?

If its a light duty application where it wont be running for hours on end or many on/off cycles in an hour, then i would personally be inclined to go used motor. Especially if you can run the motor for 30 seconds before buying to make sure the bearings are fine. Generally speaking, its really difficult to kill a motor. I can all but guarantee your starter/switch dies before your motor.

Anytime ive purchased a motor in the past, it was a baldor or leeson. Lord knows what things cost today, but 3-4 years ago the price difference wasnt much between the chinese motors and a baldor. Maybe $100-150. I doubt the chinese motors are bad, just cheaper bearings, capacitors, etc. Nothing that cant be fixed if it craps out on you.

Mark Gibney
03-11-2022, 9:03 PM
Patrick, this motor would be for a 32” band saw. It won’t be run for hours on end.

Brian, I actually can’t read the nameplate information on the new motor (on the seller’s website) but I e asked them if I can come by to see it.

Brian Runau
03-12-2022, 6:53 AM
Patrick, this motor would be for a 32” band saw. It won’t be run for hours on end.

Brian, I actually can’t read the nameplate information on the new motor (on the seller’s website) but I e asked them if I can come by to see it.

Ask them to take a picture of the nameplate and send it to you. A true 2 speed would say hook up at 60hz and have 2 speeds at the same voltage hertz hook up, special winding to be able to do this. Brian

Bobby Robbinett
03-12-2022, 7:29 AM
You will need to match the motor frames to ensure that it will bolt up to your existing Bandsaw. If it were me, I would buy a $100 VFD and be done with it

Dan Friedrichs
03-12-2022, 8:42 AM
You have single-phase 240V service, correct (not 3 phase)?

I suspect that "2 speed" motor is 3 phase, so it won't work for you. The quick-and-easy way to tell a 3-phase motor from a single-phase is to look for the large pop-can-sized housings on the sides of the motor that hold the start and/or run capacitor(s). If the motor only has a wiring box and no other "bulges", it's 3 phase.

As Bobby said, frame size and mounting is going to be your biggest problem, so make sure you're addressing that.

Mark Gibney
03-12-2022, 9:11 AM
Dan, I have 3 phase, it's a rented shop in a manufacturing zone.

Bobby, mounting the motor won't be an issue, it sits on a hinged plate.
If the holes don't line up I can just drill new holes.

Dan Friedrichs
03-12-2022, 10:24 AM
Ah, sorry, didn't realize you had 3 phase. Then the 2-speed motor makes sense. Still, very little can go wrong with a 3-phase induction motor. I'd probably buy the used one and a new pulley.

Mike Kees
03-12-2022, 10:27 AM
If it was me I would just go with one of those Baldor's. Those rebuilt ones are a good price and will have new bearings.

Bill Dufour
03-12-2022, 12:46 PM
What is wrong with the existing motor? Same frame size motors can have different shaft diameters, including metric. For that many horsepower a taperlock pulley is a good idea. Bought from ebay no more expensive then a quality regular kind.
In a shop I recommend TEFC motors to keep the dust out.
Bill D

That rpm difference is not just 50 vs 60 hz. So I guess it really is a two speed motor.
50hz/60hz = 1.2

1725rpm/1480rpm = 1.17

Bruce Wrenn
03-12-2022, 8:03 PM
Why are you changing out existing motor? On 3 phase motors, either the bearings are shot, or the windings are toast. No other options for failure, except maybe burnt/broken leads to windings.

Mark Gibney
03-13-2022, 11:02 AM
Bruce, the existing motor is for European electric supply - 380 volt, 50 hz.