PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G500 Jointer Knife Install

Ken Krawford
03-11-2022, 5:02 AM
I'm trying to re-install the newly sharpened knives in my G500 jointer but am having a devil of a time keeping the springs seated under the knife so I can tighten the gib bolts. Does anyone have any tricks or do you use the jack screws instead?

Maurice Mcmurry
03-11-2022, 6:09 AM
My jointers do not have springs or jack screws. My method is to snug the knives up just a little with them high, and tap them down a tiny bit at a time checking with a straight edge and feeler gauge. Tighten them up a bit more when you are getting close to flush with the out feed table. Once they are flush tighten them. (a nice theory, it is indeed tricky). If you have jack screws do the opposite, start low with the jack screws down, springs compressed, and blades snugged, (tight enough to resist the springs but not so tight that you can't move them), and slowly work up. I do not have a blade setting jig. I set them flush with the out feed (also tricky).

glenn bradley
03-11-2022, 9:51 AM
When I ran knifed machines I used a piece of glass and some rare earth magnets like so.

The glass was heavy enough to stay put but, if yours is not just set something heavy on it, carefully. The magnet pulls the knife evenly against the glass and you sneak in with your wrench to snug the knife. Slide the glass back and finish tightening. Rotate and continue. There are also commercial versions of this but, I had the glass and the magnets.

Bill Dufour
03-11-2022, 11:38 AM
Remove the bolts and polish the heads where they bear on the gibs.
Bill D

Tom M King
03-11-2022, 12:12 PM
At the first change of blades, the first thing I do is take the jack screws and springs out, not to be used again.

Mel Fulks
03-11-2022, 12:35 PM
At the first change of blades, the first thing I do is take the jack screws and springs out, not to be used again.

Agree. I made my own magnet gig. You have to be careful who you get to grind knives, some of the machines are are worn out and make
curved knives.

Ken Krawford
03-11-2022, 2:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. In case someone down the road encounters the same problem, I found the "sockets" for the springs. They are located just inboard of the jack screws. After that, knife installation with the supplied Grizzly jig went smoothly.