PDA

View Full Version : Any idea how to accomplish this?

Robert Parchman
03-09-2022, 8:59 AM
Hello,
New to the site, was recommended by tech support at Grizzly. Forum is very well known I guess. Anyway what I would like help with is:

I have a shop fox W1752 lathe and need a bed extension.
Not in production and can not find anywhere. The part number for the extension is W1753.
Grizzly tech said perhaps a bed extension for the Grizzly G0624Z may work, the part number for that is G0625.
Can't find that one either, this site is my last hope in obtaining a used one.

[removed] Only other option is to buy another lathe, was hoping to avoid that if possible.
Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

Kevin Jenness
03-09-2022, 9:25 AM
You might want to post this on the AAW forum as well.

You could have something fabricated but it would be costly.

What type of work are you planning to do with a longer version of this lightweight lathe?

Brian Brown
03-09-2022, 1:57 PM
Try this.

abdurray.com

They show 6688 Units in Stock. I highly question this number, and I have no knowledge of the supplier. Could be a little hinky. The other thing you can do. is use a piece of card stock, and draw a pattern of the end of your lathe showing the position of the mounting holes. be as accurate as possible. Many brands of lathes are built on the same lathe design, and just painted a different color. Just take the pattern to a showroom and see if any other lathes have the ways extension at the same height from the mounting screw holes, and the space between the ways is the same. Also, check to see if the screw holes match up. If so, maybe that will work. If the size of the extension is right, but the holes don't line up, you can take it to a machine shop, and get new holes drilled. I would try Jet, Harbor freight, Grizzly, Rikon, and Baleigh. You would likely have to contact Baleigh directly. Good luck.

Robert Parchman
03-09-2022, 2:41 PM
You might want to post this on the AAW forum as well.

You could have something fabricated but it would be costly.

What type of work are you planning to do with a longer version of this lightweight lathe?

Sanding mostly,

Don Stephan
03-09-2022, 7:41 PM
Occasionally I have seen or heard a reference to making a bed extension. At one time parts were sold to make a wooden bed lathe. If you just are sanding, a wooden extension might work.

Gary Pennington
03-09-2022, 9:53 PM
Several years ago I saw a Oneway bowl lathe that the owner had made a bed extension out of laminated Baltic birch. I don't remember much about it other than it looked well constructed and the tailstock slid back & forth easily.

Gary

Earl McLain
03-10-2022, 6:36 AM
Jet 10” x 15” extension might be a candidate. Probably others. Hole pattern can be drilled if needed, as long as there’s nothing in the way in the casting and the ways are right. I don’t know if Harbor Freight makes an extension for their 10” or not, but if you could find one with motor issues—could strip it down and make a bed from a “retired” lathe. Good luck.
earl

Ed Aumiller
03-10-2022, 1:25 PM
You can probably build an extension that will work fine for very little cost.

I have a Powermatic 45 lathe that can turn 36" long. It is an old but heavy lathe. A few years ago I needed to turn 48" long bed posts. So I added a homemade extension.
It is two pieces of 2" x 2" x 18" steel angle iron. I bolted a piece of 4x4 to the end and cut 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood in a tri-angular shape to support them. Put piece of 2x4 on diagonal of plywood to make it very stable. Please see pictures.
It works great, I turned the bed posts out of cherry.
Ignore the extra holes in angle iron.. I used scrap steel that was from an old antenna tower.