PDA

View Full Version : Glueing wet white bowl

Charles Grauer
03-08-2022, 3:53 PM
I had a “wet “white oak bowl come out of the chuck. Broke a chunk out and cracked it when it hit the floor. I am wondering if epoxy (T-88))would work to repair the crack. The mortise was cut by a fellow turner, no taper to the sides, just straight. But the main cause I didn’t retighten the chuck after it set for a day.

advice is welcome. My question is: will epoxy work to glue the wet white oak or is there a better glue for this.

David Walser
03-08-2022, 8:31 PM
Charles -- Some epoxies will work with wet wood. I'm not familiar with T-88, so I cannot say if it is appropriate for this purpose. However, polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue) is perfect for use with wet wood.

HTH

Charles Grauer
03-08-2022, 10:23 PM
David. Thanks, I considered that and that may b a better choice. Thanks

Richard Coers
03-09-2022, 11:33 AM
The size and mass of your bowl will make a big difference. I would not trust Gorilla Glue as a structural adhesive. I have developed a real fear of repairing cracks and even turning cracked wood since reading about the accident Lynne Yamaguchi had. http://lynneyamaguchi.com/index.php/2012/09/28/an-accident/
You decide how valuable that blank of wood is vs your head.

Reed Gray
03-09-2022, 11:40 AM
I would use some medium or thick CA glue. It will stick to wet wood, no problem. You could even use a waste block and glue that on, but would have to flatten the bottom first.

robo hippy

Charles Grauer
03-09-2022, 8:09 PM
Thanks for your comments

Charles Grauer
03-09-2022, 8:17 PM
I wrote a long answer to your advice and I didn’t do some thing right to get it posted. Thanks. I’m going to set back and think the whole thing out. The place I want to glue up is on the rim of the already turned part. Good thoughtful advice and I appreciate your time to post to me. I only have one eye so I need to be doubly careful. Accident blog was good to read. Thanks