PDA

View Full Version : Spice Cabinet

Byron Trantham
07-19-2003, 3:50 PM
Well it's finally finished. This cabinet is designed to hold all kinds of spices. There are four vertical drawers mounted on 22" full extension slides. Inside the carcass sides (front and back) are drilled to accept standard 1/4" shelf pins. I made three different shelf units. One is simply a conventional flat shelf for large bottles, the second one (two step) is desinged to hold medium sized bottles and the last one (three step) is designed to hold smaller bottles. She just loves it.

I made it from solid Birch and Birch plywood. I used aniline dye, shellac and WB lacquer. There is a galley rail for the top that is in the shop dyring. I didn't have enough spindles so I had to wait for a delivery.

Howard Barlow
07-19-2003, 4:06 PM
Looks great, Byron. I am jealous. I need that rack in my kitchen.

Bobby Hatfield
07-19-2003, 4:13 PM
Well it's finally finished. This cabinet is designed to hold all kinds of spices. There are four vertical drawers mounted on 22" full extension slides. Inside the carcass sides (front and back) are drilled to accept standard 1/4" shelf pins. I made three different shelf units. One is simply a conventional flat shelf for large bottles, the second one (two step) is desinged to hold medium sized bottles and the last one (three step) is designed to hold smaller bottles. She just loves it.

I made it from solid Birch and Birch plywood. I used aniline dye, shellac and WB lacquer. There is a galley rail for the top that is in the shop dyring. I didn't have enough spindles so I had to wait for a delivery.

Very nice Byron, shelves on one side or both ? Also where are the slides, I read and reread your explanation and still cannot picture them, and, are the slides mounted on their sides or normal as on side of a horizontal drawer ? I like the vertical drawer design that can be used in narrow spaces which every cabinet has. By the way did you disturb somebody's nap when you pulled out the bottom drawer, it is waiting (lower right corner of pic) to finish that nap.

Doug Jones
07-19-2003, 5:07 PM
Once again, I'm impressed with the quality of work coming from this forum. Great job Byron. That is one well stocked rack as well.

Did you already have the spices before the rack was built or did you build the rack then go out and fill it up?,,,,, Just funnin', good work

Jim Becker
07-19-2003, 9:50 PM
You sure are a pro! I just sent a link to this thread to SWMBO as we are still wrestling wiith the "where to put the spices" question here...

Doug Keener
07-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Really nice! I saw a liquor cabinet made using a similar design except that both sides were accessable. I take it that both slides are located at the top and bottom of just one side of each drawer so they do not interfere with access on the open side.

Terry Hatfield
07-19-2003, 10:35 PM
Byron,

Whew....had to wait for Cheryl to leave the room before I could look at your pics one more time and post this reply.

Great job. If "you-know-who" had seen them I would have one more project on the list!! Excellent design and excellent work.

Terry

Bart Leetch
07-20-2003, 12:30 AM
Very nice Byron, shelves on one side or both ? Also where are the slides, I read and reread your explanation and still cannot picture them, and, are the slides mounted on their sides or normal as on side of a horizontal drawer ? I like the vertical drawer design that can be used in narrow spaces which every cabinet has. By the way did you disturb somebody's nap when you pulled out the bottom drawer, it is waiting (lower right corner of pic) to finish that nap.

Take another look at it Bobby it's built like a pull out pantry......... :D

David Rose
07-20-2003, 12:55 AM
Does that mean slides on the back? Can't believe LOML did not want to see it! But I am greatful. :D

David

Take another look at it Bobby it's built like a pull out pantry......... :D

Bart Leetch
07-20-2003, 1:27 AM
Does that mean slides on the back? Can't believe LOML did not want to see it! But I am greatful. :D

David

If I had to guess I think there would be a set of glides on the top & bottom of each drawer.
Take another look at the picture the rest of the cabinet doors are to the left & you are facing the left side of a slide out pantry.

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-20-2003, 7:59 AM
That is a very nice Spice Storage Unit Byron. The innovative idea is excellent, as is the execution. It is great that you can see all the items stored from the cooking area, and it opens all the way up so nothing is hidden. Surprising how much you can store in a small area with good design work. Outstanding work..............one would never guess by looking when it is closed that it is this type of cabinet............which makes it so unique. I LIKE IT! :D

Byron Trantham
07-20-2003, 8:34 AM
I didn't expect this kind of reply. Thanks for the complements. My wife really does love it. Here are the answers (and new pics while under construction). First, yes, she already had all the spices - which are not shown. The other two "drawers" are filled as well. She likes to cook and experiment. Second, the slides are on the back of the drawers. I found out later that full extension slides are also available for top and bottom mount BUT the suckers cost $60/pr! These slides ($17/pr) work very well, thank you very much. The key to this thing is the versatility. The shelves within the shelves are adjustable AND you can add any design you might want. The three styles we came up with are her designs based on what she knew she wanted for each type of storage container. Here is are couple shots of the internals.

Byron Trantham
07-20-2003, 8:44 AM
By the way did you disturb somebody's nap when you pulled out the bottom drawer, it is waiting (lower right corner of pic) to finish that nap.

Boy you don't miss a thing! Yea that Max our border collie. He's 13-14 years old but still can chase a squirrel about 40mph - never has caught one, but it's sure cool watching him go.

Carl Eyman
07-20-2003, 9:43 AM
It's great. Bon Appetit

Bart Leetch
07-20-2003, 5:23 PM
Something I have seen is a lip on the top & bottom of the open side of the slide out with a glide fastened there & on the top & bottom of the back side so the weight is distributed to both sides of the slide out. Great job Byron.