PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 18BX Discounts?

Andrew More
03-08-2022, 9:25 AM
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Laguna 18BX bandsaw for resaw. I've already got a 14" Delta with a rise block, and like so many have discovered it doesn't really cut it, and creates other problems. Looking around the 18BX seems to be well regarded, and in my price range.

I do have a question about discounts. Does this tool go on sale? I'm willing to wait a few months if that's the case. Otherwise I'm probably going to pick it up now.

Also I'd be clear, I'm probably going to be buying this locally, so any sale would need to save more than the $150-200 shipping. I've got a Rockler and Woodcraft here locally if that's an option, but I'm probably going to be buying it from a smaller local company that deals exclusively in wood working tools.

Jim Becker
03-08-2022, 9:31 AM
In the present marketplace, I'll suggest you not wait for any sales or discounts as they are unlikely. You'll also probably have to wait for the machine unless you find a rare "in stock" situation. That's kinda the present reality...and is not even brand specific.

Paul F Franklin
03-08-2022, 11:13 AM
I don't recall ever seeing a "sale" on the laguna machines. They *may* have occasionally offered a free lamp or other tiny incentive, but I'm not even sure about that. I did once get a laguna resaw blade on sale, but that was years ago. And the Woodcraft 10% off card you get for your birthday always excludes power tools. So I agree with Jim, buy it now. With the current environment, all waiting is likely to do is get you a price increase, not a sale.

Andrew More
03-08-2022, 12:04 PM
Thanks Paul, that's what I was looking for. I couldn't remember, so I just wanted to check. You and Jim may be correct about the inflation, or it could be that we're going to have a recession in about 6 months, at which point I'd expect discounts, but who knows. ATM I just want to make sure I'm not making a few hundred dollar mistake, so I'm double checking.

Lloyd McKinlay
03-08-2022, 2:28 PM
It might be worth a few minutes to call Laguna and ask what incentives they may have. If I remember correctly I got a nice discount on a Driftmaster fence and a couple blades but that was probably ten years ago. I also didn't have a local option.

Mark Visconti
03-08-2022, 2:45 PM
Given the current economic, transportation, and other issues, if you can find a discount jump on it. Probably good not to wait too long. I waited too long and could have bought a better bandsaw for the same price. But at least it was in-stock...

You could also consider that if prices go down on tools in the future, you can always save money on those tools you don't have yet ;)

Nick Crivello
03-08-2022, 3:48 PM
Haven’t had much opportunity to use it yet, but got an 18bx last summer. It’s increased in price by about $800 since I ordered it. Keep that in mind while waiting for a sale… ;)

Rod Wolfy
03-09-2022, 9:02 PM
Gas alone has gone up by 10 percent in the last month, which means a likely 10 percent upcharge in raw materials, shipping, etc. If you wait a couple months, then today's price will feel like a sale!