PDA

View Full Version : had an idea,..........

Eric John
03-07-2022, 10:56 AM
im new to spraying and was wondering.......
ill be spraying pro bond primer and then emerald urethane.
fuji 4 system.
in between coats...... would it be feasible or advisable to
keep and extra pps cup filled with water.
to semi clean out the gun between coats?
or should i really break down the whole gun and clean it well.

regards
eric

Jim Becker
03-07-2022, 10:59 AM
Well...you could do that, but honestly, it's take about 5 minutes to wash out the gun with hot water out of the tap, including disassembly/assembly and a quick dry out with compressed air. I would also never switch between two different finishing products without completely cleaning the gun as they may or may not be compatible chemically.

Eric John
03-07-2022, 12:03 PM
Well...you could do that, but honestly, it's take about 5 minutes to wash out the gun with hot water out of the tap, including disassembly/assembly and a quick dry out with compressed air. I would also never switch between two different finishing products without completely cleaning the gun as they may or may not be compatible chemically.

Thanks Jim,

it was just a thought, but i imagine being more fastidious about keeping the gun clean
really is the better solution.
I have no idea how this project is going to go as it will be a first,
I have about 22 doors to paint. i think this is going to take some time.

Tom M King
03-07-2022, 12:32 PM
That's another reason to like airless. No need to clean between such coatings since there is no air in the system. Just push the primer out with water (assuming probond is water bourne-I don't know it), and start whenever you're ready for the paint. 22 house doors, or cabinet doors? That's going to be a lot of refilling a cup for house doors.

Prashun Patel
03-07-2022, 12:39 PM
For waterbased topcoats like Target products, I don't clean in between coats. At the end of the day, though, I rinse the gun through hot water until the stream out the nozzle runs clear. I only disassemble and clean completely at the end of the job.

For paint and high solids primers, I would rinse the gun between coats under the tap. I wouldn't disassemble. Just make sure it's dry when you do the next coat, or flush out the the first several seconds of the next coat on scrap.

Jim Becker
03-07-2022, 1:00 PM
Yes, I don't clean between coats, either...but I do clean between "products" as noted.