PDA

View Full Version : Edge sander with possible rebuild

Bobby Robbinett
03-07-2022, 7:02 AM
Got some questions for you guys about an edge sander. There is a guy down the road from me with an almost 8ft long edge sander. I am not a 100% sure on the brand, but it’s an old cast iron machine like a Whitney, GreenLee, or Acme style. As a matter of fact, I think it is one of those three. It is the largest and longest edge sander I have ever come across. Anyway, the guy is asking $850. Only thing is, it has been sitting outside for several years covered with a loose fitting tarp with lots of holes it in. I know that I will likely need to do a full tear down and rebuild, I am capable of that. I just wonder if it’s worth it or if parts will be difficult to find? It is a duel voltage 3ph machine and I do have 3ph power. I have always wanted a long edge sander like this but the only ones that I ever see are over $4,500 on the used market, if not substantially more.

My other idea would be to order a Chinese brand conveyer feed edge sander from a Chinese company. They are pretty sweet and nice to have in a shop that builds a lot of cabinet doors. They come in sanding belt style or brush style, with or without an adjustable fence. Nice machines but with shipping the price would be close to $5k.

Just looking for some opinions on which option is going to be the best or if the old cast iron unit is even worth messing with.

Tom Bender
03-13-2022, 7:37 PM
For a production shop you should factor in what your time is worth.

Terry Therneau
03-13-2022, 10:56 PM
I don't find any edge sanders by Whitney or Greenlee on vintagmachinery.org, and it has most everything. The common ones discussed on owwm.org are Acme, Ekstrom- Carlson, Crouch, Newton, and Oakley; with Acme the most common but not as massive. The general wisdom there is "one of the last machines you tend to buy, and one of the last ones you will sell." I think I use my EC sander at some point on every project, it is indispensible for inset cabinet doors. In any case, there isn't much to go wrong on them except bearings and the graphite paper (as a facing on the platen). Both are quite managable to replace. Adding a VFD to a 3PH machine allows variable speed, which is very nice. I would take a closer look.

Terry T.

Bobby Robbinett
03-14-2022, 7:05 AM
I don't find any edge sanders by Whitney or Greenlee on vintagmachinery.org, and it has most everything. The common ones discussed on owwm.org are Acme, Ekstrom- Carlson, Crouch, Newton, and Oakley; with Acme the most common but not as massive. The general wisdom there is "one of the last machines you tend to buy, and one of the last ones you will sell." I think I use my EC sander at some point on every project, it is indispensible for inset cabinet doors. In any case, there isn't much to go wrong on them except bearings and the graphite paper (as a facing on the platen). Both are quite managable to replace. Adding a VFD to a 3PH machine allows variable speed, which is very nice. I would take a closer look.

Terry T.

Thanks for the response Terry. I am going to look at it this week sometime. The guy measured it and the usable platen surface is close to 96”. It is huge. I am still not sure on the name of the manufacturer. Being that it’s been outside for a while with a loose and worn out tarp covering it I am planning to replace the motor bearings, the graphite and might pull the spindles and their chains and sprockets to soak them in white vinegar and lube then reinstall.