PDA

View Full Version : Time to replace my 3x21 belt sander

Alex Zeller
03-06-2022, 8:50 PM
I rarely use the belt sander but when I do it's nice not to have to try to borrow one. What I have now is at least 30 (probably closer to 40) year old Craftsman. It's still using the original drive belt and works just fine except the rubber drive wheel has gotten hard and now the belts slip. At first I thought maybe it was bad joints in the belt but what's happening is the belt occasionally slipping on the wheel is damaging the joint on the inside of the belt causing belt joints to fail.

So now I'm trying to decide if I should get a 4x24 vs a 3x21. The downside seems to be that the local stores don't stock 4x24 belts so if I need one in a hurry I could be forced to wait on a delivery. Since I don't use a belt sander very often I don't like to keep too many on hand. What are others opinion about a 4x24 sander? Pricewise they seem not too much more than a 3x21. Are they too big and bulky? Belt sanders aren't really a nimble tool. Then there's brands. Right now I'm leaning towards Makita simply because I worked at a shop that had them and they seem to work just fine. But I'm open to pretty much any brand.

Robert Hayward
03-06-2022, 10:07 PM
I have one of each. A newer Rigid 3X21 and an older Porter Cable 4X24. Neither one gets used much. The PC is a beast. Heavy and powerful. The Rigid is lightweight and easy to use one handed. Just used the Rigid this weekend sharpening my lawnmower blade.

Mike Kees
03-06-2022, 11:33 PM
I have a 4x24 Porter Cable that as Robert stated is a beast. Also have a Makita 9924. Both will go all day but the Makita is lighter and nicer to use for "finesse " work like scribing to a line in fitting cabinet panels to a wall. I would look for a Makita.

andy bessette
03-06-2022, 11:41 PM
Best belt sander I've ever used has been the Bosch.

Warren Lake
03-07-2022, 12:06 AM
If this sander ever dies ill be a Flea Bay finding another one. It was used when I got it, 45 years old now and it was used hard till I I built a stroke sander. Later upgraded twice. Made in USA quality that matches old Senco. Many times it was hot enough to cook a pizza and it never phased it. The on and off switch was replaced by a heavy duty one and it was re greased inside once by the past owner who sold it to me. Rockwell made good stuff.

Alex Zeller
03-07-2022, 12:29 AM
The belt sander I had before this one was a pre plastic craftsman. The drive belt guard was steel who everything else was aluminum. One day it took a fall and broke the front handle off. It was a beast. The other sander I had was an old Porter Cable that looked like a 50's locomotive. It was a chain drive that a bearing went and the armature ground to a halt. That was a nice sander but before the internet so when it came to parts either they still sold new parts or it wasn't fixable.

I do have a Bosch palm sander that Ford gave me to test drive an F150. I've used it a lot and the only issue was the hooks on the pad no longer held the sandpaper. Otherwise it's been great. I'll take a look at their belt sanders.

Rich Engelhardt
03-07-2022, 7:23 AM
I bought a B&D "Dragster" 3X21 - simply because the nose of it will fit under the lower rail of a deck railing so I could sand there when sanding down an outside deck,
That was something like 15 years ago & the stupid thing is still going strong.

If you ever have the need to reach under something to sand - the "Dragster" is a decent lower cost tool.

Carl Beckett
03-07-2022, 7:29 AM
So now I'm trying to decide if I should get a 4x24 vs a 3x21.

I had one of each. When I parsed the shop a while back I let the 3x21 go and kept the 4x24. When I am using a belt sander it is for heavier/more crude material removal and the larger footprint seems to serve that better. Plus less apt to dig in since more stable.

A long time ago Dewalt had one on a base that could flip up on your bench and use stationary. If you dont have something like that already it might be a nice feature.

(some of them can be LOUD - dont know if they are all that way, but quieter would be nice).

Dave Sabo
03-07-2022, 8:19 AM
I’d suggest an entirely different approach - a geared rotary sander .

Haven’t used my belt sanders since getting one. Even for fitting scribes.

This is the best value going:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Power-Tools-Aggressive-Woodworking/dp/B07WK42NC5?th=1

Mike Kees
03-07-2022, 10:08 AM
Dave is that just a sander set up on a grinder body ? What is the RPM ?

Frank Pratt
03-07-2022, 10:18 AM
I have an ancient Makita 9924DB (still a current model) 3x24 sander that also takes 3x24" belts. That thing just won't die, despite a lot of use & abuse. The platen protrudes on one side so you can sand right up to a perpendicular surface on that side. I have no problem getting 3 or 4" belts for it, usually ordered online. My Ridgid oscillating sander sander takes 4x24 belts so that's the only size I buy now. I've had great luck with Klingspor belts & have never had one break at the seam, even on belts over 10 years old.

Paul F Franklin
03-07-2022, 10:25 AM
I’d suggest an entirely different approach - a geared rotary sander .

Haven’t used my belt sanders since getting one. Even for fitting scribes.

This is the best value going:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Power-Tools-Aggressive-Woodworking/dp/B07WK42NC5?th=1

Dave, how do you avoid cross grain scratches when using this on something wide in place of a belt sander? I can see how it would work well for scribes where the sanded edge isn't seen, but what about other uses?

Jim Becker
03-07-2022, 10:30 AM
I have a Bosch 3x21, purchased a couple decades ago. I've used it maybe twice in each decade. I typically use my Rotex 150 for heavy removal. It works fine and the only negative is the very small dust port that's more of a challenge to adapt a hose from an extractor to. I actually do have a sanding frame for it in case I want to do a large flat surface and minimize risk of gouging.

As to the size decision, the work you want to do with it has to enter into things...the smaller unit is more versatile and easier to handle. The larger one is "mo better" for large surfaces where mass and stability come into play. A really good one can rip your arm off... LOL

andy bessette
03-07-2022, 10:42 AM
I cannot imagine substituting a rotary sander for jobs better done using a belt sander. But it's all dependent on the type of work you do and the skill you have using the specific tool.

Frank Pratt
03-07-2022, 11:02 AM
I cannot imagine substituting a rotary sander for jobs better done using a belt sander. But it's all dependent on the type of work you do and the skill you have using the specific tool.

This. They are different tools for different applications. While there's overlap, one is not a substitute for the other.

Kevin Jenness
03-07-2022, 11:27 AM
I have an ancient Makita 9924DB (still a current model) 3x24 sander that also takes 3x24" belts. That thing just won't die, despite a lot of use & abuse. The platen protrudes on one side so you can sand right up to a perpendicular surface on that side. I have no problem getting 3 or 4" belts for it, usually ordered online. My Ridgid oscillating sander sander takes 4x24 belts so that's the only size I buy now. I've had great luck with Klingspor belts & have never had one break at the seam, even on belts over 10 years old.

I have that same sander, at least 35 years old. I can't kill it. I made a hose adapter for my vacuum hose. When (if) it dies I will replace it with a Makita 9404 variable speed 4" x 24" model.

You can run 3"wide belts on a 4" sander if necessary.

Until it died I had an Elu belt sander with variable speed that went down to a creep, just faster than hand sanding. That was a really nice feature that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Frank Pratt
03-07-2022, 12:51 PM
I have that same sander, at least 35 years old. I can't kill it. I made a hose adapter for my vacuum hose.

I used an ABS pipe coupling, a heat gun & some epoxy to make a fitting to connect to that awkward rectangular port on the sander. Much better with a vac attached. Mine is also at least 35 years old, maybe 40. My wife bought it for me for a birthday present & it has turned out to be a great choice.

Jim Becker
03-07-2022, 12:59 PM

This. They are different tools for different applications. While there's overlap, one is not a substitute for the other.

If for some reason my mention of my Rotex made it seem like I was advocating rotary "instead" of belt, I apologize because that wasn't my intention. I own both as noted, but have rarely been in a situation where the belt sander was the right tool for the job...for my particular projects. The last time I actually pulled it out, it got used as a poor-man's tiny edge sander. :)

Alex Zeller
03-07-2022, 2:00 PM
The key seems to be that the one tool in your shop that will almost never die is a belt sander. There's not much to them. I can't say I've done any small projects where nimbleness would be of value. I think I'll go with a 3x24 and see if I can soften the rubber drive wheel on my old sander. Belt sanders seem to be a dying bread. Bosch, Milwaukee, and Dewalt no longer make them. I haven't looked into a Festool Rotex simply because I do have a 7" disc sander that gets even less use than my belt sander.

Warren Lake
03-07-2022, 2:36 PM
a belt sander is a necessary tool. I will always use the stroke sander first choice if possible as 6 x 309" belt. Before stroke sanders the belt sander was my only choice then random then hand straight line or belt hand to hand straight line. some work can be too large or heavy to get onto a stroke sander so then next best thing is the belt sander. Id never be without one.

Dave Lehnert
03-07-2022, 4:17 PM
I looked for a new belt sander some time ago, looked to me they are kinda dinosaurs now. DeWalt did not even offer a belt sander any longer (at the time) Ended up buying a 1980's Craftsman at a second hand store.

Warren Lake
03-07-2022, 4:24 PM
Dinasours are good, didnt you watch the Flintstones?

mike stenson
03-07-2022, 4:24 PM
Maybe because they elected to market the PC 352vs? Actually, this would finally be a good strategy.

johnny means
03-07-2022, 4:46 PM
I've got the little Bosch, maybe it's a Ryobi "brick" sander. Amongst a half a dozen or so belt sanders, it's my go to and has been with me the longest. The brick shape make it super versatile, as it can be clamped in place or to jigs for all sorts of uses.

Jim Dwight
03-07-2022, 5:43 PM
I have a 3x21 belt sander but I almost never use it for the reasons Jim B already suggested. I have a Bosch orbital sander with 5mm stroke and "turbo" mode. It removes wood as fast as my belt sander. Plus it's just flip a switch and I am in orbital mode. Those suggesting a belt sander is an absolute requirement need to try an orbital with rotary mode. You might find the newer tool is worthwhile and even better. No digging in at the edge of the sander if you are not careful, for instance. It is quite a different tool than a 5 inch orbital with 3mm stroke.

andy bessette
03-07-2022, 6:13 PM
... Those suggesting a belt sander is an absolute requirement need to try an orbital with rotary mode. You might find the newer tool is worthwhile and even better. No digging in at the edge of the sander if you are not careful

Not a chance.

The digging in only occurs with poor technique.

Tom M King
03-07-2022, 7:19 PM
I used to use the one handed Porter-Cable for trimming horses hooves. This just made me realize that I don't know what happened to it. My 4x24 Rockwell is from the mid '70's, and I don't remember how old the Bosch 3x21 one is. Both of those still work but they're used so seldom that any belts I have for them have passed their end of life just from age.

Warren Lake
03-07-2022, 7:35 PM
Small belt sander belts have the life span of a fruit fly. Some manufacturers quoted me one year I think 3M was the highest with three years. I have stroke sander belts 40 years old some in unopened boxes that were in the attic hot and cold over the years. They work fine. Not sure if its more heat in the little tiny ones but the joints are junk with any amount of time depending on the manufacturer.

Jim Becker
03-07-2022, 8:21 PM
Belt sanders seem to be a dying bread. Bosch, Milwaukee, and Dewalt no longer make them.

I suspect that part of that is because there are other ways for flattening surfaces that are a lot more popular these days, such as drum and wide-belt sanders, and other tools like the aforementioned Rotex for heavy sculpting and stock removal. These other methods most likely have cut into the market for hand-held belt sanders enough that it's discouraged manufacturers from continuing to make them.

Warren Lake
03-07-2022, 9:26 PM
ive sanded lots of stuff that would not fit a wide belt or a drum sander. Stroke sander many things as you can drop the table towards the floor if stuff fits in or at times you can hang some stuff off the front of the table. They can do stuff a wide belt or drum cant.

Ive done speaker cabinets so large and heavy that they could not go on the stroke sander. You can run down to at least 24 grit on a belt sander. Basically rocks.

Dave Sabo
03-07-2022, 10:39 PM
Dave is that just a sander set up on a grinder body ? What is the RPM ?

No, it is not.

7. 5 amp variable speed motor (no load speed: 290 to 640 RPM, no load orbit speed: 3300 to 7300 OPM)

it’s way more than that.
https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/sanders-get75-6n-200696-p/

Dave, how do you avoid cross grain scratches when using this on something wide in place of a belt sander? I can see how it would work well for scribes where the sanded edge isn't seen, but what about other uses?

You obviously don’t - they are worked out with successfully finer grits like all other sanding operations. If you’re flattening a tabletop it’s likely you’re not going to be able to do it with a belt sander going with the grain 100% of the time. How would you remove those scratches ?

Michael Schuch
03-07-2022, 10:55 PM
I also have both. My Porter Cable 4x24 gets the most use. I have never had a problem finding belts for it.

Mel Fulks
03-08-2022, 12:52 AM
I also have both. My Porter Cable 4x24 gets the most use. I have never had a problem finding belts for it.

Those 4x24 Porter Cables are easier to use than the 3 inch ones , the 3 inch will rock side to side for beginners.

Alex Zeller
03-08-2022, 1:07 AM
I have a disc sander and it removes stock very fast but it doesn't flatten like a belt sander (or maybe it's me). I have or have access to almost every type of of sanding machine other than a stroke sander but when doing something like this I haven't found anything that beats a belt sander.

Ron Selzer
03-08-2022, 11:34 AM
3x24 Porter Cable 503 have to find a used ne as no longer made
example PC 503 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/384763702932?hash=item5995b42e94:g:27oAAOSw~spiD98 I)

Alex Zeller
03-08-2022, 2:14 PM
3x24 Porter Cable 503 have to find a used ne as no longer made
example PC 503 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/384763702932?hash=item5995b42e94:g:27oAAOSw~spiD98 I)

I had one that style (in an earlier post I called it a locomotive style sander). It was a great sander and I wish mine hadn't died. There's a brass gear that connects the drive shaft going to the chain to the motor armature that wore out on mine. It was still possible to get back when mine died but it was a major job to get to it so the tool repair guy wanted more than it was worth to repair it. I was going to do it myself but I ended up selling it in parts for $25 as I had too many other projects. I'm not sure if I want to buy a sander that hasn't been made in almost 20 years. Parts, like that brass gear, most likely to break are the ones that will be the hardest to find and I'm sure command a high price if they can even be found. The 503 has an oil bath chain and mine had a very small leak. The output shaft was slightly rusted. Wasn't a problem using it but if it sat for some time I would have to add oil. I'm just looking for a tool that can sit on a shelf for months that I can pick and just use.

Lawrence Duckworth
03-08-2022, 8:23 PM
Dinasours are good, didnt you watch the Flintstones?

absolutely the BEST ACTOR EVER!!! 475520

Jim Dwight
03-09-2022, 9:15 AM
I think we all need to find ways to work at we are comfortable with and give us the results we want/need. I wouldn't fault anybody for wanting to continue to use a belt sander. They work and remove material quickly. They also do not make swirl marks. If you do not want to try a Festool Rotex or a much less expensive but otherwise similar Bosch, that's OK with me. There have been many who thought track saws had little to offer versus a circular saw and guide. Most if not all who tried one found out otherwise. I think big orbital sanders with a rotary mode are a little bit similar. You don't have to have one and there are other ways to do the work, but it is a very nice alternative to have which is in some ways better.

My biggest complaint with my belt sander is not results, it's that the belts take up a fair bit of space to store and seem to come apart at the seam too often when they get old. It is not as versatile a tool as my Bosch DEVS 1250. I can do final finish sanding with the Bosch in orbital mode and I have used it in rotary mode with a 40 grit disk to take decades of paint off siding on my house. I have used my belt sander to 150 grit but never above and always make a pass with an orbital with 220 grit afterwards on furniture. I do not like a belt sander to flush up door joints or face frame joints or things like that. I see a belt sander as a less versatile tool than a dual mode orbital. Both can be excellant useful tools but the dual mode orbital is more versatile.

Ole Anderson
03-09-2022, 9:50 AM
At one time I had both the PC 3x21 and the PC 4x24. I still have the smaller one as it seemed to actually remove material faster than the bigger one.

BOB OLINGER
03-09-2022, 12:28 PM
FWIW - I find a belt sander occasionally works for me on certain applications. I have an older 3 x 21 Craftsman and a newer 3 x 21 HF. Yes, HF - made out of plastic, it is lighter and easier to maneuver. With only occasional use, I saw no reason to spend for a higher priced name brand. It performs just as good as the Craftsman.