PDA

View Full Version : Jam saw?

Bill Lewis
01-18-2006, 2:44 PM
Jam saw? or should that be Jamb saw? hmmm? I think the latter.

I recall seeing a relatively inexpensive version of some such thing awhile back, and even seem to remember seeing it at HD. I went looking for one the other day and couldn't find it anaywhere. I think it was made by either Ryobi, or Bosch and it wasn't sold specifically to be a jamb saw, but rather a sort of multi-purpose close cutting thing. Anyone remember seeing such a tool? Or have any suggestions?

My wife (no kidding) is getting tired of manually cutting the door jamb/casing with a small saw I have that has an offset handle and a reversible (pivoting) blade. I thought I would do her a favor and find a power tool that would do a better job without so much effort. Of course she only has another 7 doors to do, and not even both sides!

Steve Clardy
01-18-2006, 3:13 PM
Someone makes a less expensive one than the regular jamb saw.
It's basically a 4" grinder, with saw blade and a depth stop type guard.
Can't remember the name of it.
Watched a tile installer using one, worked great.

Rick Lizek
01-18-2006, 5:36 PM
A quick google search will turn up jamb saws from the Crain, which is the industry standard to some other ones priced quite a bit less.

Richard Wolf
01-18-2006, 5:57 PM
I think this is what you are looking for;
www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail.htm?H=175981&G=54928&I=55132

Richard

Tim Devery
01-18-2006, 6:10 PM
I am I Hardwood floor installer, and YES it is from Crain.
Price is about $300, for the old style
Newer version is called Multi-undercut saw $219
There is also a hand saw made for jambs, The blade two sides and is tapered in on the front.
I usually just use a cheap "shorty" hand saw if cutting a few jambs.
The reason for cheap is, never know where the jamb was nailed..

Mark Rios
01-18-2006, 6:16 PM
I think this is what you are looking for;
www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail.htm?H=175981&G=54928&I=55132

Richard

I have this saw that Richard mentioned and I love it. It comes with a kit box and blades and a mmiter set-up for the saw. Pretty neat really although I don't believe I would ever need the miter table. Amazon has it here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000223FQ/qid=1137625638/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2505446-8502426?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

It is included in their sale on power saws so the normal $149 price becomes $134 with free shipping.

Bill Lewis
01-18-2006, 8:28 PM
Richard and Mark,
That's the one I was thinking about! Thanks a bunch! Now I wonder if getting it with the miter box would be worth it? It might make installing shoe molding a lot easier too. Any other uses?

BTW we have been using (I did one too) the saw pictured below. It's called a "flush-cut dovetail saw". The teeth though fairly sharp, aren't set properly, so it doesn't cut very fast. Basically it is a cheap one, I know there are better versions of this saw, but I doubt I'd be that happy with the process of using those either. I couldn't imagine cutting dovetails with this saw.

BTW, My wife first wanted to use the sawzall, but I talked her out of it.:eek: After using the dovetail saw for awhile she asked if I thought using a short crosscut hand saw would be any better. I told her it wouldn't be any easier, but I saw her returning it to the shop later after trying it anyway. So she was all for looking for a power alternative.

I have to tell you guys that my wife hangs in there pretty well when it comes to construction projects. She'll use just about every tool I have except the table saw.

Jamie Buxton
01-18-2006, 9:35 PM
Another muscle-powered saw which works very nicely is a Japanese pull saw -- the kind with the handle coming straight out the back. The blade is flexible enough that you can hold the handle without barking your knuckles on the subfloor. I put a piece of scrap flooring on the subfloor next to the jamb and rest the flat of the blade on the scrap while I saw the jamb. It takes only a few seconds to cut the jamb -- faster than you can find the outlet and plug in the power saw.

Michael Ballent
01-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Fein Multi-Master with e-cut blade. I used the heck out mine during my laminate installation :D Great tool, that also works as a sander from my understanding. The blade is nice and thin so there is little gap between the laminate floor and the bottom of the door jam.

Christian Aufreiter
01-19-2006, 7:42 AM
How about Bepo (http://www.bepo-elektrowerkzeuge.de/uk/index.html)?

Hope this helps,

Christian

Jason Roehl
01-19-2006, 9:04 AM
I second the Japanese-style pull saw. I used one of those pivoting blade thingies once, and I think I could have cut the jambs quicker with my dull pocketknife. A pull saw, hammer, chisel and a scrap of the flooring to be installed, and all is right with the world. (The hammer and chisel are for "transitional doorways" where you change to another type of flooring at a different height.)

Jason