PDA

View Full Version : Table extension hardware

Alan Kalker
03-06-2022, 12:50 PM
I have been commissioned to build a dining table with extensions. I am looking for:
- A built in butterfly extension that can roll out from the end. Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChD9kPIREGH0Q6RmBzFPjWw. The BerryDesign Co website in the UK who makes this table is no longer working so I can't ask them where they get the hardware.
- The concealed casters that fit under the legs.
- I'm wondering who you like for high end butterfly extension hardware for those clients who want the best and for whom money is not a concern?
Thanks

Alansfinewoodworking.com

Jamie Buxton
03-06-2022, 4:38 PM
If we’re talking about the same kind of table, it can be built without any special hardware.
The leaves are mounted on long arms which cross the table. The arms are set at an angle so that the extension leaf rises as it is pulled out. The table’s top is somewhat loose. It cannot move horizontally, but it can go up and down a bit. As a leaf is pulled out, it makes that side of the table top rise. When the leaf is fully extended, the top can drop back down into its regular height.
In the ones I’ve seen, the arms are wood.

Myles Moran
03-06-2022, 6:08 PM
I did my kitchen table with a set of butterfly leaves in the middle. I used soss hinges to fold them, and I can't imagine any other product having as good of a result. I spent a lot of time perfecting the depth of routing for them so the gaps on the finished top were all consistent and looked nice. I can't imagine anything nicer that could be used in this application.

For pivoting the leaves, someone here recommend to me the lee valley butterfly leaf pivot kit. It works great, but I wouldn't call it high end - to me it's more of an economical product that works well. I'm very happy with the results however when I open the table, the big hollow rod doesn't look as clean to me as something I had machined out of solid brass with a thick, solid (not tubular) stainless pivot rod. The lee valley solution is great, but if you're dealing with a "no budget" application, I would have the pivot blocks screwed to the table made from brass and put a piece of polished stainless drill rod in as the pivot.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2022, 9:26 PM
Alan, a butterfly extension table is on my "to do" list and I ordered the hardware from Lee Valley. Here's the link: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/hardware/table-hardware/extenders-and-leafs/66492-tube-hinge-leaf-mount-mechanism

Phillip Mitchell
03-07-2022, 9:44 AM
I am building one right now for a client (expanding from 60” to 100” and will have the butterfly type hinged leaf) and am using hardware from Poettker. Very high quality extruded aluminum slide hardware that is customizable depending on what you need. Their website will give you some idea, though it’s much better to call the US office (based in NC) and talk with the guys there about exactly what you’re trying to do.

They deal with small one person shops (like me) and huge furniture companies and have been more than happy to talk with me multiple times on the phone / email about my specific project and hardware needs.

Alan Kalker
03-07-2022, 9:54 AM
Thanks for all the responses. This should be enough to go on. Poettker looks like what I'm looking for. Do their slides come with the hardware for the butterfly leaf?

Phillip Mitchell
03-07-2022, 12:28 PM
It’s a separate kit of hardware but yes, they do have that hardware. I would advise calling them and talking details and they will help you select the best hardware. I think the butterfly leaf kit is called the FM Kit, iirc. The hinges are similar/identical to SOSS hinges.

Alan Kalker
03-07-2022, 1:27 PM
It’s a separate kit of hardware but yes, they do have that hardware. I would advise calling them and talking details and they will help you select the best hardware. I think the butterfly leaf kit is called the FM Kit, iirc. The hinges are similar/identical to SOSS hinges.

Thanks Phillip. I just called them and yes, they were extremely helpful.