PDA

View Full Version : cutting a curved rebate

Howard Pollack
03-05-2022, 9:37 AM
Hi. I'd like to make an elliptical frame for a piece of glass that will be the top of a coffee table. The glass would fit into a rebate cut into the inside edge of the frame. I could cut that rebate with a router, but I'd prefer to do it by hand. This would be like cutting the ledge for edge banding on a guitar, only much larger. If folks could recommend a technique for doing this I'd appreciate it. It needs to come out very clean as it will show. Thanks. -Howard

Maurice Mcmurry
03-05-2022, 10:34 AM
475224 475225
Purfling cutter, Chisels, Sandpaper.

475223 How do you eat an Elephant?

-one bite at a time.

Michael Cuthriell
03-05-2022, 11:32 AM
I use the item pictured. You can make the radius anything you like. I first establish the rebate edges with a wheel marking gauge and use the tool to remove waste by starting very shallow and tapping the chisel in a bit at a time.
Sorry but I cannot upload pictures. When I figure it out I will post them.
ANyone have any help on uploading pictures from my desktop?

Mark Rainey
03-05-2022, 12:42 PM
Howard, I cut a curved rebate in my seat, and then used carving gouges to remove the waste. The line for the rebate was marked with a marking gauge that has two roller guides that follow a curve easily, as opposed to a typical marking gauge that has a straight fence.

Phil Mueller
03-05-2022, 12:55 PM
Cool tool, Mark. Who makes that? You know I just have to have one!

Lee Schierer
03-05-2022, 12:57 PM

You have to be a contributor to post photos.
(https://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php) The minimum cost is $6 per year and it helps keep the forum open to everyone. Simply click on the link in this post or the yellow donate button at the top of every page.

Dave Zellers
03-05-2022, 1:07 PM
You have to be a contributor to post photos.
(https://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php) The minimum cost is $6 per year and it helps keep the forum open to everyone. Simply click on the link in this post or the yellow donate button at the top of every page.

All the cool kids are doing it!

It's 1.642710472279261 cents per day.

Mark Rainey
03-05-2022, 1:17 PM
Cool tool, Mark. Who makes that? You know I just have to have one!

Phil, it is the Newkiton marking gauge I got on Amazon..I think it is a Chinese tool but it does the job for me. I just checked Amazon & it is not currently available. I was surprised that there were no quality marking gauges on the market that handled curves…Woodjoy made one in the past but I believe he shut down. I think Chris Schwartz has instructions to modify a standard gauge.

James Pallas
03-05-2022, 1:59 PM
You may be able to use a stringing cutter or the fence for a router plane.
Jim

Tom Trees
03-05-2022, 3:01 PM
This video of a Co Cavan cooper might be of interest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcE8OTSZods

Jim Koepke
03-05-2022, 3:34 PM
Actually my understanding is members may be able to post images, they have to be contributors to see images that are hosted on SMC's servers.

ANyone have any help on uploadi

If one is replying to a thread, above the text entry area is a banner with small icons. One of them looks like a frame with a tree in it. Click on this and it will offer the option of posting an image from your computer or a URL.

If the REPLY button is clicked twice, it will have another banner above with a paper clip. This is for adding attachments such as images. Hint: if more than one image is to be uploaded click on the + before selecting images.

Usually my response to questions of posting images includes images of the icons.

Since Michael is not a Contributor images wouldn't appear on his screen.

jtk

Maurice Mcmurry
03-05-2022, 4:04 PM

Thank you Tom Trees! What an excellent video!

I forwarded the Video to the Patriarch and the Offspring. The responses, Wonderful! and Excellent! Thanks again.

Jim Koepke
03-05-2022, 5:39 PM

Yes it was, thanks.

jtk

Maurice Mcmurry
03-05-2022, 5:55 PM
Results from googling James Pallas's "string cutter".

Jim Koepke
03-05-2022, 7:21 PM
This would be like cutting the ledge for edge banding on a guitar, only much larger. If folks could recommend a technique for doing this I'd appreciate it. It needs to come out very clean as it will show. Thanks. -Howard

An off the wall just hit me. Would it be possible to cut cleanly inside of the ellipse and drop the cut piece down for the thickness of the glass to create a ledge (rebate/rabbet)?

Strange minds have strange thoughts.

jtk

Mark Rainey
03-05-2022, 7:25 PM
Results from googling James Pallas's "string cutter".

Maurice, I believe James recommended using the curved fence for the Veritas router plane. I will post pictures. James told me about this in the past. I had my marking gauge for curves, however, and have not used the router plane.

Maurice Mcmurry
03-05-2022, 7:37 PM
A door lip router bit would be very un-romantic. Sort of like putting an Elephant in a blender.

Maurice Mcmurry
03-05-2022, 7:43 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Rainey;3181515]Maurice, I believe James recommended using the curved fence for the Veritas router plane. I will post pictures. James told me about this in the past. I had my marking gauge for curves, however, and have not used the router plane.

475258475259475260[/
These tools are new to me.

Very nice! My stick with an X-acto blade does not feel too bad.

Howard Pollack
03-05-2022, 11:53 PM
I wasn't aware of that fence, it might just work. Or a shop-made version of the fence or a cutting gauge that had two bearings or parallel half dowels to run along a the inside edge of the ellipse to guide the cut. -Howard

Derek Cohen
03-06-2022, 12:12 AM
Howard, I posted this info on WC, but repeat it here for readers.

I am mindful that the elliptical frame will have grain issues. Some will run out, and this can create a problem if you attempted to plane with, say, a router plane.
There are special curved rebate planes - for barrels - but barrels are made of staves, and this would eliminate run out. I think they are called a croze.

Guitar bodies use purfling cutters to prepare the circumference for inlay. I would try the same technique, cutting vertically, and then using a chisel to pare out the waste about 1-2mm deep at a time. A purfling cutter or cutting gauge (rotated 90 degrees and used against the side) could be used at the end to ensure the floor was level.

Another method: I have beaded on a curve, and this is not too different from rebating.

Again, start with a cutting gauge or purfling cutter to set the boundaries an ensure the grain does not tear. Then use a scratch stock to remove the waste, such as the LV cast iron scratch stock…

Here is a link to a review I wrote:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/LVCastScratchStock2.html

Having written this, a power router would be my tool of choice.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Phil Mueller
03-06-2022, 7:23 AM
Mark, found this looking around. I ordered one. If anyone is interested, I’ll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Rob Luter
03-06-2022, 8:16 AM

I love these. I don't often wear a sportcoat in the shop.

Mark Rainey
03-06-2022, 10:21 AM
Mark, found this looking around. I ordered one. If anyone is interested, I’ll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Good find Phil...I remain mystified why our favorite tool companies do not make this. Perhaps we are too quick to run to the electric routers when faced with a challenge. Howard, with or a similar tool your project will be fun. You can scribe the line with the point, or, as I did, use a pencil lead. Once the line is marked use carving gouges that follow the curve. Do not use a chisel.

Ben Ellenberger
03-06-2022, 10:48 AM
I love these. I don't often wear a sportcoat in the shop.

I’m also enjoying his sharpening technique 4 minutes into the video. I don’t think he has any 16000 grit stones in his shop.

Charles Guest
03-06-2022, 11:48 AM
Hands: County Cavan Cabinetmakers, Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx2y7MAys20

Maurice Mcmurry
03-06-2022, 7:36 PM
I am resisting going down the "Hands" rabbit hole until I get over realizing that I
"couldn't make a nose bag for an ass".
Interestingly we have several cooperages close by. White oak timber has been a premium commodity for locals for many years. The stave mills compete for the best logs. Just as Al Capones bootleg whiskey came from Missouri, many USA whiskey barrels come from Missouri.