PDA

View Full Version : how to move this into my garage?

Albert Lee
03-05-2022, 2:25 AM
I have bought a bandsaw unsighted at an auction, didnt think I will win (bought for $500 USD!)

anyhow here it is...

Its a Wadkin B700 bandsaw, it measures 2200mm/87 inch tall, my garage door entrance is 2100mm/83 inch tall.

how do I move this beast inside the garage? Do I need to lay it down completely flat on its spine or back? I have a forklift, a pallet mover and a mobile hydraulic lift table. the machine does not have lift points!

Thank you for your time!

Brian Runau
03-05-2022, 6:55 AM
Add vertical upright support to your skid so you can tilt it to the support and strap it to the support and skid, move it under the opening then stand upright again. This way no person is supporting the weight while it is moving. Don't know if tilting it like this is bad for the saw or not.

Kevin Jenness
03-05-2022, 7:01 AM
I would lay it on its spine. Put a sling under the throat of the saw up against the tension adjuster or guide post so the center of gravity is behind the sling. Pick it up until it is resting on the back corner, then let it down on its back. Standing it up may require a chain hoist or comealong attached to an overhead beam if there is not enough headroom for the forklift.

Nice score. Is 700 the wheel diameter in millimeters?

William Hodge
03-05-2022, 7:09 AM
Sometimes removing the top wheel and guard will do it. 100 mm isn't much. 4" would be almost there.

Marc Fenneuff
03-05-2022, 9:06 AM
What kind of height do you have inside the garage? I’d be more concerned about how you’ll get it back upright. When I did this with a similarly-sized band saw and a low ceiling, we brought it in flat on its back on a pallet and used two people to tip it upright. We made sure to tip it onto a rubber floor mat so it wouldn’t scoot away as we tried to get it vertical.

Jim Becker
03-05-2022, 9:36 AM
I agree that laying it down is the safest way to move it in, but Marc makes a good point. Make sure you have enough height to tip it back up inside!!!

Wow...that thang is a beast!

Bill Dufour
03-05-2022, 10:00 AM
Not mine but good idea? I would remove the table before I touch that machine.
Lifting is normally done under the top arm. Not sure how strong the sheet metal guard is it may have to be removed to get a sling under something good and solid. If there is a threaded hole on top of the arm it is not rated for lifting!
See if the manual has anything to say.
Bill D

https://www.daltonswadkin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Wadkin-B700-800-Bandsaw-Manual-Parts-List.pdf

Tom M King
03-05-2022, 5:10 PM
Are there not two holes in the top of it to get a strap through?

Sam Force
03-05-2022, 5:28 PM
I would lay it down in the bed of a truck while still on the pallet. Build 2 uprights and 1 cross bar attached to the pallet to support the spine and then slide it out on the uprights. At that point it is already over half way standing up

Warren Lake
03-05-2022, 5:33 PM
what size and weight is the saw? I have two wadkin band saws one is real the other not so much. The 20" one with the table off I can on my own lean it over towards me and walk it anywhere i want at an angle just walking the base right and left inches at a time. The other at 2,600 lbs or whatever it is id be like coyote in the road runner and splattered. With all he ordered from Acme why did he not just order food. Pizza Pizza could have been there in under 30 minutes.

Do you have an engine picker? we once moved a wide belt sander from a hook on it, as it lifted it turned sideways, we rolled that to where wanted and stood it up between two floor joists. Two people. I didnt believe my friend that it would be okay but it worked great.

I didnt look but dont think the forklift will fit into the garage or even have room to move in there. cant tell now that ive looked but any up here ive seen in the past the mast would not fit under a low garage door.

Keith Pitman
03-05-2022, 7:53 PM
Looks like an excuse to build an new shop.

Michael Schuch
03-05-2022, 8:06 PM

Genius!!! LOL! :D

Albert Lee
03-05-2022, 8:29 PM

I love this idea... when I first got it I told myself I need a proper factory for it... it made my 43 inch wide belt sander look small...

Albert Lee
03-05-2022, 8:31 PM
what size and weight is the saw? I have two wadkin band saws one is real the other not so much. The 20" one with the table off I can on my own lean it over towards me and walk it anywhere i want at an angle just walking the base right and left inches at a time. The other at 2,600 lbs or whatever it is id be like coyote in the road runner and splattered. With all he ordered from Acme why did he not just order food. Pizza Pizza could have been there in under 30 minutes.

Do you have an engine picker? we once moved a wide belt sander from a hook on it, as it lifted it turned sideways, we rolled that to where wanted and stood it up between two floor joists. Two people. I didnt believe my friend that it would be okay but it worked great.

I didnt look but dont think the forklift will fit into the garage or even have room to move in there. cant tell now that ive looked but any up here ive seen in the past the mast would not fit under a low garage door.

Weight is about 1000lb I checked with my forklift scale. I have an engine lifter, I may have to hook one end with forklift crib and the other end with the engine crane to lay it flat safely...

Yes you are correct the forklift can not fit under the entrance...

Enough height inside the garage to tilt it up.

Albert Lee
03-06-2022, 3:43 PM
Well this is how it was done yesterday afternoon.

it was done in 2 hours, there was a few iterations before I come to this method.

The forklift can be substituted with another crane hoist if you dont have a forklift.

Marc Fenneuff
03-06-2022, 4:36 PM
Well this is how it was done yesterday afternoon.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Jim Becker
03-06-2022, 7:23 PM
Congrats on getting that in the door! Now you just have to get it where you want it to live...presumably "forever" since it's so hard to move!

Alan Lightstone
03-07-2022, 8:20 AM
Nice job, Albert. I would never have thought of that way of doing it on a hydraulic table. It really is a beast. Wow.

Kevin Jenness
03-07-2022, 8:24 AM
Definitely, time for a bigger shop.