PDA

View Full Version : Replacement 6x48 belt for belt sander

Scott Goldthwaite
03-04-2022, 3:56 PM
I need to replace the 6x48" belt on my belt sander. I normally just your standard aluminum oxide belt. Are there any belts on the market that are significantly better?

'

Bruce Wrenn
03-04-2022, 4:34 PM
I need to replace the 6x48" belt on my belt sander. I normally just your standard aluminum oxide belt. Are there any belts on the market that are significantly better?

'

Contact Klingspor (Klingspor's Wood Working Shop) as they are both retailer and manufacturer of belts.

Andrew Seemann
03-05-2022, 12:19 PM
When my father's lifetime supply of belts finally wears out (he worked at 3M), I will probably order new ones from Klingspor. The ones I got for my 6x89 have worked well, as have the ones for my drum sander.

The 3M ones are quite good as well; I think the ones he had were industrial 2nds from the company store. I might look for some of those as well. I don't use the 4x48 sander as much as I used to after getting the 6x89, so what I have will last quite a while.

Robert Hayward
03-05-2022, 12:27 PM
For woodworking I find the zirconia grit belts longer lasting than the AO ones. 6X48 belts in zirconia, ceramic or AO can be bought from Maverick Abrasives in California.

Dave Lehnert
03-06-2022, 12:08 PM
I also have had good luck with Klingspor.

Shopsmith® ceramic sanding belts available at Lowe's work very well.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shopsmith-6-in-W-x-48-in-L-80-Grit-Commercial-Sanding-Belt-Sandpaper/3456210

Bill Dufour
03-06-2022, 2:06 PM
Do not stock up and buy too many. over the years the glue will fail even just sitting on a shelf.
Bill D

Mel Fulks
03-06-2022, 2:16 PM
Do not stock up and buy too many. over the years the glue will fail even just sitting on a shelf.
Bill D

Yep. But a scientist told me we’re only a few years away from a good glue.

Andrew Seemann
03-06-2022, 5:41 PM
Bill D

I think that is more of an issue with belts for hand held sanders where the belt goes over a narrow roller. The one my 6x48 sander is probably 10 years old, possibly more.

That said, there probably is no need to buy by the dozen unless you are a production shop.

Tom Bender
03-13-2022, 7:13 PM
Yep. But a scientist told me we’re only a few years away from a good glue.

And we are 50 years from fusion power, and always will be.